The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 06-23-2018

Apparently the same salesman that went to Arizona, once stopped in Pennsylvania. We have close to 100 types of plates, All the way from pro sports teams to university alumni to high schools and of course charities.

Then the personalized plates. Most are Blue and Gold, but there are picture/charity plates, I had one for the Philadelphia Zoo (Drawing of an owl), Railroad heritage (my avatar) and now I have the Amateur Radio plate. All are 25.00 more (split between the state and the organization add on the fact that trucks are 15.00 more than cars.

Lots of personalized plates; MOMS TXI, NRS JAKI, GRN GRAS, (which I read as GERN GRASS LOL) a white VW rabbit had the best one: Iml8 (Alice in wonderland).

To add to the fun, last year they did away with the annual sticker on the plates. We had people getting pulled over in bordering states that didn't get the memo, so they thought the registrations were out. Registrations still cost the same, it just saves the state money.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-23-2018

Greetings, gang.

Hazy sunshine and 57 degrees to start the day this morning. Clouds and 79 will finish it.

Fairly quiet day yesterday. Went to supper with some friends last night.

Today is my third Saturday this week. On Both Tuesday and Friday I thought it was Saturday. One of the hazards of retirement, I guess. Not much planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-23-2018

(06-23-2018, 06:45 AM)ngauger Wrote: Apparently the same salesman that went to Arizona, once stopped in Pennsylvania. We have close to 100 types of plates, All the way from pro sports teams to university alumni to high schools and of course charities...

Good morning all, glad to see that license plate salesman gets around. It used to be that a license plate was used to ID the vehicle it was on just in case of an accident, theft or traffic violation. Now, it is a vanity thing. Yeah, I bought into it with "ezdays" and when we had the truck, it was, "bzdays", but you can still ID the plate as being from Arizona. As with those other 99 different plates, if you can't read the small "ARIZONA" at the top of the plate, or it's hidden by a plate frame, you're out of luck.

A few years ago they started using laminated plates. The older plates were painted and stamped aluminum. After years in the Arizona sun, the paint on the back plates would peel off and the plates wound up silver. I was at the DMV one day for something else, and told them that the paint was flaking off my plate and needed a new one. "Not a problem, there is a $10 fee for that", even though it is the state's problem, not ours. Many people just drive around with silver plates, again, making it impossible to read the plate, when in fact, they should all be recalled because of that defect.

Sorry to take up this much time to complain about state license plates, but hey, at this age in life, we are entitled to complain about anything we want to.... Dodgy And yes, I agree with Tom, it seems like we have six Saturdays a week, and if you don't get confused,  on Sunday there's church and no medical appointments are the only differences, all this thanks to retirement. Blush

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-25-2018

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 67 this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be in the upper 70s. Rain tonight.

Saturday I got the yard mowed, ran the string trimmer, and rode the bike. After supper I was going to run the train but found a bad section of track. I'll fix that today.

Yesterday I got the laundry caught up. Today it's off to the gym and to Walmart.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-25-2018

Good morning all. Today's weather here is about normal for this time of the year, high temp = 105, humidity forecast at 7%. Records for this day are: temps 118° (1990), rainfall 0.01" (in the past 30 years, it rained only four days pn this date, obviously, not a lot when it did). Rolleyes 

Just in case you hadn't seen this thread, https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=8724, we are having a problem with unread threads showing as such, our webmaster is looking into what's causing the problem. We will keep you posted as to his progress.....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-25-2018

Busy hot humid day.  Outside chores.  Now take "kids" to the vet.  Cold front [no such thing in the summer] coming and rain showers later.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-26-2018

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 63 outside my window this morning.  High for today is supposed to be in the upper 70s with 90s by the weekend.

Quiet day yesterday.  Picked up some things at Walmart and ran a few other errand.  In the afternoon I went to the local cemetery and got a couple totes of dirt to repair the area around the front steps.  Put in the new dirt, grass seed, and fertilizer.  Check this morning and still no new grass.  Eek  Must be very slow growing grass.

Not much planned for today.  Planning to go to the gym but as often happens in the summer I never quite make it.  Will probably ride the bike instead.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-26-2018

Good morning all. Today is a somewhat historical day here, back in 1990, it was 122°, the hottest on record for Phoenix. We've had a few 119's and 120's, but that day is still clear in my mind. It didn't feel that much hotter than 115, anything over 110 is hard to tell the difference, but I do remember stepping out into the parking lot and the blacktop kinda squished under my feet. It didn't leave an imprint, it was just soft.  Today's temps won't come close to that, but still pushing close to the 110 mark. This is the time of the year that most folks spend either somewhere else, like up north, in a movie theater, a mall or at home in an A/C house.

I'm a bit leery of the weather app that I have on my computer, it conflicts with known records, like today it says the record was 120 in 1990 and we know that's not right. Time to look for another app....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-26-2018

Morning.  Picked up oldest Granddaughter from DIL's Raleigh PD office.  Her an Nana Pam have gone to the mall and etc.  Grand is excited.

Never rains as guessers had said storms.  All dropped south of us.  Calling for showers today.  HUMMM  Gardens would love to have rain and I would too [as watering].

DAZ, hope you get relief from heat.

Tom, that would be special fast growing grass. 

Later.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-27-2018

Greetings, gang.

Foggy and 64 outside my window this morning. Fog will burn off and the temp is supposed to hit the mid 80s today, so they say.

Very quiet day yesterday. I did get in a bike ride late in the afternoon. Also rode my bike to the grocery store for for a few small items. Nothing much on tap for today. I need to get the track repaired. Found a bad spot the other day. Will have to take a tarp out to sit on the ground. Ground is still too wet from all the rain.

Frank, I should have spent the extra 50 cents to get the fast growing stuff.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-27-2018

Good morning all, here we are into our "monsoon" season and it's only rained a little bit one time. I'm just wondering Frank, if you can have your next storm miss you by about 2500 miles to your west. I'm going to have to buy another garden hose today, some of our cactus plants are starting to look a bit seedy. We gave away all of our garden tools when we moved to that retirement community. No need there, but we're back into a house and well, we can use that stuff now. We don't have a vacuum cleaner anymore either, fortunately, the lady that comes by to clean every month does.

No record heat today, but still, 110+ is a bit over normal. A nice monsoon storm would bring that down by around 20 degrees very quickly.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 06-27-2018

Well, we got a slow soaker of 3/4 of and inch yesterday.  Sun out now but guessers say more rain today.  HUMID.

Don, rifle shooting lady friend lives south of you near the border.  She is looking forward to the monsoon.  Gets to save up her water.  Also desert blooms out good.

Tom, grass will grow.  Just watch.  

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 06-27-2018

Off/on rain sometimes heavy. very humid. 80s today.
No special news just thought I'd check in.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 06-28-2018

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 71 this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be in the upper 80s. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the upper 90s. Overnight low tonight is predicted to be in the mid 70s so I'll probably turn the a/c on later.

Yesterday I went for a 14 mile bike ride. Was going to try for 15 but was just too tired. Will try again today. Also got the outdoor track fixed and adjusted the brakes on my bike. No major plans yet for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 06-28-2018

Good morning all, we're not that far from yet another weekend and a new month. Not sure how we got to July this quickly, but we're here come Sunday.

Frank, your friend is right, the desert comes alive after a rain. Cacti bloom, flowers sprout with color and even some species show up. We have some frogs that hibernates below the surface until the rain pools up into mini lakes. Then as if they were freeze dried, they come alive as long as there's water around. We get flooding whether it be in the middle of the desert or the middle of town. When we lived in Wickenburg, most of our property was in a flood zone, but our house was up on a hill. When it rained in the desert, we had a wash behind us that ran like a river for a few hours. In the spring, if we got enough rain, we had a field of yellow wildflowers there. That's one reason why we live in Arizona....

Oh, we still have the "unread posts" problem, but may have a solution. We probably will have to go off-line for a hour or so to work on it, but we'll let you know before we do...