Freelance 2015-1 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2015-1 (/showthread.php?tid=7292)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - shortliner - 04-27-2015

Ralph, Reinhard - these would work well, from Kibri

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - Mike Kieran - 04-27-2015

Ralph Wrote:That's OK....I'll try scratch building something like it. Its just the sort of thing Kings Port Steel needs.

Ralph, Walthers sold a guard shack and gate kit that could still be found for sale on line.

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - Ralph - 04-27-2015

Shortliner and Mike, thanks for the options!

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 04-29-2015

The narrow strip between the road and the tracks had many uses over the last time. I think it's best use it not to use it at all. It got a layer of base ground and is an undeveloped area. May be some weed etc. The layout looks larger with some free space.
[Image: IMG_4044_zpszcbg363g.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - torikoos - 04-30-2015

Looks good Reinhard, also the 'unused' space, the tendency to cram every last square cm full of stuff is often overwhelming, but doesn't mean the scene becomes more realistic. A little bit of litter is perhaps the only thing you could add. (empty takeaway bag, newspapers and/or empty soda cans etc)..

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 04-30-2015

torikoos Wrote:..... A little bit of litter is perhaps the only thing you could add....
I tried small patches of tall grass with my old Noch Grassmaster. The result was not satisfactory. Looks like the old Grassmaster I is at it's limit with long grass. The newer Grassmaster II would cost again over 100€. That would be to much for my mostly urban layouts but a guy offers homebuilt devices on eBay for about 20€. I placed an order and will give it a try when the little device arrives. That smaller device might be easier to handle for small patches too.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/181714535298?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 05-01-2015

Got a gate
[Image: IMG_4050_zpsux84kr1a.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - fast car - 05-01-2015

faraway Wrote:Got a gate
[Image: IMG_4050_zpsux84kr1a.jpg]

Curious as to why you would put a gate at the guard shack as opposed to a moving security fence. You have fence around the perimeter of the facility to keep people off the grounds. There is nothing to keep people off the property at the guard shack entrance. Just an observation based on experience at our large facility where the guard shack was brick and had its own bathroom.

Larry

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 05-02-2015

fast car Wrote:......Curious as to why you would put a gate at the guard shack as opposed to a moving security fence. You have fence around the perimeter of the facility to keep people off the grounds. There is nothing to keep people off the property at the guard shack entrance. ...
Larry, my thoughts are that the fence and wall around the perimeter keeps strangers of the property but at the gate is the present guards responsible to do so. The toll bar is used to ensure all trucks and cars stop at the gate to report at the guard. Lets assume the plant has an 7/24 operation and a guard is always on duty to save a moving security fence.

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 05-02-2015

The very generic layout permits the use of a wide variety of rolling stock. In this case might a temporary placed palm tree be helpful.
[Image: IMG_4051_zpswjommtca.jpg]

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - lajry - 05-02-2015

Reinhard
Remember seeing the palm trees "planted" along the LAJ Ry tracks to General Mills.~}
Guess the seeds get transported by freight cars, fall off & start growing, 357

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - faraway - 05-03-2015

Andy, those palm tree seeds are all over .......

It is quite easy to set some (may be temporary) spots to imply a location at a generic layout.

[Image: IMG_4052_zps5jl1tr9u.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4053_zpslb2yvwt2.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4054_zpsfje57acy.jpg]

ps. Do you remember when I discovered weed between the rail of an unused track in Vernon? You told me is a tiny palm tree seedling. That was a fascinating experience because people in Germany make a lot of effort to raise small palm trees in house and you get them like weed.

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - Brakie - 05-03-2015

faraway Wrote:
fast car Wrote:......Curious as to why you would put a gate at the guard shack as opposed to a moving security fence. You have fence around the perimeter of the facility to keep people off the grounds. There is nothing to keep people off the property at the guard shack entrance. ...
Larry, my thoughts are that the fence and wall around the perimeter keeps strangers of the property but at the gate is the present guards responsible to do so. The toll bar is used to ensure all trucks and cars stop at the gate to report at the guard. Lets assume the plant has an 7/24 operation and a guard is always on duty to save a moving security fence.

Having worked as a security guard (fun job that) that sums it up.The perimeter fence was to keep trespassers out and employees honest..Gate control was our job since we had to log trucks in and out-we checked the seal number against the freight bill seal number and cars (other then company or service cars) was not allowed to enter the dock area.

A moving security fence could be use but,where I worked it was left open and a railroad crossing type gate with a extended arm was used.In place of the cross bucks a signal light was used red when the gate was lowered and green when it was raised.

A word about moving security gates..These gates are chain driven and operates in a jerky manner which means the chain can come off the pulley (cog wheel) and that means the gate is "closed" until maintenance can come and repair it.Modeling wise you would need to add a small cabinet to house the motor and pulley.

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - fast car - 05-03-2015

Brakie,

I understand what you're saying. We had the same moving security fences. Trucks and cars moved through two separate moving fences. However, the moving security fences were to the outside of the drop down gate. As I stated before we had a large security building with indoor toilets, refrigerator and microwave. On weekends and nights there was only one guard. After 10 pm the rolling gate was closed. If trucks or car traffic pulled up the rolling gate was opened and then closed. If he left the security building the rolling gates were closed to both truck and car traffic. People and trucks waited outside the gate until he returned.

Prior to having the newer building, it was simply a guard shack much like Reinhard has modeled. However, bathroom brakes were still a necessity and the rolling gates were utilized since only one guard was on duty.

Larry

Re: Freelance 2015-1 - BR60103 - 05-03-2015

The was an air force base and aircraft manufacturer in Toronto right alongside the railway line with a siding into the plant. One day the crew switching the plant was asked how they got in. "Through the gate." The gate over the siding had a standard RR padlock on it.