ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud (/showthread.php?tid=8028)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - SSWUPinSA - 06-06-2016

So since I last modeled the 2 companies I used for my HO scale vehicles have closed or don't have modern era vehicles. I had some great Lone Star models and soem model Power cars that were super detailed.

What are the option for some modern cars and mostly trucks these days if you want realistic and detailed items?

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - ratled - 06-06-2016

You know if you were Reinhard you would have built several of these options by now in at least 2 different eras>>>> Icon_lol

ratled

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Rscott417 - 06-06-2016

Boley trucks are nice but I like to swap boley cabs on to athearn chassis when I do box trucks, but that adds up. Busch, Atlas and Walthers make good modern vehicles. I'm trying for the first time 3-d printed vehicles from shapeways, there's a seller on there that has tons of modern vehicles that aren't available from the big name suppliers. Here's the link for 1/87 scale vehicles <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shapeways.com/shops/madaboutcars?section=1%2F87&s=0">http://www.shapeways.com/shops/madabout ... 1%2F87&s=0</a><!-- m -->
And from what I've been told they're hollow so the resin in the window openings can be removed.

ratled Wrote:You know if you were Reinhard you would have built several of these options by now in at least 2 different eras>>>> Icon_lol

ratled

Quite right Ratled!!!!

Thought I'd share these interesting structures with you who follow. All from Ohio, Cleveland, Twinsbury and Solon.

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Rscott417 - 06-06-2016

I like the lumber industry, similar to your plan. I like they have loaded trailers ready to go, could be an added detail to your yard area.

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - faraway - 06-06-2016

The mill inspired me on my Freelance 2013-1 layout. It is a very versatile prototype you can highly modify to meet your requirements.

[Image: 24189456131_226e6afdcf_c.jpg]IMG_2004 by faraway52, on Flickr

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Twist - 06-07-2016

Hi,
interesting prototype pictures. Like the mill and the lumber yard....

Kepp it going,

Regards,Chris

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Brakie - 06-07-2016

Chris, I spent hours looking at industrial areas on Bing and Google maps for various ideas I'm beginning to wonder if its a hobby within our hobby.
It boggles my mind at the information we have readily available at the tips of our fingers..

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Mr Fixit - 06-07-2016

Brakie Wrote:Chris, I spent hours looking at industrial areas on Bing and Google maps for various ideas I'm beginning to wonder if its a hobby within our hobby.
It boggles my mind at the information we have readily available at the tips of our fingers..

In a way it is, but it can also be considered as part of your research process. However it must be said that it can lead to "over researching" leading to analysis paralysis. Look for ideas in the real world via the Net, but also take the time to compile the information as if you were preparing a research paper or idea scrapbook to present to someone [or even yourself] outlining your idea sources and how you have interpreted them to make your current project.
Mark

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - SSWUPinSA - 06-07-2016

While I wait for track (Ordered from the US so a 4 week wait) I am looking around and sharing my finds.

Anyone ever seen the info on the Cobboseecontee Branchline, found it pretty interesting and searched maps for it only to find it very well hidden. I would love to know more about this 1 mile ling line:

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Brakie - 06-07-2016

Mr Fixit Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:Chris, I spent hours looking at industrial areas on Bing and Google maps for various ideas I'm beginning to wonder if its a hobby within our hobby.

In a way it is, but it can also be considered as part of your research process. However it must be said that it can lead to "over researching" leading to analysis paralysis. Look for ideas in the real world via the Net, but also take the time to compile the information as if you were preparing a research paper or idea scrapbook to present to someone [or even yourself] outlining your idea sources and how you have interpreted them to make your current project.
Mark

Mark,To my mind there's never enough research when it comes to designing a ISL because of the many types of freight cars we own as well as the choices of industries. In my case I'm looking for industries outside the normal industries used on layouts.
As examples my General American Reclaim Corp receives boxcars loaded with scrap rubber and ships rubber pellets. Mid States Distribution receives reefers of frozen diners and other frozen foods. Pattons Wholesale receives boxcars of alcohol beverages and tobacco products. Shullerman Salvage (on the transload track) ships old tires in gons for reclaim once or twice a week.

To bad one doesn't research his choice of industries before buying a single freight car.

More from Maine and Ohio....structures

I like the colors of the structures in the area, anything from this to red brick...goes well and makes for an interesting mix of buildings.

Thinking of using a combination of this and silos for the rear most industry on the plan:

May make some of the Non Rail Served building look like this...:

And for some reason this just looks like it should be JBV. The boxcar gets loaded inside the covered area on the left and bulkheads or centrebeams in the yard

I might need one of these...if I do decide to make it look like Maine but as you guys know its freelance so not getting bogged down by one railroad and area...

Re: ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud - Rscott417 - 06-07-2016

I like the idea of making a current non rail served building former rail served building with either an old dock door or a bricked up dock opening.