Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's (/showthread.php?tid=7211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - ak-milw - 03-26-2015

I finally finished the hill.

[Image: DSCF1553.jpg]

before I can move along any further I have to build some more benchwork. In the meantime I will be working on a cemetery scene on the work bench,

Cheers

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - Catt - 03-27-2015

Lookin' fabulous Thumbsup Applause Thumbsup Applause

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - ak-milw - 03-31-2015

I made the trip to the local lumber yard and picked up the needed 1" by 4"'s to build the next section of the layout. It will be L shaped allowing the tracks to turn 90 deg. First leg of the L will be 2' by 3' and the other will be 2' by 6'. on it I will build the town of Mauston Wis. I have the 2 by 3 section cut up and it will fit into this spot.

[Image: DSCF1555.jpg]

I will get this built and hung before making the longer piece.

Cheers

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - Twist - 04-08-2015

Hi Andy,

That´s great....I always liked the way you´re building your layout one scene after the other....I hope ypi´ll have a lot of room to go before you´ll be finished so we could see more fantastic scene´s of your buildings.
Always a great inspiration.
Thanks for sharing your progress.

Cheers,Chris

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - ak-milw - 04-08-2015

Thanks Chris, there is a lot more to go.

I have the next section built and hung.

[Image: DSCF1558.jpg]

I was going to make the next leg of the L 6' long but I am cutting it back to 3' for now. That will make the town of Mauston 5' by 5' on the L. I will add the next 3' after I am done with the town.

Cheers

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - Rscott417 - 04-09-2015

I like the method you have of building bench work as you go. It prevents you from jumping around the layout and almost forces you to complete an area before moving on to the next. Thumbsup

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - ak-milw - 04-09-2015

Rscott417 Wrote:I like the method you have of building bench work as you go. It prevents you from jumping around the layout and almost forces you to complete an area before moving on to the next. Thumbsup

I have always modeled this way, I research each section, figure out what I want to model or to leave out, then go to it. Sometimes this takes longer than the actual building.

Cheers

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - ak-milw - 04-12-2015

Finishing up construction on this section. The last turn of the layout in this room. I just have to bolt it to the floor then add the pink.

[Image: DSCF1560.jpg]

Cheers

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - mountaingoatgreg - 04-19-2015

Looking good Andy!!

How much more room do you have before you run out of space?

What are the plans when you hit the wall?

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - ak-milw - 04-19-2015

Greg, From this point I have about 8 feet left to complete before the track goes through the doorway and ends in the Portage yard, which is in the next room. So I will be ending at the beginning. I will try to explain it, it might be hard since you can't see it all. The layout was started in Portage, Wis. heading west it will go through the doorway into Wisconsin Dells then on to Lyndon Station, Mauston, New Lisbon, Orange Mill, Camp Douglas, Tomah and end in Tunnel City. But when the train goes into the tunnel it goes through the wall and ends up back in Portage, This way I can have continuous running. I have an adjacent room which is about another 14 foot square the same room Portage is in. When I designed the layout I figured some day I would make the whole circle and I didn't want to just stop, so in the tunnel in Tunnel city I added a turnout so I can bypass Portage and continue into the room where I can get another 5 towns ending up in the rail yard in Lacrosse Wis. If everything keeps going as it has been I should make Portage by the end of the year, which will make it a little over 15 years building. If I continue all the way to Lacrosse figure another 10 years. Sorry for the long post, it is probably more than you wanted to know, but that's the plan.

Cheers

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - ak-milw - 04-19-2015

Here is a sketch I made when I started. The red areas are finished and where I am at the present. I never made a track plan because it follows the prototype. Seeing the whole layout is about 100 miles total and close to my house, everytime I start a new section I just go look at the real tracks and that's how they end up, or as close to it as I can get.

[Image: File.jpg]

Cheers

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - Steve - 04-20-2015

Popcornbeer
I'm going to need a lot more pop corn Wink Thumbsup

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - ak-milw - 04-20-2015

Foamboard is on and painted, cork roadbed has been installed for the mainline. Started laying out the siding tracks.

[Image: DSCF1561.jpg]

I had to order 4 more Peco turnouts and six pieces of flex track, I hope I don't need anything else for awhile, it wiped out my layout savings. The cemetery scene is on hold for a little bit, I have to add the small piece of backdrop under the window before I can finish that.

Cheers

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - ak-milw - 04-26-2015

I have the small section of backdrop up and planted the cemetery. The inside of the walls is finished, just have to do the outside.

[Image: DSCF1562.jpg]

Cheers

Re: Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin, 1950's - Steve - 04-29-2015

Lookin' good! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup