The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 12-28-2014

I've had a bunch of "fun" with the layout.
Laying the turnback loop, I surveyed it out for a 30" radius, then had a devil of a time fitting the track in. The last bit of S curve ended up a couple of inches off the line.
Then I noticed I was using the 36" radius curve template.

The track running from the curve is over an L girder with a 1x2 separating it. The switch machines I was going to use (Bluepoints or Fastracks Bullfrog) go down more than 1 3/4". So we made a trip on Boxing Day* to the hobby shop for a bit -- called a Tadpole. Radio said that the highway was jammed along the stretch we were going to use, so we went to the other LHS. They were closed, so back up (along the toll road) to the first one. Got my Tadpoles and bought a pack of red-winged blackbirds to make it over $10. Found that the tadpoles don't fix the clearance problem anyway. So I did wiring.
Today I checked my box of switch machines and found a couple of Rix Rack flat mounts that fit in the space. I re-did the wiring and mounted the first one. Now the problem I worried (very little) about years ago: I'm using roadbed on this layout and the last layout was just on the homasote. The activating wire is now 3/16" too short.
And now controller #4 no longer seems to be powering anything.

*Martyrdom of St Stephen

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-29-2014

Morning all. Raining and suppose to all day and tonight. Wallbang Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-29-2014

B-r-r-r-r-r, goood mooornnningggg, it's COLD out there, freezing and below to be sure. Just got back from breakfast and a short jaunt to Wally World and I'm not sure that was such a good idea this early. I'm looking at a "weather alert" from the Weather Channel, there's a "major" winter storm heading our way. Rain on the schedule for tomorrow night right through to New Years Day. Here we are with lows in the low 30's, and it seems like just a few weeks ago, they were in the high 90's. Oh well, at least whatever it is, we don't need a shovel to get it out of the way... Tongue

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-29-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and a chilly 29 degrees.
My best friend yesterday was the couch and TV.
I watched the Detroit Lions lose then we had the Avengers, Columbo and a nightcap chat.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 12-29-2014

'Mornin' neighbors, The weekend train show is over and done, and the modules are safely back where they belong.
Learned a valuable lesson from this show. Model railroads should be kept in a constant temperature environment. Had a ton of track problems, due to expansion and contraction of the rails. All in all, it was a good show, and we had a large turnout Saturday, and a better than expected one on Sunday.

My current thought ? When did those modules become so heavy ? :o Confusedhock: Wink Wink I'll also have to try again today to get the trailer tipped back up against the garage wall so I can get my car in there.

:oops: :oops: I think I figured it out......my 71st birthday was last month. Maybe......I'm getting old ! Eek

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-29-2014

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 12 degrees this afternoon in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Our high for the day was reached at 3:30 AM this morning. Our low for tomorrow morning is supposed to be -5 with wind chills of -20 to -30. Still feel cold, Don?

My Fair Lady and I managed to put away more Christmas decorations yesterday. Today we had a visit from the home health care nurse followed by a trip to the doctor to see if My Fair Lady has pneumonia. The report came back negative. Tomorrow we have chemo. Tonight's supper is likely to be Papa Murphy.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-30-2014

Good morning everyone, another cold morning for us here, and rain is heading our way. This time all the forecasters are reading from the same page, well almost. They all say there's a chance of rain for tonight, and most of tomorrow. Some say it will continue on through New Years Eve and into New Years Day. The Weather Channel says it'll be gone by tomorrow evening, keeping all the New Year block parties from being rained out. I can't say, but like everyone else, I'll just wait. It really doesn't matter, our plans for tomorrow include a bit of shopping followed by an early dinner out and to hit the sack long before the fireworks go off. Yeah, they've allowed fireworks sales here in Arizona several years ago, and now twice a year, our parking lots all seem to have some out-of-state vendor setting up a tent and selling fireworks. Some of it is legal to sell, but illegal to use. Go figure.... :?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-30-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 20 degrees.
Yesterday was a lazy one. However a party tonight hosted by one of the club members will include lots of 3r train running.
This end of the year party was his own doing, our club meet is on Jan 10th.
Yes a chat last night with some of the guys.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-30-2014

Afternoon. Errands all day. Still misting and sprinkling rain. Wallbang Sir J, maybe cold but you will not mold like us.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 12-30-2014

ezdays Wrote:Some of it is legal to sell, but illegal to use. Go figure.... :?

We had a similar situation. My wife wanted a chiminea -- a ceramic outdoor fireplace sort of thing. They were in the stores but apparently not legal to use in the municipality. Maybe out in the country...

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 12-30-2014

I made another visit to the LHS today and picked up a Rix flat rack. (Last one in stock). They've altered the arm that pushes the throw rod -- instead of being molded into the plastic, the wire is now screwed on so that it can be replaced. It's now in place but not yet wired.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-31-2014

Good morning all. Well, if you planned on doing something this year and have yet to get to it, today is the day. If you made some New Year's resolutions for 2014 and haven't started yet, today is the day. Need to get something donated to get an Income Tax write-off, today's the day. Yeah, it's hard to believe, but it's the last day of 2014. I won't even go near trying to figure out where it all went. A week ago, all the stores took down their Christmas stuff and replaced it with large plastic tubs that you can use to store your Christmas decorations in. Next week, all that goes away and will be replaced by Valentine candy and cards. February is time for them to break out the Easter assortments of candy and cloths, then right after Easter, out comes the Christmas stuff again, and so goes 2015. 35 .... Give us a break, please.... Wallbang

It's still suppose to rain today and possibly tomorrow, but so far nada... We were suppose to have freezing weather as well, but the cloud cover has kept thing in the mid-40's this morning, not too far away from the forecast high of 48. Hmm, I wonder what happened to global warming, :? after all, this is Arizona.... Wink

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-31-2014

Morning all. No rain!!!! Not going to lake house as planned. Hope all have a safe and happy New Years Eve. Prayers for Fiat and Wifey.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-31-2014

Happy New Years Blue
Clear but cold 20 degrees this morning.
A fun time at a club members train party last night.
He had one of Lionel's new Big Boys. Wow what a machine.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 12-31-2014

I think I will start the scratch built, HO scale three mast, plank-on-frame, waterline model, schooner, sometime tomorrow. Wink

That way there is some hope that a project will be completed in the same year it was started. :o Icon_lol :evil: Big Grin Big Grin
The Christmas decorations, and tree will come down tomorrow......( before the schooner gets started) Wink