The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-01-2016

Greetings, gang.

Sorry to take so long to check in. Mother-in-law passed away yesterday morning. I've been living in the hospital (along with other family members) since last Friday. Preparations under way for the funeral which will be on Monday. Burial will take place on Tuesday at a national cemetery. Lots of travel as funeral home, church, and cemetery are all spread out.

I'll be heading home on Wed. for a few days then back to eastern Iowa on next Sunday. On Monday the 12th we will visit with all three doctors - surgeon, radiologist, and oncologist.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-01-2016

Tom, Prayers and condolences to you and your family. It seems like you've been getting beaten up for a while now, let's hope things start changing for the better.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-02-2016

Morning all. News and REF DVR'd for a couple of weeks now viewed. 50 degrees out but feels like 60. Sunny and warm.
Tom, special prayers. You have had "overload". Hang in there.

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BATMAN - 12-02-2016

Good afternoon from the wet and very windy West Coast of Canuck land.

The weather people are thinking we may get a dump of the white stuff early next week. It has been a while since we have seen more than a trace of snow in this part of the country, some years the temp does not even get to freezing on the coast. Maybe the Farmers Almanac will be right this year, as it predicted at least two big dumps of snow this year. When I was a kid the local pond would freeze up in winter and it would be hockey til midnight. That pond has not seen ice in years, you don't have to convince me of global warming. Nope Lows to -6c are predicted as an Artic front comes down for a visit.

Bear, the #1 son wants to be a Crown Prosecutor and go after the scumbags he thinks get off far too easy. He then thinks he would like to make it to the position of Judge and sit on the Supreme Court of Canada. He was in the top 1% in his Provincial Exams last year and a couple of years earlier tied with two others for top mark in the province. He is getting courted by Universities from all over the world. He can basically do whatever he wants, why he would want to go over to the "Dark Side" is beyond me. He loves fierce debate and usually wipes the floor with his opponents. 357 The headmaster greets him with "high fives" when he represents his school as the results tend to go in his favour. He has also mentioned politics as a possible direction down the road. I think that would be too frustrating for him though, as he can't stand the fact that the general population has no clue what is going on in the world. He was in a speed quiz competition a while back. They posted a photo of every flag in the world and he had two minutes to name the country and its leader. He got fifty-two correct. He has been a lot smarter than me since a young age, He will admit I still have more street smarts though. I guess that is worth something.

The wife is not to be held back. Not long after we were married I came home from a long shift out in the cold at the airport. There she was with the hood up on the car replacing the water pump. She said the garage couldn't do it until the next day and she was on call that night, so she thought "how hard can it be" and then said, " I do micro surgery on animals, how hard can a water pump be". I asked if she wanted help and she said no she was just about done. It worked perfectly. Oh ya she also put in a new thermostat while she was at it. 357

For those of you having search engine issue's, try Google Chrome. My son installed that for me as Safari and Firefox just did not work anymore on the forums. Google Chrome is very fast.

Tom, hopefully, it will not be long until you are at the other end of these never ending family issue's that keep getting thrown at you. I am sure it helps at least little to be able to share them here and please know we are listening. Please keep us in the loop. Hoping for the best. Smile

Time to go hang more Christmas lights before I have to go get my daughter at school and take her to the barn for her riding lesson. ( I'LL watch that I don't break any fingers like the wife did ) It will be a cold damp three hours there for this guy. Eek
Someone said I have a model railroad layout around here somewhere. REALLY! ???? 357

Brent

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-03-2016

Good morning all, I hope your weekend is going like you planned and you've left time to work on your railroad. For me, my railroad is still packed in boxes. No room to do anything and so I'm leaving things that way until we find a place to move to. Let's hope we find what we want soon.

We've gone from well above normal temps to below normal in just a few weeks. It seems like we had to A/C on early last week, and the furnace on by the end of the week. Some areas here are into the 30's in the morning, and we haven't gotten out of the 60's for a while now. For us, that' equivalent to being below zero, but for our snowbirds, they're still walking around in shorts and flip-flops. After you've been here a few years, you tend to break out the fleece-lined jackets with the faux-fur collars that you brought with you when you migrated from up north. Speaking of migration, our small lakes around golf courses and subdivisions now have our seasonal flocks of ducks and long neck geese. They hang around to raise their chicks and go away sometime around May, along with those others that have flocked here in their motorhomes from up that way too.... I don't know if they go together, but it's always neat to see a flock of long-necks taking off and heading to another lake somewhere and going by to land in one nearby. Yet another perk for living in this area this time of the year.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BATMAN - 12-04-2016

1600HRS on the sunny West coast and all is well. Currently 6c outside, however, the weather guy predicts a quick drop to below freezing within a few hours. They had a story on the news about getting all the snow plows ready, some of the younger guys have never actually had to put plows and salt dispensers on the trucks as we haven't had snow for a long time. The weather guessers are saying we could get quite a dump by the end of the week, we will see, as they tend to over forecast in these parts. Popcornbeer
Finally got all the Christmas lights up. It sure takes a lot longer than it did forty years ago and I have way fewer to put up as well. In my younger years, Christmas spirit was measured by total wattage. I knew I had made it one year when my house was mentioned in the paper as one to drive by. 357

Stay warm and dry and safe all.

Brent

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-05-2016

Morning. Had rain yesterday late and into the night. Sunny now but more tonight. Had great Christmas parade yesterday. Was chilly but good.

Busy Ton day and night.

Hope all are doing good. Prayers for Tom. DAZ too with his situation.

Have a great week ahead.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-06-2016

Good Morning Blue
Overcast and expecting rain. Hi of 41.Christmas decorating is done and a train is under the tree.
No breaking news here, just coasting along.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-06-2016

Greetings, gang.

Cold, windy, and rainy on the shores of Lake Huron this afternoon. Right now is 36 degrees with rain and wind, a fitting end to a really crappy two weeks. Internment was today at the Great Lakes National Cemetery. Fortunately no rain until after the ceremony was over. This afternoon I'll be loading up the car for the return trip to Iowa in the morning. If all goes well it's less than 12 hours.

Many thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers through yet another difficult time.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BATMAN - 12-07-2016

Good morning, it is -6c and sunny here on the West Coast at 0830HRS. Weather warnings for significant snow and high winds through the weekend and into next week, starting late Thursday. A real winter! Just like when we were kids. 2285_ They are warning of extended power outages and to be prepared. We have lots of gas for the generator and with three gas fireplaces, the house should be nice and warm. Costco run tomorrow to stock up on food.

We had a bit of snow on Monday, they said it was the first snow in exactly 1000 days here, and even back then it was just a dusting. Lot's of rust on the plows to get off. Of course, with not having winter weather here on the coast like the rest of Canada, there are far too many people that have no idea how to deal with it. I remember several years ago we had some new Canadians move in next door and they were using oven mitts to try and clear the driveway. We all went over and had them all shoveled out in no time. On their first trip out they came home with two snow shovels and proper winter attire. They also had winter tires put on the car. Thumbsup

Wife wants my Christmas toy list. PWRS is just a short drive away from our house, so I will go on to their website and click on all the things I would like, and print off copies for all the different members of the family. PWRS are really good at helping people get things I would like. When I help people out with things, instead of buying my a bottle of rum or a case of beer they pop into PWRS and get me something for the layout. I have received things like Rapido passenger coaches for helping out. Not that there is anything wrong with Captain Morgan. 357

Well, best get on with the day. Bear have you stopped shaking down there yet?

Stay safe and warm all.

Brent

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 12-07-2016

I had my inspection at the hospital today and I seem to be fine (in that department) for another 5 years. Right now I'm starving because I've been basically on clear (or, at least, transparent) since yesterday morning and until tomorrow first thing.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-08-2016

Cloudy and chilly good morning. 50 degrees.

Tree trimmers finishing up what they didn't get several weeks ago. Done a great job.

Phone all morning. Charter Academy opening being delayed until 2018. We thought you sure are going to do a fast build to meet August 2017. Some fighting about one Commissioner not being able to make the Friday in February budget workshop. Insisting on a Saturday. In the past, all have taken off work to attend. Children.

More errands today. Leaves will wait until tomorrow. Hopefully drier.

Glad all are doing good.

BR sending cold temps my way. Nope

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-09-2016

Good morning everyone, yup, yet another weekend is upon us and we're getting closer and closer to Christmas. It's been a bit chilly for us the past week or so, lows in the 40's and highs in the upper 60's. That's about to change though and temps will be back in the normal range starting today or tomorrow... that is, if you can believe those weather people on TV. I don't have the Weather Channel desktop app on my computer anymore. I tried to download the update a while back and the only way to get it is from the MS app store. it's still free, just that when I registered to download it, MS decided that I really wanted my computer password protected and so that every time my computer woke up, I needed to use that password to unlock it. I got it back the way I wanted it and I now avoid downloading anything from MS. A shame because that app has a lot of useful data, even though it would crash frequently.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-09-2016

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and 7 this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be about 20.

Trip home took just about 12 hours and was boring, which is a good thing when driving. Yesterday was laundry day. Last night was beer and bereavement. It was good to get away from all of my troubles and laugh for a while.

This morning I'll be paying the bills. This afternoon I'll be getting the plastic on the windows and getting the tree down from the attic. Decorating will be done in stages as I search through 13 totes and a half dozen boxes of stuff. There will also be some winnowing out of old stuff no longer needed.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-10-2016

Hello Blue
Bright sun this morning........BUT
A forecast of 6 to 9 inches of snow from late tonight till Monday morning has me feeling pretty down.
I'm too old for that much snow removal. Not sure what to do, I'll see how it plays out.
A good night at Greenfield Village running Christmas trains. The catch is keeping little hands from derailing them.
Christmas club meeting tonight.
The the the that's all folks.
S.J.