The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 05-02-2017

Don:

Great to hear she's doing better!!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 05-02-2017

We had a public holiday on Monday and the carpenter had no staff to work on Tuesday. Let's see what will happen today.
There are two things that bother me most

- the craftsmen do have the most narrow focus possible to get their contract fulfilled. Their key focus is to call it a day at 4pm. Work items are constantly incomplete and promised to be completed some time later.
- they behave ruthless and litter as much as possible. The parquet floor is in constant danger and the shower looks and smells worse than a public restrooms.

I have to admit that the works are in general in schedule and the items completed are at least of average quality or above. It is not "what" is done, it is "how" they are working that upsets me.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-03-2017

Greetings, gang.

Sunny for now but the clouds will be moving in later. High for today is supposed to be about 63. Right now it's 45.

Heard back from family on the new counter top. Only one voted for the one I like. Oh, well. They don't have to live with it.

Made contact with high school friends so the big trip is on! I'll spend the weekend with my granddaughter and her family then on Monday I'll get caught up with friends. I'm pretty certain they don't know about any recent events so it could be somewhat of a gloomy time interspersed with funny stories. Also got the yard mowed yesterday without having to wear mittens and a stocking cap. It was needed as local ranchers have been complaining about missing medium-sized livestock.

Not much on tap for today. If it's not too windy I'm going to try getting some weed killer on the yard and some round-up around the tracks.

Reinhard - I'm somewhat in the same boat. Electrical contractor is somewhat elusive but when he does show up he's good. The contractor for the counter top is ripping out my counter and I'll be without a kitchen for a few days. Very nervous about that.

Prayers for a continued speedy recovery for Mrs. Daze and for those hit by the flooding in Missouri and Oklahoma. When I drove through there about 10 days ago it was already starting to look bad and they've had a lot of rain since then.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-03-2017

Good morning all, I was off by a day or so on reaching the 100 degree mark. The forecast is now 101 for tomorrow and 104 on Friday. It doesn't matter, we're use to it, but it seems to come way too soon and hang around way too long.

Thanks for the concerns and prayers for my wife. Her hip is doing well enough that her surgeon told her he didn't need to see her unless there was a problem. However, she still has her other issues and there's little hope for improvement there. At least we're in a place where we can get help if needed.

I wish you guys working with contractors the best of luck. It can be frustrating at times. I kind of miss the days that I was able to DYI just about anything that we needed including additions and remodels, but those times are behind us now and I doubt that I could do it now if the chance arose. No tools, no energy and no projects either. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Brakie - 05-03-2017

Thought I would swing by and have my afternoon cup of tea before heading out to the hobby shop.. My project box is about empty so, I thought today is as good as any to stock up on ABS shapes, tubing, scale lumber for spacers for loads, pickup June issues of MR and Trains and hopefully a bulkhead flatcar. I need some paint and a tube of Walthers Goo. Trains magazine is the annual short line issue so, that makes my day. 2285_ A stop at Coney Island for two conies is on the list as well.

Have a good'un! Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 05-04-2017

The works in the kitchen are still on hold. We are trying to get a confirmed response when the work will be resumed. Looks like the carpenter got more contracts to be fulfilled than he has staff.
Had a talk with the plumber team leader. He assumed the works is completed. It was new to him that his team did not complete the work. He will care and come back. No news so far.
The electrician installed lots of lamps at the ceiling and hit and damaged a cable in the concrete ceiling. Let's see how long it takes and how large the hole in the ceiling will be. Maybe another extra job for the painter.
The window sills in the kitchen and dining room need to be replaced. The old ones are still in place but the painter did that area already. I expect some wall paper damage when the new window sills are installed.
The parquet fresh up is scheduled for Tuesday next week. All dirty construction works must be completed prior.
I did also talk to the movers that include the final cleaning job. I asked them how they will interface with the parquet task. No response so far.

My wife wrote an insisting email and got some nice answers. All contractors came to work this afternoon. The Saturday is now scheduled for additional work.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-04-2017

Greetings, gang.

A bright, sunny day is in store for me in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be about 66 with a warming trend through the weekend.

Got the oil change on he car yesterday so it's ready for the trip this weekend. Electrical contractor is due here in about an hour for phase two. Still no word on the second quote on the counter yet. All the votes are back from the kids on the new color but only one picked the color I liked so he's still in the will.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-04-2017

Sunny, breezy and cooler. 65 degrees. Mayor's prayer breakfast over. Crowd gets larger and larger. Today is National Day of Prayer. Also, Star Wars. may the force be with you.
Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Brakie - 05-04-2017

Not much to report from the land of Buckeyes other then I spent close to $70.00 yesterday at the hobby shop on odds and ends and a Athearn RTR Bulkhead flat. Geesh! I have enough goodies to make several loads of pipes ,flat and structure steel.It felt good to be in a well stock hobby shop and I'm surprise I didn't spend more since I was like a kid in a candy store.

As normal Ohio weather went from Spring to fall weather within 24 hours.. I have some rattle can painting to do and I would like a sunny 70 degree day with very little wind.

Have a good'un! Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-04-2017

Good morning all. I think I'm going to just stop watching the weather people on TV, or at least ignore what they say. Yesterday was the first 100 degree day of 2017 for us, but they didn't forecast that. Today it could be 101 or 102 or maybe even 103, tomorrow the same, anywhere between 102 and 104. I wish as an engineer, I could get paid those big bucks for being close to right. "Well sir, that product I just designed and you purchased has a 40% chance of working the way I said it should. Oh yeah, it might work for one day or five years, but there's no warranty".... How long would I last if I just guessed at the reliability of a product? Now they're saying there's a chance of rain for next week, 20 to 40%, yeah sure.... Wallbang

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-04-2017

Hello Blue
I got home from York and the grass was so tall it was blowing in the wind. So I paid a crew working in the neighborhood to cut mine too.
Now it's Raining raining raining, As for York I bought an engine at a train store on the way home. Figures huh.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Brakie - 05-05-2017

Howdy do from the land of wet Buckeyes.Yup more rain today and in the low 50s. I goof off yesterday by reading my latest Western novel.Today I plan on moving forward in planing the new Slate Creek. The 77/78 SCR will have two Alcos a S-1 and a S-4 I'm thinking one lettered for SSRy and the other as a heritage locomotive maybe a PRR or NYC. I got that idea from SMS.

Have a good'un ! Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-05-2017

Morning. Rained earlier. Not the bad stuff forecasted. 67 degrees and cloudy. Errands today. One meeting at 2 PM.

Col [Grandson in his train shirt].

[Image: ry%3D400]

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-06-2017

Greetings, gang.

Another sunny day under way outside my window this morning. High for today is supposed to be about 70 after a high yesterday of 75. Right now it's 48.

Electrical contractor finished phase two on Thursday. Final phase is scheduled for next Wed. I'll be without power for about 4 hours while he switches everything over from fuses to breakers. Supposed to be a nice day so I shouldn't need to worry about heating.

Got the other quote on the new counter top. I have almost all the old backsplash off and should be able to most of the prep work today. Tomorrow I'm off to Omaha for great-granddaughter's 1st birthday. Be back late Monday or Tuesday morning. Also have a phone call to make. My father-in-law is 91 today.

Frank - good-looking young man. I couldn't find any train related clothes for mt great-granddaughter.

Don - I was talking to my plant manager one day about how I wanted a job where I could be wrong that often. He said if I was wrong that often the job wouldn't last very long.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-06-2017

Tom, yup, that's the only profession that I know of that you can be so wrong so often and still keep your job. For example, they started out that yesterday was going to be 101, then each day increased that up to 105, but guess what, it got up to a new record of 108 at the Phoenix airport yesterday. Now by tomorrow, they forecast 75 as the high, we'll probably reach freezing and they'll say it wasn't their fault. Some TV stations brag about being Phoenix's "most accurate weather reporting".... We'll yeah, if you don't include forecasting in that report, I could be accurate as well...

Enough of that, just everyone have a great weekend....