The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 11-27-2020

Good evening folks

Getting here late. I slept in this morning partially due to a food coma. We always make more food than we should considering we only have four people this year. My wife set a place for her dad as this is the first year, he is not with us. My son was the last to the table and saw the empty chair and broke down. My FIL retired to be a stay at home grandpa to help raise our daughter and mostly our son who was still in diapers.

The wife and I had to make a run to CVS as she needed one of her over the counter meds. On the way home we stopped at the Swiss Farms store to get a couple of things. Swiss Farms is a drive thru grocery store that is unique to Delaware County, PA. They started out selling milk, bread, eggs, and other dairy products. They now carry most things you would find at a small local grocery.

My latest two deals arrived today, and I had to try them out. I have done well recently on that auction site. I grabbed a used Roundhouse by Athearn RTR CNJ F7A (powered) and F7B (dummy) in the blue and orange scheme for $40 and a Proto 2000 FA1/FB1 Lehigh & New England for $100 new still in original unopened packaging. The LNE set is number 705 (A) and 752 (B). These units are rare and hard to find at a responsible price. Last time I saw them they went for nearly $200. I have 701 (A) and 751 (B). All units run well. I had to clean the wheels on the F7A as it stuttered a little. After the cleaning it took off.

This weekend we will take down the Thanksgiving decorations. I hope to get the outside Christmas decorations done. Inside we will set up the tree and begin the marathon of decorating. If there is time, I may get to weather those hoppers that have been sitting on the workbench for the last two weeks. If there is time I may run a train or two.

I hope everybody has a good night.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-27-2020

Don:
I agree with you on the parade coverage. It happens with other parades, too. They let the acts I don't want to hear go full, but the bands, which I would like to hear, get talked through.
Most of the "music" came in the category of "famous people we've never heard of".
Last year we saw it live.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-27-2020

Good Evening everyone
        We had a quiet Thanksgiving and two of our grand daughters brought us dinner. We had a nice visit with them.  
We are baby sitting another grand daughters dog. She had to have her gall bladder removed Monday and she has 3 dogs but only one is this 100 pound lap dog. Ringo is 9 years old and the oldest of her 3 St. Bernards.  He does not get along with the other male which happens to be his son....but he loves humans and is gentle and sweet but clumsy. He tried to get in my bed at 6 am this morning and startled me awake. Our dog won't get up on the furniture. She is having trouble climbing so prefers the floor. 

I didn't watch the parades, I don't enjoy the bands because I feel the music they play is not marching band music. I know they work hard and are very good, but I love a parade with Sousa marches as the bands march by. 

I did some under table switch work yesterday and got a crossover back in service that had been leaving the frogs dead. The power routing points were not closing tight enough so a little more tension on a bell crank spring was needed, and since there was no bell crank to work the points, i had to make and install them. 

Tonight I was moving a few cars around and pulled a drawbar so I had to repair that. I could have just put the clip back on (Athearn) but I drilled and tapped it and put screws in them. This was a preassembled car I bought and I knew the day would come but having a few that can cause a problem adds realism to operations. 
I also did a little weathering on it.  

They are predicting snow Sunday so I did some voodoo today and got the snow blower out.  That usually is enough for it to go around us. 

Have a good week end group. 
Cheers
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-28-2020

Good morning all. Well, "Black Friday" is behind us and I guess it wasn't as crowded as in other years. Gee, I wonder why..... Waiting 

If I average all the forecasts, we're going to be in the high 60's to mid 70's though next week. AccuWeather has a few days with a 1% chance of rain. That's about equivalent to a flock of pigeons flying over. Speaking of flying over, one thing I haven't seen at all so far has been the long neck geese and the ducks. I wonder if they aren't stuck in some "shelter-in-place" or a "quarantine" state, or maybe can't get past the border patrol coming down from Canada.. Icon_lol

Got most of what I'm going to do for Christmas decorations up, just need to place the Manger and I'm done. We've had this Manger for close to 60 years and I wouldn't miss a year not putting it up, especially this year.

Everyone in the family that needed to, tested negative for Covid-19, so we'll be having our Thanksgiving dinner today at Pat's house. Still going to stay away from Walmart and Costco for a few days. Haven't a clue what I'd buy if I did go. Getting presents has always been difficult, I always seem to get the wrong things.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-28-2020

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 30 headed for sunny and 57. Nice yet today but winds up to 40 mph tomorrow and mid 30s for the temperature.

Yesterday was a little different from what was planned. I went to Menards about 9. I was able to walk in, get what I wanted, and walk out again. No crowds, no hassle. When it was time for the gym I grabbed my bag, threw it in the car and drove right past the gym and came back home. I just wasn't in the mood. Watch a surprisingly close football game at noon. As usual we could have won except for a few huge mistakes. After that I mailed $20 worth of Menards rebate forms and walked to the grocery store for some milk.

This morning I plan to work on stencils. This afternoon I may go for a bike ride as it's supposed to be quite warm for this time of year. Later I'll get a train out to run and probably start a fire. Since the weather is holding I am planning on burgers on the grill for supper.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 11-28-2020

Morning.  Slept late.  Wifey off to Niece's and Nephew's to see new houses in Wilmington.  Babysitting.  Why not hunting.  Had a good day [afternoon].  Saw 5 bucks.  Last three were out down shooting lane but was too dark to make out the points on antlers.  Stayed eating corn until dark.

Errands today.  Pickup Battery Tender for widow lady friend.  Truck her husband drove has to be jumped off all the time [not driven].  Will extend the connector through grill like my truck.  Frankie and I will do Monday.  A few things at gro. 

Got to get two new sets of NS splinecars on the track that came yesterday.

Have a safe and good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-28-2020

Hello Blue
We had bright sun all day but only in the 40s.
We took a risk and had the kids here for Thanksgiving. No one has been sick so we will wait and see if it was a mistake.

I learned Thanksgiving morning that my niece, my sisters first born had died from a heart attack at 56 years.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-29-2020

Good morning all. SJ, sorry about your loss, condolences for you and your family.

Got some crazy weather guessing. One has a chance of rain for this coming weekend, another has some at the end of next week. They must get their crystal balls from different manufacturers since none of them agree.

Got a touch of my annual winter cold. No signs of the virus, just a plain old everyday head & stomach cold. It's hard to think about things like this with the virus thingy, but there's still the flu and colds to spread around, so be careful. Just glad I got my flu shot already. BCBS sent me a $10 gift card as a thank you for doing that. Going to take it easy today, maybe even watch some football for a bit. I never seem to get though a whole game, just play football, forget about the choreographed dance routines, the chicken strut, or now, the group poses for the camera.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 11-29-2020

Sunny and 55.  Warm today.  Storms from TX and LA to hit tonight.  Should be gone by noon tomorrow.  Then below normal temps.  About time.  Last of Nov. 

Got the spline cars on the track behind long stack train.  Switched out last truck on last set of cars to end of train device trucks.  Ran the train some and all OK.      

Being lazy.  Enjoy your day and be safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-29-2020

Good morning blue.
         Sunny day here today, Morning weather on local station says storm coming and it could be a significant snowfall, however it is too soon to tell for sure Stay tuned. The national weather service forecast: Monday Night  Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 10pm. Low around 30. West wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

And they wonder why no one is paying attention to them. Anyhow, the snow blower is ready to go. 

Work on the layout later today. I have to run some more wire to power some more districts. I'm not laying track, I just want to seperate some more so a trip on one section doesn't shut the whole layout down. 

Cheers to all and stay well my friends.
Charlie  

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-29-2020

SJ - sorry about your family's loss. She was way too young!

A blustery greetings, gang.

It's 37 falling to 32 by later this afternoon with winds approaching 45 mph.

I'm glad I spent yesterday outside. Got the car washed and vacuumed. Also took my drone out for a while. It has a virtual reality feature where if I put my cell phone in a headset it gives me a first person view from the drone. Kind of fun but also a little disorienting. While I was washing my car my daughter stopped by. We stood and chatted for almost a half hour. Later on I got out the logging train for a while and had a fire in the pit. A Corona (not the virus) and burgers on the grill finished off the day.

This morning I watched the F1 race. There was a terrible accident on the first lap resulting in a red flag for over an hour while a barrier was repaired. The driver had second degree burns on his hands and ankles and possibly a broken rib but is otherwise ok. Later in the race another car burst into flames and finally pulled off the track. A couple of very scary incidents. The rest of today will be spent working on toyboxes. I need to do better with the stencils. Christmas is rapidly approaching.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-30-2020

Good morning everyone, happy Monday to ya all. Not a typical hoiday-season Monday, lots of folks working from home, lots of others not working at all. Even brick-and-mortar stores aren't as crowded as other years. I see where a third of all small businesses in NY/NJ are closed. Some states are trying to recall their governors, some I guess would like to lynch them, especially those that flout to orders that they impose on others. Enough about that, I just hope these vaccines get here quickly and do their job.

Beautiful days in store here for this week, "lots of sunshine" says one forecast. If I average out Saturday's chances of rain, we're looking at a 7 3/4% chance, 7 1/2% for Sunday. Gotta go out and water the cactus again, don't believe any of these soothsayers.

Got all the Christmas decorations up that I intend to put up. I was at Pat's house, "Alexa, turn on the Christmas tree lights"... "Alexa, dim the living room lights". Me, I'm one step above old fashion, I push a remote button to turn my tree lights on and actually have to get up to dim the lights. That may change, I have Alexa, I need to install all the gadgets to make her do all these things.

Did watch some football yesterday, watched the Cardinals get beat on the last play of the game..... again....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-30-2020

Greetings, gang.

A little chilly this morning at 16 degrees. High for today under sunny skies is supposed to be int the low to mid 30s.

Pretty quiet day yesterday. I finally gave up on using craft paints for the stencils. That worked well but I only had a limited selection of colors. A trip to Walmart this morning will resolve that issue. Several other tasks to take care of this morning so I'll probably skip the gym.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-30-2020

Good morning blue

Watching the news anymore is enough to make you want to crawl in a hole. Body counts on covid and now our locals have a doom and gloom stow storm expected late today and through Wednesday. We could get as much as 3 inches of snow. The will probably shut down what schools that are open and Amtrak will probably have to discontinue trains for the duration like they did last winter.  Icon_e_biggrin

We have an appointment to look at a property today that I am hoping will be suitable for my 55 year old daughter and her daughter. She was widowed 10 years ago and would like to sell her place in town and move out a little and this place might work well for her. It needs some work but they are capable.

I am hoping to get some work done in the train room this afternoon.  My plans were shattered yesterday by an unexpected visit from a life long friend from Virginia.  We had a nice visit.  I haven't seen him for over a year. His cousin married my brother and he tries to visit more often but hasn't made it recently. 

MRC should get the defective booster today and I hope they take care of it without any hassle.
Chers
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 11-30-2020

Rainy and 69.  Windy.  Suppose to be fair by noon.  Temps to drop and 25 by morning.  Finally a hard freeze.  That will get things and leaves will finish falling.

This afternoon, installing Battery Tender on widow lady's truck [was her hubby's].  Complaining about battery going dead.  Doesn't drive.  She is on the southern part of the county.  Near Frankie's.  He is meeting me to help.

Hope all stay well.