The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 02-19-2017

Yesterday we went to see my sister perform. Ambitious show called Catch me if you can. She had a short part in act 2. Her ideas on the show's problems agreed with ours (she expressed them first) that making it a musical cut out a lot of development and explanation. We managed to have dinner at her place between shows.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-20-2017

Sun and 50 today.
Another record breaker yesterday @ 65.
Well without football I watched some boring TV till bedtime.
I might lube a couple more engines today, not sure yet.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-20-2017

Good morning all, a bit chilly and damp here, but no more rain until this weekend. Lots of water in the catch basins we have to keep the streets from flooding. We saw one with fog hanging over it near our house. We did get around an inch of rain this weekend, a lot for us, not as much as those folks on the coast though. Just a few more days until the spring training games start. Right now you can watch them train for free, but you have to pay to watch them play games when they start playing other teams. For us, we're still getting ready for the real estate photographer to do her thing so we can get the house on the market. We're hoping for a quick sale, but so is everyone else that's selling.....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-20-2017

Greetings, gang.

I woke to thunder, lightning, and rain. No big surprise for April but somewhat unusual for February. right now it's 54 headed for 64. Two more days of warm weather before winter returns from its spring break. The NWS is talking about a "major winter storm" for Friday with heavy snow and high winds and temps in the teens and 20s.

Ribs in the crock pot and parsley potatos for supper tonight. Not much else going on.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 02-20-2017

The furnace maintainer came today for annual inspection. He found a crack in the heat exchanger so we need a new furnace. The person that arranges that will be here tomorrow. The furnace is shut off until replaced, so we are lucky enough to have a collection of space heaters.
And I thought it would all be covered by the regular fees. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 02-21-2017

The planning for the kitchen is complete, the final offer has been received, signed and the down payment is done. I expect the same for my wife's room soon. The next two dates will be with the movers and a combined date of carpenter, plumber and electrician about power outlets and plumbing positions with respect to the locations of the new furniture.
The shower is still in a very early stage. We are waiting for a date to decide on the equipment. Looks like those guys and gals are very busy this year.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-21-2017

Good morning all. Beautiful day yesterday, temps a bit chilly, in the high 60's and lots of large puddles all over thanks to the rain this past weekend. Today is busy for us, dr. appointment, house cleaner and window washer coming early, then the real estate photographer in the afternoon. Then the fun begins, the lockbox goes on and we're listed for sale.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-21-2017

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 34 outside my window this morning with a high of 66.

Nothing accomplished outside yesterday as it rained pretty much all day. Today is a different story. My neighbor just dropped off some branches that need to be cut up for the fire pit. That will substitute for going to the gym. This afternoon will see a bike ride and hopefully some track repair work. Later on there will be a fire in the fire pit and some brats over the open flames.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-21-2017

Town Board was the best ever. Awarded the great HS athletes who were conference champs and State champs. Senator friend came and handed out General Assembly Awards too. High School only 4 years old and winning a lot.

Got one girl is track star, gymnastics star and volleyball star. Still carries a high 3 point average. She is a sophomore.

All the seniors had college scholarships.

After business secession, we had visit the citizens in attendance. Last another 45 minutes. That is the part I like.

Now for some R&R.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-22-2017

Greetings, gang.

The last of the nice weather is under way here in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. 45 and sunny headed for 65 and sunny. Rain moves in tomorrow and then snow tomorrow night and Friday. Looks like it's back to winter for a while.

Got the branches cut up and stored. I won't be able to use them until at least fall since they were still somewhat green. Also went for a bike ride and took a different route. It had more hills and that's when I discovered I had a problem with my bike. The front derailleur would not shift. When I got home I sprayed it with some cleaner/lube. Got it to shift to middle range but still wouldn't go to low range. Will work on it more today. Hopefully leaving the mechanism soaking in the cleaner overnight will loosen it up enough to work.

I did get one section of track repaired yesterday and got the Afternoon Special passenger train out to test the repairs. Train did fine for a half a loop and then the engine fell over. Found another problem which will take more extensive repairs. The ground is still too cold to sit on for the half hour or more that it will take to fix it.

On tap for today is more bike riding and hopefully a fire in the pit today. It was too windy yesterday.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-22-2017

Good morning all, nice few days here, but still plenty of puddles from the rain over this past weekend, around an inch and one half in some places here. Today is still suppose to be in the high 70's, then back down to the 60's and rain for the weekend.

Frank, nice to hear there was a good response to your meeting, not so in many parts of the country though. We'd better not discuss those or the reasons why. The good and productive ones just don't seem to be press-worthy. Congrats to the kids for a fine job too.... Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 02-22-2017

We got the final tender for my wife's room and accepted it. That completes the most delicate planning session. I wrote an email to the floor tiler and the plumber to send their final offers as all open points have been closed and I am ready to sign. Looks like the subcontractors are very busy this time.

My old colleagues (still active and retired) are arranging a meeting in restaurant close by on 3.rd March. I am looking forward to see them again and hear how they are doing. Some got a premature severance payment and might be not so happy retirees as planned. Will be an interesting dinner.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 02-22-2017

A day spent indoors. The furnace guys arrived at 8:00 am, and were done in less than 2 hours. The water heater crew arrived about noon and lasted until 4 or later. The new machine is more intrusive than the old -- mounting was moved to the exterior wall, and the piping is a new type that came in in the last 16 years. But it seems to work. They had to drill a new hole in the outside wall to give us intake and exhaust, and we seem to have a fresh air intake dangling loose.
We spent most of the day in the front room with the cats and with the door shut.
Kitchener's new streetcar (or LRV) is in the area (Galt rail yard) and is supposed to reach the car barn tomorrow. I'm a little surprised that it was supposed to take 12 days to arrive from the far end of Lake Superior. The next car is to arrive in June???

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-23-2017

Greetings, gang.

Weather whiplash! 70 at 3 PM yesterday. Blizzard warning posted for tomorrow. Right now it's 36 headed for a high of 42. Rain starts tonight and turns to snow tomorrow with 30+ mph winds and 4-8 inches of snow.

Spent almost the entire day outside yesterday and finished several projects. Also got in an eight mile bike ride. The weather has been a very rare treat for February in Iowa and I tried to make the most of it. Unfortunately this morning my body is telling me I made too much of it. Ibuprofen will be my friend for the remainder of the day.

I need to gas up the car and stop by the bank. Also need to get a few groceries. I'll be heading out to get that done in a few minutes. My only other plan is to be at my computer at about 3 to watch the latest dive by the NOAA research team. Link was posted a couple of days ago. I'm addicted!

Frank - Sounds like some great teachers along with the students.

Reinhard - now the fun begins!

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-24-2017

Greetings, gang.

Well, our friends at the National Weather Service certainly got it right this time. Right now it's 27 and windy with some blowing snow. We have received about 4 inches of snow so far and another 2-4 inches is predicted for today. Overnight winds hit 36 mph. The big drawback right now is that with the temperature so warm the snow is wet and heavy, making it difficult to move, either with the snow blower or by hand.

Not much accomplished yesterday. Today's activities will consist mainly of running the snow blower and resting.

Reinhard - what will happen with the layout during Home Remodel - 2017?

All stay safe.

Tom