The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-08-2015

Greetings, gang.

It's cloudy and +7 this morning after an overnight low of -13. The high for today is supposed to be 18.

Another quiet day around here yesterday. Today I need to remove the wheels from the snow blower and get them repaired. One has had a slow leak for years and the other has a roofing nail through it. I'll try the local lawn repair shop first. If they can't fix them I'll have to take them to a regular tire repair shop. While I'm out and about I need to make a grocery run.

This afternoon I need to get caught up on the laundry.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-08-2015

Morning all. 10 degrees and sunny. Off to follow-up apt. with Dr. Stay warm and safe.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-08-2015

Good morning everyone. Sorry about the "arctic blast" hitting states as far south as Florida. It's always been a toss-up between Florida and Arizona as to which state is best to spend the winters in. I guess for now, Arizona wins, yesterday it got up to 81 in Phoenix Big Grin , breaking a record from back in 1948. Nice, but it's not suppose to last since there's rain and high temps back in the 60's again for this weekend. Still, I'll take rain any day over snow.

Enough about the weather, we're getting closer to Super Bowl weekend here... oh yeah, and they play the Phoenix Open that week as well. :o I can never figure out why they have to do both during the same week, but I guess there's some sort of formula that they can't deviate from to move one or the other by a week or so. Lots of people try to make extra money by renting out their house or rooms during this week. Some are going for as high as five figures for the night. I guess when you fly in on a $50,000,000 Lear Jet and watch the game from a skybox surrounded by high society, you can't expect to spend the night in a Motel 6 or a Holiday Inn now can you? Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 01-08-2015

One would think that here in Northern Illinois, people would know how to drive in/on, snow and ice. Icon_lol

That, Nope seems NOT to be the case for most, so, the dangerous game of " dodge the sliders " can be both fun, and exciting - - - - until it becomes a " contact sport ". :o

So far, I have managed to see it coming soon enough, to get out of the way 357 Cheers . We had a bit more snow last night.

:oops: Wink just saw the error in my thinking. People today, are taught how to operate a motor vehicle, when they really should be taught how to DRIVE Confusedhock: Wink 357 357 357

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-09-2015

Good morning everyone, yet another week has slipped by us, it's hard to believe that it's just about the middle of January and I was just getting into the Christmas spirit. It seems like some of our neighbors are still in the holiday spirit since they still have their Christmas lights up. They'd better be careful, the HOA patrol car will soon catch them at their dastardly deeds and write them a citation. I remember a few years ago when one of our neighbors just returned from a fishing trip and had his cooler chest propped upside down to drain and they cited him for having junk on his front lawn. Wallbang I guess HOAs are there for good reasons, but some of their board members go to dictatorial heights to show their power.
Sumpter250 Wrote:One would think that here in Northern Illinois, people would know how to drive in/on, snow and ice. Icon_lol ...

Fear not Pete, I can't drive on snow and ice either, but I have no intentions of going anywhere near where I'd have to. Nope The last time I was driving on snow, I wound up getting pushed out of a snow bank. :o That was up in Prescott well over 20 years ago. Why anyone would actually want to drive in that stuff leaves much to wonder about. :?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 01-09-2015

Morning all hope the new year has brought good to all. I'm still dealing with my problems which who knows what is what I'm learning some of what is the cause ( anxiety) and it does take a lot to trigger it any more. I also figure out if I self induce the shakes which I have learned how to do so I can more or less wear my self out where the anxiety is gone but affraid I won't be able to back myself out of it sometime so don't like doing it as it could be dangerous to do need to ask the DR about that when I see him again on the 29th
Anyway not a lot going on here. To cold to go out and do stuff for me when it gets below 50 its time for me to stay in lol and its in the upper 30's presently.

Hope all are staying warm and dry talk to you all later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-09-2015

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 14 degrees.
Some blowing snow overnight, makes it hard to measure. 3" maybe. no biggie.
Don some are here for a lifetime. Jobs, family, ect. and then there are those like me that tolerate winter because it's better than your summer heat.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 01-09-2015

I left the cold as just didn't want to tolerate it any longer than had to here we get about a months worth which is fine for me. and the heat isn't really bad here as it last 2-3 months ( the worst) the rest I can deal with. it like the best of both now for driving in the snow no problems here never did have a problem with it the problem has come from the knuckle heads the taught people you have front wheel/ 4 wheel drive you can go about any where its almost impossible for you to get stuck but the forget weather because they don't know out of stupidity or what there taught or don't car tell the young unknowing driver that now when you hit ice you have 4 wheels spinning and/or sliding not just the rear two now its your steering wheels are involved so what really needs to be done first get dealerships to stop selling it for what it isn't and telling the facts. 2nd educate people of the pro's and con's of the front wheel drive and 4 wheel drive vehicles. I grew up in PA and until I joined the navy always had 2 wheel rear wheel vehicles now I had use of a 4 wheel drive pick-up in my senior year but that was my first use of it but I was told and taught the can and can not's of the truck. Driving in snow and 4 wheel drive can be fun and if you have 4 wheel drive can make you a lot of money when stationed in MD I made a lot on the 495 beltway when it snowed most where charging $50 I was charging $20 and still came back at night ( because of there unknowing how to drive or in to much of a rush ) ( now this was maybe 3 or 4 times a year but it was nice when it happened. ) normally one day = about 2 weeks of Navy pay

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-09-2015

Afternoon all. Heat wave. 38 degrees but was suppose to be mid 40's. Oh well. Better than yesterday when it did not make the magical 32.

Busy this AM and afternoon. Did get haircut [see Sir. J., HAIR].

Off to another meeting [informal with lots of sweet ice tea].

Stay warm.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-09-2015

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 5 degrees in the remote reaches of northern Iowa today. That's gonna be our high for today. Last night we had a ground blizzard. No snow but the 35-40mph winds kicked up the snow to white out conditions.

Driving through snow is not that much of a problem if you are used to it. What caused me problems was driving through White Sands National Park. The road there is white and to my snow wired brain that means snow, even if it is July. Had a minor traffic jam behind me. Icon_lol One trick I have learned over the years when driving in snow is to keep some grits in the car. Makes for great traction on icy roads.

This afternoon I need to do some laundry and work on the screens for the front porch. I have restocked on finish nails and need to continue the project.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 01-09-2015

Very cold here in Ohio lots of wind and cold and a bit of snow. Got off early today at work.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-09-2015

Well, I learned to drive in a northern winter.

I just get confused when the road is clear and dry.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-09-2015

Yes, I saw on the news today how great you Yankees drive in snow.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Canadian Atlantic Railway - 01-10-2015

Chief Eagles Wrote:Yes, I saw on the news today how great you Yankees drive in snow.

I'l can't speak for the Yank drivers but will for the Canucks. There are a lot of "talented" people who shouldn't hold a drivers licence coupled with "all season" tires which probably would be fine in Arizona's four seasons but not up here make for some very interesting driving technics.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-10-2015

Good morning, we're suppose to have about a 10% chance of rain from last night through today, then ramping up to 40% by Sunday. So far, the higher odds are winning, not a trace in sight.
Railnet Wrote:I'l can't speak for the Yank drivers but will for the Canucks. There are a lot of "talented" people who shouldn't hold a drivers licence coupled with "all season" tires which probably would be fine in Arizona's four seasons but not up here make for some very interesting driving technics.
Yup, we have lots of "all season" drivers here in Arizona. Lots of them come from up north and continue to drive like back home when it's snowing out, going well under the speed limit any time of the year. I guess they're use to driving that way having spent most of their lives in snow country, only to come here in their later years to retire. Some get homesick every spring and go back for a few months, until it snows, then it's back to Arizona to screw up our streets once again. Icon_lol