UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout (/showthread.php?tid=7429)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - UP SD40-2 - 04-01-2015

Well, after 3 moves, getting married, and buying a house(and a whole ton of other stuff we don't need to talk about Misngth ) , I'm Back! Thumbsup yep, its Deano :mrgreen:

Monday night after work I stopped by Menards and picked up the wood I needed to start my NEW LAYOUT! This layout will end up being 16'x11' , two foot wide all the way around(modular style) and will be 4' high off the ground. I ended up getting two 2'x8' sections of 3/4 plywood, and enough wood for framing and the legs. This will at least give me one side of the layout to start with. I would have loved to get all the wood for the whole layout at once, but with all the new bills I now have, just wasn't possible, I'm going to do this in sections so it will take some time.

As I mentioned, I have been through a few moves in the last few years, I have all my trains boxed up but haven't even looked at some of my stuff in years, I am kind of scarred to open a few of the boxes, I hope all is well and not destroyed Eek The only things I am sure are ok are the collection of stuff I have of Waynes, it was all put back in the same box I got them in and has been in every bedroom closet I have had in the last few years Thumbsup . After I get up the first two sections this weekend I am going to start opening boxes, it will be exciting to say the least.

I hate to say it but I am unsure on what exactly the layout is going to be, though I am leaning on doing the UP during the mergers(80's - today). I also have no idea of the track plan other then it has to have a mainline with only two switches on it, one on each side of the layout, other then that...I got nothing, yet Misngth . I was thinking perhaps one side of the layout in Midwest theme, with the other side looking like out west, would be a real challenge for me. ALL advice and input is more then welcome, I may or may not use it, but it is all welcome Wink .

I will get some pics up this weekend.

Till the next post, stay on track folks Thumbsup
-Deano

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Charlie B - 04-01-2015

DEANO, WELCOME BACK. YOU HAVE BEEN MISSED. Cheers Cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Tongue Tongue Tongue Charlie

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Charlie B - 04-01-2015

PS, great signature. I am looking forward to your pictures. Congratulations on all the new things in your life. It sounds like you have things under control. I know I am not the only one that will be glad to see you.
Charlie

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-01-2015

YES

I always wondered where you went! I'm glad to see you back!

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Ralph - 04-01-2015

Hey Hey!!! Welcome back! Great to have you with us. Looking forward to layout pics and progress! Welcome Thumbsup

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - cn nutbar - 04-01-2015

Deano---at first I thought maybe this was an April fool's joke but needless to say,it's really great to have you back on board---looking forward to some of your excellent modelling---WELCOME BACK Cheers

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - doctorwayne - 04-01-2015

Good to have you back, my friend. Thumbsup Goldth Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - railroader9731 - 04-01-2015

Cheers Welcome back deano have missed seeing around. Now back to work..... come on were waiting...... JK. Cant wait to see new layout plans from you Cheers

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Mileswestern - 04-01-2015

Great to see an old guard member like yourself resurface! I always enjoyed your layout builds.

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Steve - 04-02-2015

Wait........were you gone? :?

Well all I can say is:
[Image: OrsonWellesClap1.gif]

Welcome back my friend Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - cnw1961 - 04-03-2015

Hey Deano!!! Welcome back! Welcome Glad to see you are doing well and starting to work on a new layout Thumbsup .

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - UP SD40-2 - 04-03-2015

Charlie, G_E_C, Ralph, CN Nutbar, Wayne, Harry, Miles, Steve, and last but most certainly NOT least, Kurt! :mrgreen: ,
WOW, darn near ALL the old gang showed up to say Hi, I am truly HONORD Worship Thanks so much guys, feels good to be back Thumbsup .

Big thanks to Wayne and Don for getting me back in here, cripes, I forgot my password and every time I would hit the resend my password button nothing happened, never got it sent to me. After a couple weeks trying to get back on here I decided to look at an old email account I had, luckily Wayne was sending Gern stuff to it so I was able to get Wayne's email address, yadda, yadda, yadda, here I am Misngth .

Hold my beer boys, and watch this...

I made the first two sections of the layout today, this completes on side of it(16' long). I forgot just how much I hated doing frame work, its not hard, but man, its not to fun. Hey, did I mention how much I hated doing the frame work, oh, I did, well I just wanted to be clear on that Wink . Anyways, its up and I think it turned out real nice.

[Image: DSCN0346_zpswqmretdx.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0356_zpskzabyfom.jpg]

I started getting ready to doodle some track plans out, still no idea what I am really doing yet for sure, I do know I want the mainline to run around the whole layout with no more then two switches to get on or off of it. Large curves is a must on the mainline also, this way I can run all the real big stuff I have. I have also decided to do it in the theme of out west, this will be real challenging for me as I have never modeled that type of scenery. Other then that, I am totally lost at this point :oops: . Again, its going to be 16'x11' 2' wide 45'' high.

[Image: track%20grid%201_zpssmwwnzk7.jpg]

[Image: track%20grid%2021_zpsasfpygx5.jpg]

Till next time, stay on track folks Thumbsup

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Steamtrains - 04-03-2015

I thought you'd lost yourself in a tunnel... Great to have you back..!! Applause

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Steve - 04-03-2015

[Image: DSCN0346_zpswqmretdx.jpg]

Well Deano, I see you still look the same. Btw......That was smart of you to inspect the wood before putting it up Misngth Goldth Wink Thumbsup

Re: UP SD40-2's NEW Layout - Charlie B - 04-03-2015

OK Deano, shouldn't be too long getting something running. It Looks like you have a big area to work in too, plenty of room for those huge UP locomotives and even a Big Boy running an excursion train. Cheers
Now tell me about that beautiful furkid in the picture.
Charlie