ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud (/showthread.php?tid=8028)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - SSWUPinSA - 07-12-2016

Like Xmas only better:

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - jrossouw79 - 07-12-2016

Nice!
I notice that there are price tags on the items in South African Rand.
Do you buy from a local hobby store?

Cheers
Jacques

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - lajry - 07-12-2016

Fisher Flouring Mills provided supplies to the bakeries in the LA metro area. It was located on the LAJ Ry. The notes about Fishers are from Charlie Slater LAJ conductor 1970-1984.

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - SSWUPinSA - 07-13-2016

[quote="jrossouw79"]Nice!
I notice that there are price tags on the items in South African Rand.
Do you buy from a local hobby store?

Yes I did this time. Normally I will import myself, used Craig's Models this time http://www.craigsmodels.co.za/ . He did miscalculate the costs for this last order so it might be cheaper to order direct next time but he is a nice guys and tries hard, hes a Walthers agent so whatever they have he can get. I think if you just want one or two items its cheaper to get from someone bringing in group orders but when it gets to big orders and big dollars it can be cheaper direct.

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - shortliner - 07-13-2016

Callum - I have been looking at ways to build an extended version of this     from page #84 of Carls Scrapbook - and I think your Alpha Pack Shelf1.jpg
[attachment=0]Alpha pack Shelf1.jpg[/attachment
has just solved my problem
Many thanks
Jack

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - SSWUPinSA - 07-13-2016

I'm so glad someones getting something out of all these designs I come up with... Thought I was going to get bounced for not putting track to insulation board!! LOL

My next vital step will be to get the goo-ahead from the wife as to the size of shelf I can have in the spare room, ultimately that will decide what plan I start with. Once thats in place then I will place temporary track and some mock up buildings and run it... Will see what I can do and what size real-estate I get.

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - SSWUPinSA - 07-19-2016

Not much happening my side unfortunately other than finding one of my Micro Engineering turnouts are a reject, suspect frog casting.

Also just noticed the marks in the valleys of the frogs, looks like its been tempered with or repaired. This was taken straight out the Me sealed package!!!

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Mr Fixit - 07-19-2016

How did THAT get past Quality Control? 35 Nope

Fire off an email to them with that photo and see what they say.

I must say though that I am pretty appalled that something that OBVIOUS could get passed by QC.
How many other units were messed up by that die caster and got carried through to the final customer?
I mean just how many steps in the production and packaging process were inspection steps overlooked for it to end up in the hands of a consumer.
Its not like your nit picking or rivet counting over a minor detail or two. That piece of trackwork is unusable except perhaps in a diorama of a derailment.
Engineering its NOT.

Mark

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - SSWUPinSA - 07-20-2016

I have emailed them, will see what they say.

I know you've all seen these a thousand times before... been looking at going a tiny bit longer and a little narrower on the shelf...9ft x 18 inches. Still all fits well, just need to look at the angle vs straight. they have all ended up and version of a Palmetto spur more or less, I don't think there is much else you can do in a small area...

With wall mounted staging

With staging on the very right and removable

At an angle...seems to be more interesting and I don't mind scratch building the structures

Then there is this 10ft version...might work but worried its getting too long for the room

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - faraway - 07-20-2016

SSWUPinSA Wrote:I have emailed them, will see what they say.
I see a good chance you can repair the frog to be not beautiful but save and functioning. That might be an alternative if shipping of he replacement part is excessive.

I might be able to save it if I can fill the missing bit with solder, otherwise I doubt it will perform.

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - faraway - 07-20-2016

The guard rails pulls the axis away from the center of the frog. I think it will work fine when you cleanup the path of the wheel flange.

Micro Engineering, Inc.
1120 Eagle Road, Fenton, MO 63026

Hello Callum,

I am very sorry for your inconvenience and have no idea how that frog slipped through. I am sending you (1) 14-805 LH turnout per your request.

Going out today USPS International First Class. Customs/tracking # LJ 162 505 205 US.

Regards,

Debby Mikles
Micro Engineering, Inc.

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Catt - 07-20-2016

Sounds like good customer service to me. Applause Are you going to attempt a repair?