The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Gumpoleon - 08-10-2014

Oh sweet merciful lord!
COFFEE!!
Misngth

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-10-2014

Cloudy and cool morning to all. Off to one of the Camp Corrals with the Golden Corral crew. RB, great coffee pot post.
All have a great week ahead.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-10-2014

Good morning all. Still looking for that rain that some of those forecasters predicted. There should be some for the next few days, if you can believe them. Why should we when they never seem to agree anyway?

AF: neat scope. I wish I had that the last time I took a plane to a service call. I remember when scopes took two people to move around, and I thought I was lucky to have one that fit into a suitcase. When Tektronix came out with the first digital they were really expensive (well in excess of $1,000) and still a lot bigger than the one you have. Let us know how well it works, I just might buy one at the price they're selling at.

RB: I hope that pot is big enough to share with us all.... Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-10-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and a forecast of 84.
No plans for the day, just gonna soak up the August weather and wish it was June instead.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-10-2014

Good afternoon. It's 87° with 71% humidity. The high will be 95°.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with [Image: cond40.jpg]

I'm without phone service this morning. Started the computer and the Magicjack didn't come up. Tried bringing it up several more times without success. So it was off to eBay to find a new one. Found one for $34.95. It should be here on or before Aug 18.

No plans for today.

[Image: P1010003-55.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Gumpoleon - 08-10-2014

Hi gang,

Looks like Denmark is in for a rough-ish night - the leftovers from tropical storm Bertha is passing us during the night with heavy rainfall, gale to storm force Winds and intense thunder.

I am looking forward to a 'quiet' 35 night before I return to petty officer school tomorrow morning.

Stay safe, gents!

Martin

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 08-10-2014

ezdays Wrote:AF: neat scope. I wish I had that the last time I took a plane to a service call. I remember when scopes took two people to move around, and I thought I was lucky to have one that fit into a suitcase. When Tektronix came out with the first digital they were really expensive (well in excess of $1,000) and still a lot bigger than the one you have. Let us know how well it works, I just might buy one at the price they're selling at.

Ezdays,

I will have to bake something so I can trouble shoot it with new scope Icon_lol Quite a difference between the old vacuum tube clunker with the olive drab case and my first modern O' scope. I have used a few scopes in school, college and on the job. At one job I had the supervisor hid all the DMMs (digital multimeters) and made use trouble shoot all day with just an O'scope I learned that a picture is worth a 1000 words as a voltage reading does not tell the whole story of what is going on in a circuit especially when dealing with very small signals in the mV and uA ranges. RF shielding of the circuit is a must to keep those signals from being lost in all the "noise".

I used to have a very basic test bench and I am trying to build up a collection of test equipment for electronics and even for some basic toy train maintenance(like E-unit, and other ancient electro/mechanical parts). I have 3 or 4 DMMS , a function generator it has sine, saw tooth, and square wave out puts, 2 Heath kit power supplies, half a dozen soldering irons and a soldering station(variable temp).

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-10-2014

I sold some test equipment on eBay about a year ago that included a Heath signal generator, a Heath DMM (bench) and one other that I can't remember what it was. Let's face it, if you can't even remember what you sold, you didn't need it in the first place. Yeah, I still use the old vacuum tube scope once in a while and I still have a number of DMM's, and somewhere plus 4 or 5 solder stations. I did save some equipment when we sold our business, but I can't see hanging on to some of it if I haven't used something in the past 14 years. Just like that old car you have stowed in the barn that keeps increasing in value as the years go by, I think some vintage test equipment does the same...I really hope so...

AF350 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:AF: neat scope. I wish I had that the last time I took a plane to a service call. I remember when scopes took two people to move around, and I thought I was lucky to have one that fit into a suitcase. When Tektronix came out with the first digital they were really expensive (well in excess of $1,000) and still a lot bigger than the one you have. Let us know how well it works, I just might buy one at the price they're selling at.

Ezdays,

I will have to bake(opps should be brake not bake Icon_lol ) something so I can trouble shoot it with new scope Icon_lol Quite a difference between the old vacuum tube clunker with the olive drab case and my first modern O' scope. I have used a few scopes in school, college and on the job. At one job I had the supervisor hid all the DMMs (digital multimeters) and made use trouble shoot all day with just an O'scope I learned that a picture is worth a 1000 words as a voltage reading does not tell the whole story of what is going on in a circuit especially when dealing with very small signals in the mV and uA ranges. RF shielding of the circuit is a must to keep those signals from being lost in all the "noise".

I used to have a very basic test bench and I am trying to build up a collection of test equipment for electronics and even for some basic toy train maintenance(like E-unit, and other ancient electro/mechanical parts). I have 3 or 4 DMMS , a function generator it has sine, saw tooth, and square wave out puts, 2 Heath kit power supplies, half a dozen soldering irons and a soldering station(variable temp).

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-10-2014

Back from greeting kids at Camp Corral. Lots of Vets' kids. Lots of Mom's with husbands missing. Sad We greeted lots of kids. Long day but well worth it.

ezdays Wrote:I sold some test equipment on eBay about a year ago that included a Heath signal generator, a Heath DMM (bench) and one other that I can't remember what it was. Let's face it, if you can't even remember what you sold, you didn't need it in the first place. Yeah, I still use the old vacuum tube scope once in a while and I still have a number of DMM's, and somewhere plus 4 or 5 solder stations. I did save some equipment when we sold our business, but I can't see hanging on to some of it if I haven't used something in the past 14 years. Just like that old car you have stowed in the barn that keeps increasing in value as the years go by, I think some vintage test equipment does the same...I really hope so...

I used to get a catalog that had used test equipment(back in the 80's) and scopes even then were expensive, when I first seen the DSO I now have I could not pass it up. I think I will get an extra probe for it(it has a special connector not the old coax BNC deal) there is also a usb cord for charging the battery????? I do not have a manual and I am still working on deciphering what buttons do what. I can select the volts per division so far and can turn on and off the display of a stored signal.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-10-2014

I still remember those old oscilloscopes that were the size of a medium sized water heater and about as heavy as one when it was full. I can still remember getting lit up by one too!

I have a pic or two that RB may find of interest, it is my new Digital storage O' siliscope I got from MPJA (marlin p. Jones assoc.) an electronic supplier catalog. Faraway found it a bit cheaper on amazon.

[attachment=0]dso3.jpg

I'd like to know where you found that.

Running Bear Wrote:I still remember those old oscilloscopes that were the size of a medium sized water heater and about as heavy as one when it was full. I can still remember getting lit up by one too!

I have a pic or two that RB may find of interest, it is my new Digital storage O' siliscope I got from MPJA (marlin p. Jones assoc.) an electronic supplier catalog. Faraway found it a bit cheaper on amazon.

[attachment=0]dso3.jpg

I'd like to know where you found that.

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mpja.com">www.mpja.com</a><!-- w --> look under test equipment also look on amazon.com it is called DS201 Pro

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-10-2014

Greetings, gang.

It's partly cloudy and 75 here in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this evening. The wind is light (7 mph) and the humidity is 73%. Makes for kind of a sticky evening.

Chief - I salute you for all the good works you are doing.

RB - your vehicle situation sucks and I hope in the long run it works out well for you.

The dust is starting to settle after the last week. Our daughter and her family have made it home safely after spending a week here. Grandson is 10 and very active. Our other daughter and her family were in and out at various times also. In addition, our younger son surprised us with a visit on Friday thru Sunday. All are home safely.

During the week our son-in-law helped me with a number of projects around the house including putting a weatherproof ceiling fan on the porch and relocating some yard lights to keep the deer off the track.

Friday evening we had a birthday party for the grandson including the usual fare (burgers, hot dogs, macaroni salad, chips, cake and ice cream) along with snacks before supper. I set the train up outside about 3:00 pm and after a few miscues in the first laps it ran without a derailment until about 8 when we put it away.

Tomorrow will be a day of rest and recuperation. Then on Tuesday it's off to do some shopping to restock and prepare for the next round of visitors on next Monday. Two of our nieces will be dropping by with 5 kids. Fortunately they will only be here for an hour or two before heading on to Michigan.

All stay safe.

Tom

Good evening. It's 76° with 99% humidity. In so many words, 'WET'. Kind of peaceful without the phone today, then again it was Sunday. I ordered two replacements. A Magicjack Plus and a Google Voice GVMate Phone Adapter. I'll try them both and see which one works best. The GVMate evidently uses Google Voice's subscription free phone service with any regular phone to provide a featured landline style calling experience including optional E911 emergency calling and CNAM national LIDB database caller name lookup services. It should be here no later than the 14th so it'll be the first to be tested. Went to town today and filled the front tank on the truck. $45.05 then went down the street and got a Domino's medium thin crisp c rust Meatzza pizza which I munched on for the rest of the day.

Time for me to call it a day. See y'all tomorrow

[Image: P1010085.jpg]