Freelance 2015-1 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2015-1 (/showthread.php?tid=7292)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 03-31-2015

Hi Koos, that is a great link. I will save it and come back when I need cars from 1970 - 1990. There are a lot of black spots.

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - torikoos - 03-31-2015

Indeed, and that's the general era I model mostly. Also, don't forget the occasional older car to grace the streets. Particularly the Neo models are great to get an old 70's or 80's american car on the layout that you still occasionally see on the streets today.
I ordered 4 ones, and had to have one of the cars with the wooden side decorations :-)

Koos

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 04-02-2015

The card board stuff has been redone with styrene today. Some sanding is required after the glue has set and I can start with any details.
The eight elements will be kept separate as long as possible for easy handling for painting and detailing. The white pads at the wall are temporary spacers only.

[Image: IMG_4023_zpsbwck1nxq.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4021_zpsavbekdmy.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4022_zpskdokmxyy.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - Painkiller - 04-02-2015

It is looking good. I read the thread all over and agree on your current route. We tend to add things to a layout that will be trouble later on and we tend to make things a little too packed with buildings and details. Streets and roads do eat space and having normal long rigs of the day need some space to be able to keep the competition with the railroad. I am now plnning on a layout and all these transformations, your Eye on things have been very helpful. I have even downloaded loads of photos to keep an eye on chenges and they have become a very valuable source for my current planning. I am still dealing with a track plan though I have started with the process of building kits and even bought the Engines I plan to use on it ( 4 Atlas GP38.s in UP paint) and it will be fun project. In my dreams I am thinking of a urban layout with loads of buldings, some high but I gueess keeping things more manageble will help it to be realized in 3d than as a brain storm. I have loads of six axle engines but will stick with the Geeps or some smaller units to keep them looking good on tighter curves I have to deal with. Thanks for sharing! Cheers Cheers

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 04-03-2015

Added details all afternoon and early evening. A very pleasing amusement.
[Image: IMG_4025_zps2crs6hva.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4026_zpsimxe2he4.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 04-04-2015

The Purina plant in Jefferson, Wi has outside mounted handrails on top of most buildings at the north (river) side. That is a unique feature at "shoe box" industry structures and quite nice to model.

[Image: IMG_4027_zpsybdyge49.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - Mr Fixit - 04-04-2015

faraway Wrote:The Purina plant in Jefferson, Wi has outside mounted handrails on top of most buildings at the north (river) side. That is a unique feature at "shoe box" industry structures and quite nice to model.

[Image: IMG_4027_zpsybdyge49.jpg]

Those handrails are there so that the poor sods like me who have to get up on the roof to clean gutters, fetch balls, adjust tv antennas, and check for leaks, dont fall off and get killed or injured and try to sue.

Architects are slowly coming to the realisation that they are responsible for designing buildings that are safe to maintain. In the meantime they do like to whinge about unsightly handrails, ladders and safety lines ruining the look of "their" buildings. A reminder about OH&S legislation and duty of care for people tasked with maintaining "their" building usually shuts them up. 35

Nice to see that Reinhard is taking his Oh&S responsibilities at this plant seriously. Thumbsup

Just one request Reinhard, with the access ladders please make them inclined at 1:4 not vertical, as vertical ladders are an absolute bitch to climb, they are so much more difficult and tiring than a standard ladder especially when carrying tools and equipment. Nope Wallbang Dont forget the cages around the ladders as well.

Sorry about the rant, but when your life depends upon these things it does get rather personal. Eek

I must admit that I always enjoy seeing the latest work by Reinhard. Cheers
When I think back about all the incarnations that this layout has gone through it never ceases to amaze me.

There was one particular detail in the previous layout that I didnt get round to commenting on. It was at the bottom of a set of fire escape stairs, which would be enough of an added detail for most people, but no, Reinhard added safety bollards to stop idiots parking underneath the escape ladder. No only did he add bollards but he had detailed them like they had suffered numerous bumps from lousy drivers. Wallbang I thought that was a particularly observant detail to add to the scene and it made me chuckle. Worship
Mark

Mr Fixit Wrote:.....with the access ladders please make them inclined at 1:4 not vertical, as vertical ladders are an absolute bitch to climb, they are so much more difficult and tiring than a standard ladder especially when carrying tools and equipment. Nope Wallbang Dont forget the cages around the ladders as well.....
Mark, I did not get that?
There are no ladders so far. There is only one stairway in the far left rear corner. Anyhow, I intend to add one or twi ladders with the usual safety cages.

I kind of knew that they would be coming Reinhard and I just let a pet hate of mine out about vertical ladders. Curse
You detail your model your way, what ever suits you best. I'm just glad you put the handrails around the roof edges. Big Grin

Mark
P.S Happy Easter to you and your family, try not to spend ALL of Easter modelling, you are retired now. Thumbsup

You say
this kind of inclined ladder http://www.aclindustries.com/images/products/3D-IL-201_2-lg.jpg
is preferred over this one http://www.precisionladders.com/assets/images/products/specialty-ladders/specialty_ladder5.jpg
I agree fully but the second one is the one usually used at outside walls. The incline ladder is the standard ladder in ships.

Correct.
Unfortunately the people who specify these types of things are not the ones who have to climb up and down them. :wait:

Which means that while we have a somewhat safer means to access a roof, it does make it a lot more tiring, and then the bosses wonder why things take so long. Nope

You put which ever type of ladder you wish to put Reinhard, dont mind me.

Mark

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - fast car - 04-05-2015

Reinhard,

Is your model painted now?

Larry

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 04-05-2015

fast car Wrote:Reinhard, Is your model painted now?
No way, I am retired ....... Applause Just adding slowly more details. I will continue when we are back from a vacation on Gran Canaria.

ps. Can a retiree be on vacation or is he just on a trip?

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - Tyson Rayles - 04-05-2015

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 04-06-2015

Not even finished but already switched.... have to start packing the luggage. No more time for model railroading Sad

[Image: IMG_4029_zpsmujhbh05.jpg]