The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-28-2014

sir james Wrote:Jeff glad your operation was successful. Hope the liver problem is something they can fix.

Our 2 TVs and related items are on power strips. We shut them off every night and don't turn them on till we want them each day. Same with the laptop.
I turn the laptop off if I don't expect to use it for several hours but the TV power strips once on stay on till bed time.
S.J.
Our TV's are plugged into the same power strip as our DirectTV box, and there are shows that we record late and night and early in the morning, so we leave them on for that reason. That, and I guess the convenience of just pushing one button to turn them all on helps to justify leaving them plugged in. As for the computer, I made some measurements some time ago and the computer I had at that time along with two printers took 123 watts when turned on, and 40 watts when asleep. That comes to about 10 KwH a month, or a little over a $1.00. Half of that is because I leave the printers in standby as well. Again, the convenience of going to it at any time and not having to wait for it to boot up, may justify it. I could do better though if I just remember to turn those printers off when I'm done printing. 35

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 08-28-2014

Running Bear Wrote:I'm all for surge protectors. The bigger the better. They're well worth the money. My trailer is on a whole house system and all the computer equipment I have hooked up is on surge protectors with unlimited capacity. I have them tested after a strike just to be safe. When I had my old RV set up here it took a direct hit on the meter base. Blew out everything! Since then surge protectors have been on the 'MUST HAVE' list. Even my water heater has one. My trailer is set up more or less like a Faraday cage. If you don't know what that is it's worth your time to look up. I trained under a professional electrician to learn what I know and what I know is that I don't know enough. However, my trailer has taken several direct hits since 1995 and I haven't lost anything except part of my hearing.

I am an electronic technician not an electrician we work mostly on opposite ends of an outlet Icon_lol

I will take an educated guess on a Faraday cage,
1. Farady is who the measurement of capacitance is named after as in Farads
2. So I am guessing it has something to do with capacitors :?
3. Some large industries have capacitors banks in their electrical system supposedly the stored voltage cuts down on their power bill some how.

Again it is just a guess.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-28-2014

A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure formed by conducting material or by a mesh of such material. Such an enclosure blocks external static and non-static electric fields by channeling electricity through the mesh, providing constant voltage on all sides of the enclosure. Since the difference in voltage is the measure of electrical potential, no current flows through the space. Faraday cages are named after the English scientist Michael Faraday, who invented them in 1836.

A Faraday cage operates because an external static electrical field causes the electric charges within the cage's conducting material to be distributed such that they cancel the field's effect in the cage's interior. This phenomenon is used, for example, to protect electronic equipment from lightning strikes and electrostatic discharges.

Faraday cages cannot block static or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside). To a large degree, though, they shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation. For example, certain computer forensic test procedures of electronic systems that require an environment free of electromagnetic interference can be carried out within a screen room. These rooms are spaces that are completely enclosed by one or more layers of a fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal. The metal layers are grounded to dissipate any electric currents generated from external or internal electromagnetic fields, and thus they block a large amount of the electromagnetic interference. See also electromagnetic shielding.

The reception or transmission of radio waves, a form of electromagnetic radiation, to or from an antenna within a Faraday cage is heavily attenuated or blocked by the cage.

Read more HERE.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 08-28-2014

Running Bear Wrote:A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure formed by conducting material or by a mesh of such material. Such an enclosure blocks external static and non-static electric fields by channeling electricity through the mesh, providing constant voltage on all sides of the enclosure. Since the difference in voltage is the measure of electrical potential, no current flows through the space. Faraday cages are named after the English scientist Michael Faraday, who invented them in 1836.

A Faraday cage operates because an external static electrical field causes the electric charges within the cage's conducting material to be distributed such that they cancel the field's effect in the cage's interior. This phenomenon is used, for example, to protect electronic equipment from lightning strikes and electrostatic discharges.

Faraday cages cannot block static or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside). To a large degree, though, they shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation. For example, certain computer forensic test procedures of electronic systems that require an environment free of electromagnetic interference can be carried out within a screen room. These rooms are spaces that are completely enclosed by one or more layers of a fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal. The metal layers are grounded to dissipate any electric currents generated from external or internal electromagnetic fields, and thus they block a large amount of the electromagnetic interference. See also electromagnetic shielding.

The reception or transmission of radio waves, a form of electromagnetic radiation, to or from an antenna within a Faraday cage is heavily attenuated or blocked by the cage.

Read more HERE.

Interesting concept.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-28-2014

A faraday cage in every car would eliminate all the cellphone and texting while driving.
And what wouldn't we have given if the commuter trains had been built with them.

RB: a line from Gilbert & Sullivan:
Little will be left of me
In the coming by and by.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-28-2014

I went to work on my wiring today. I bought some sticky labels at the $ store and started to label stuff. The file folder labels worked best.
I took one of the terminal strips almost fully apart and put the wires back in. I'd made some really weird connections. The formation is a doble junction with a double slip in the crossing -- may not be needed any more, but it's there. The far track is the return and, of course, has the common rail on the opposite side. I solved the problem originally by making it an X section* about 8 feet long. Everything now works and when I get the wire joints insulated, I can put the top shelves back in.

* see: The X Section -- Simplifier of route cab control by Linn Westcott, MR about 1958.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-28-2014

Good evening. It's a warm cloudy night here. Looking like a 40% chance of rain for tomorrow. Well so far I've experimented with several food items. Popcorn is still on the good list. Sausage is so out of here. I won't be getting any more of that. Tomorrow I'll see what chimichangas do to me. I hope I can tolerate them as I really love them. Breakfast at the hospital this morning shows that ham and butter are out the door. Coffee and milk didn't sit well with either. However a soda that my step mother gave me caused no problems at all. Spicy mustard and ketchup are OK as long as I eat a few Tums antacid tablets beforehand.

Tomorrow morning I have, you guessed it, another doctor appointment. This one is with an orthopedist in Leesville. My primary physician wants him to have a look at my left foot. Yeah, like I have another one. Earlier someone commented about the calm positive attitude I have despite all the problems I have. If you think my life is a bed of roses I'll trade with you. It's mostly a thorn patch and you're welcome to it. Some day I may get my medical issues straight , overcome my vehicle problems and finish repairing/rebuilding my trailer.

This morning my father pulled himself out of his Scrooge attitude and went back to the store to look at the computers again. He found somebody who didn't speak geek (I'm fluent in all dialects) to advise him. Well, he didn't think much of Wal-Marts prices so he went out to Fort Polk and looked at what they had in the PX. He found an affordable HP laptop he likes. I helped him set it up then showed him the basics of using it without smothering him in geek speak. He seems comfortable with it now. He's going to see if he get my nieces pass code for her Wi-Fi then he can deal with a whole new world of instant panic. He had gotten to play with my Asus tablet this morning when he came to see me at the hospital so it won't be a sudden dunk in the deep end. He was like a little kid with a new toy!

For me, as far as pain management goes I'm pretty well set. I have a rather large supply of oxycodone tablets built up from all the surgeries I've had over the past couple years and I have a new prescription for more if I should need them. The incisions themselves don't bother me much but man, those dang staples are irritating not to mention that they sting whenever something touches them. I believe I have seven staples, no stitches.

The front tank on the truck was almost empty this morning so I stopped at Circle K and refilled it. Seventeen gallons and a bit at $2.539 a gallon comes to $44 I believe. That's more than enough to see me through to the first of the month. That's when my SS hits the bank and I can start paying bills all over again.

Well, time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow. And you were probably thinking 'When's he going to shut up'.

[Image: DSCN1111-1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1146.jpg]

Prehistoric computer game called 'Apple Kong'.[Image: DSCN6490.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-29-2014

Morning all. Partly cloudy, hot and humid. Mowing here and then drive to lake house. Mow and return.

Prayers for RB. Get well man.

Hope all have a great and safe holiday weekend.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-29-2014

Good Morning Blue
Cloudy and 65 now. 80 for the day so they say.
Jeffrey you get a bargain regular gas here is $3.59 and up.
Just to add a tad to yesterdays post. The cable boxes and laptop only take a few minutes to boot. Most times I remember to turn them on a little bit before I expect to use them.
Last Friday of summer the way I count. So sad, so short.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-29-2014

Good morning. It's 89° with 86% humidity. The high will be 92°. Cloudy with a small chance of thunderstorms.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with [Image: cond20.jpg]

I have a doctors appointment this afternoon. Other than that I'm just waiting on the mail. I have a package of two Apple drive controller cards coming in today. The first order of business will be to test them. That task will fall to my //e, Diana #5. The test is simple. Plug a card into a slot on the mother board, hook a drive up to it then reboot the system from that slot. If it works the card goes into the parts drawer. If it doesn't work it gets marked as defective and the trash can gets a little heavier.

Other than that I have no plans today.

[Image: DSCN6773.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6782.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - nachoman - 08-29-2014

My office building is like a faraday cage. Tough getting cell phone reception in here!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 08-29-2014

Running Bear Wrote:When I had my old RV set up here it took a direct hit on the meter base. Blew out everything! Since then surge protectors have been on the 'MUST HAVE' list. Even my water heater has one. My trailer is set up more or less like a Faraday cage. However, my trailer has taken several direct hits since 1995 and I haven't lost anything except part of my hearing.
Cheers Cheers Jeff I think you just came up with a, "New", Wink Wink "Big Bang Theory" 357 357 357

Hope the medical issues "resolve", and life can get better. :band2"

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-29-2014

Good afternoon all, the start of a holiday weekend for us in the US. Labor Day is not necessarily a patriotic holiday, but I do notice that there are flags on all the polls lining the main entrance roads to some of the Sun Cities close by. They put up hundreds of flags every chance they get and take them down after the holiday. There is this Boy Scout in the area that wanted to put a flag pole and flag in front of his charter school. He got all the permits and a contractor and was doing it as his final project to become an Eagle Scout. For some reason, the HOA has control over the school property and said the they'd need an addition $600.000+ in insurance before they'd allow it to go up, and of course, they weren't going to do that. After hitting the national news and him having interviews on TV, the HOA decided that maybe the current insurance policy was enough.

People, People, what's happening to patriotism? We hear more and more where the HOA or property management won't allow people to fly an American flag and fine them when they won't take them down. At what point did patriotism become an issue? I remember when I was in school, there was a flag in every classroom and we said the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance every morning before classes started. No one was forced to do this, but everyone did, and we weren't traumatized because of it. Why the push to do away with all these symbols of our support for our country?

Thank you volunteers in all the Sun Cities that take every opportunity to show their respect for the American flag and for what it stands for...... Worship Worship

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 08-29-2014

ezdays Wrote:People, People, what's happening to patriotism? We hear more and more where the HOA or property management won't allow people to fly an American flag and fine them when they won't take them down. At what point did patriotism become an issue? I remember when I was in school, there was a flag in every classroom and we said the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance every morning before classes started. No one was forced to do this, but everyone did, and we weren't traumatized because of it. Why the push to do away with all these symbols of our support for our country?
I saw all this coming way back when they made it illegal to display a Confederate flag.

Been to the docs office and back home again. I have an appointment to go back there on Sept 8th. Got then package with the two drive cards this morning. I just tested them and they both work great. So they both will go into the parts drawer.

[Image: DSCN6786.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6780.jpg]

Good evening. It's a balmy 77° here with 91% humidity. Showers and thunderstorms are likely. 70% chance. Plugged in my tablet and video camera so they can both charge.

When I came home today I went over to how my neighbor, the fire fighter is doing with his bathroom remodel. I stepped onto the back porch just in time to hear him find his thumb with the hammer, multiple times. He let go with a string of expletives that would crumble the facade of any of the local churches. There's no shortage of those here. I browsed through the phone book one day and found nearly two hundred churches and I wasn't even looking hard. From what I gathered from the neighbor he was planning on installing the water heater and the tub today. I wished him good luck and went on my merry way.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: Image1-1.jpg]

Does something at the left side of this photo look familiar?
[Image: Image22.jpg]