The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-20-2018

Good morning all, getting down to the wire to finish your Christmas shopping. I hope you get what your looking for before it disappears from the shelves (or off the website). We still prefer going to a "brick and mortar" store so we know what we're buying and from who. The few things we order through the Internet are usually from Walmart so we can go to the store and see it before we take it home.

My weather app says that there's a 60% chance of rain on Christmas Day, and beyond. The weather guessers on TV now give it a 10% chance on Christmas and don't have a clear view of anything later. Temps are now forecast in the high 50's for next week, with lows around 40. Chilly for a while and wet, depending on who you listen to....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-20-2018

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 35 after another warm day yesterday. Got to 45, which is warm enough that after an hour head start for the space heater I was able to sit on the front porch again and read. Today's temp will get a few degrees colder as a front moves through bringing 30 mph winds. No drone flying today.

Fairly quiet day yesterday. Did a couple loads of laundry. Today's agenda has yet to be finalized but will start with a trip to Walmart for a few necessities. May or may not go to the gym. Got woke up several times during the night by a pain in my shoulder if I moved a certain way. Great-grandson is slowly improving.

Pennman - when my wife said she needed help I had to do very little other than listen to her while she talked. She loved to talk and expected very little in return other than "ok" or "right" or similar response indicating that I had heard what she said.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-20-2018

Hello Blue
Cloudy with rain expected by afternoon. Hi 40s today.
Looks like No snow for Christmas and that's fine with me.
I was out early this morning, got a hair cut so maybe a Saturday bath and I'll be set for Christmas.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-20-2018

Wow, raining hard.  Got wet outside with Spectrum supervisor.  Had 4 techs, 2 supervisors and one aril guy working to verify everything OK.  Changed a few connectors.  Did find at one time, one box [one giving trouble off and on] was not communicating with Main DVR.  Did change it out. ???  They could not believe that the guys extending the coaxes use splices instead of rerunning cables.  Splices are under the deck and have to crawl to them.  They will come back when dries out some and check.  Told supervisor, told those guys I hope no one has to crawl under and work on those.  We'll see what happens.  Actually one supervisor said, poor equipment [meaning brand of the playback box].  Said good manufacturer couldn't keep up with demand so company goes to someone else.  Interesting.

I had typed that I had early out this AM and finally got home at 2:30.  Spectrum comes at 3.  Suddenly they disconnected the feed and no signal.  Lost post. 

Later.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-21-2018

Yeah Frank, you have to wonder about who some of these "techs" are. One time I had a installation tech show up and spent the day cutting into the wrong wires and wondering why things in the other room stopped working. One problem he tried to solve for a low signal was to put an adapter on a small antenna for the remote control. Nothing worked and he finally called his supervisor and quit. When he left, I looked at the adapter and there was a tag on it saying that it was an attenuator to be used only to suppress the signal. I still have that "adapter" in my desk drawer. Oh yeah, removing it helped get the remote to work.

A bit chilly right now, but it did get up near record temps yesterday. It was 75 late in the afternoon, and a record 62 up in Flagstaff where there is still plenty of snow on the ground there. Fear not, temps are suppose to drop, rain here and lots of snow in the forecast for up north, all starting on Christmas Day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 12-21-2018

When we first moved in here we had direct tv installed. We had had direct TV at the railroad apartment and wanted to continue. We needed a new box so we just signed up for a new account but of course they did not let us know we would lose legacy privileges which meant giving up a lot of channels. 
      The house was wired for cable so I told the installer he could just tap into the junction box and the signal could be picked up from any of the cable outlets. 
     Next thing I know he was crawling around in the attic. I asked him what he was doing and he said he had to run a cable from the old outside cable box to the inside junction box which told me he knew nothing about what he was doing. I told him to get his supervisor to come here, and when he did they still didn't have a clue. I told them to mount the damn dish and where to run the wire, then showed them exactly where to tie into. Job done and worked fine for about 6 months, then we lost the signal. I called and of course went through all the baloney of turning off unplugging etc. They finally said they would send a tech out but it would cost me 49.95. (All the equipment was theirs as I paid a rental fee) Of course I got POed and told them forget it, I would pay the DTV contract off and quit in 6 months when the contract expired. 
     I figured since I was stuck I would see if I could find the problem, so with the ladder propped against the house I made the way to the dish and found the coax connection had not been made water tight and the signal wire was a copper coated steel wire which had been completely dissolved. 
I took this picture of this great installation, knowing had I paid the 49 dollar fee I would never have known it was shoddy work that was the problem      
     While I was there I took a picture of the ground wire installation........another perfect job.     
We had our DTV back after I fixed it and waterproofed it and when the contract obligation was filled I called to cancel, and I was amazed at what they would do for me in order to keep us, including offering the legacy package without a contract continuation. We dropped them, I bought a 28 dollar antenna, and we get 66 channels, and a roku for streaming and life is good.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-21-2018

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 25 with a low tonight predicted to be about 22.

Quiet day yesterday. I did skip the gym but went today and had no problems. Got a call this afternoon from my credit card company. Someone was trying to charge about $10k on my credit card. Fortunately they caught it. Since it was an account in my wife's name I just had them close the account.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-22-2018

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 23 right now and the NWS is claiming a high of around 37 later today with possibly clearing skies.

Looks to be a very quiet weekend for me. Not too windy today so I may get the drone out for a while. Great-grandson showing more improvement and may get to go home today. Gas is down to $1.97.9

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-22-2018

Morning.  52 and SUNNY.  big party at the house last night.  All fun.  Now we clean.  Animals would not let me sleep late.  Wifey slept till 9"30.  Called sister and misdialed.  Got someone in Pacific time zone.  Lady answered with baby crying in background and said, "Its 6:30."  OMG.

Get ready and run errands.

When we had lake house, had DIRECT.  Horrible install.  Guy came a day late.  Claimed he couldn't come due to snow which was BS.  Contractor.  Took all the boxes and piled in floor.  Installed all new ones [just like those].  Asked what to do with them.  He said, Throw in the trash." ??  Had horrible billing and customer service,  Switched to DISH.  Guy came to install.  5 hours later, calls supervisor.  Finally got installed.  After that, great service.  Will never use DIRECT if I had to use satellite [which I hope I never have to do].  

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-23-2018

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 28 this morning with a predicted high in the mid 30s.  We have a 50% chance of a light dusting of snow for Christmas Eve.

Very quiet weekend under way.  Did not talk to a single person all day.  I did get some cleaning done in my shop but lots more to do.  Nothing planned for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-23-2018

Good afternoon, beautiful clear day today, high temps in the low 70's. Downward trend starts tomorrow, into the 60's with a good chance of rain starting on Christmas Day. Gotta go, just ordered a pizza, need to pick it up since it's only about 1/2 mile away. Not worth getting delivery being that close.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-24-2018

Greetings, gang.

Mostly clear and 18 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. High for today should be in the mid 30s. The chance for snow tonight has been removed from the forecast. Rain starts Wed. through Friday with 1-2 inches for Wed. night. Better rain than snow.

Another quiet day yesterday. Great-grandson home from the hospital and doing well. Older daughter and her husband will be here for Christmas dinner. I need to make a quick run to the grocery store for some additional menu items since they will be here. Also going to hit the gym.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-24-2018

Sunny and 48.  All quite as Wifey cooks.  Then the Grands will arrive.  Eek   Noise level will go way up.  

Hope all have a great and safe Christmas.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-24-2018

Christmas Eve tonight, ALREADY???? Christmas is always a nice time of the year, but each year it seems to come quicker and quicker. I'm just starting to cool down from the summer heat and here we are just days away from another new year.

Just came from Walmart, needed a few things in the pharmacy dept. Good thing we didn't need anything else, rows and rows of shelves either completely empty or they look like they were hit by a tornado. It must have been a wild day yesterday. We were early, so there were lots of employees moving things around taking empty displays away, pulling pallets of items trying to refill the emptiness before more shoppers showed up. Ahh, the beauty of late minute Christmas shopping, filter though what's left and hope it's going to work....

Everyone here, we wish you the best and Merriest of Christmas, we hope Santa treats you well, and most of all, that you can spend the day with your family and friends. And to all those on TV that are suggesting how to eat healthy over the holidays, I say, "Bahh, Humbug", eat what you like and as much as you want, and don't worry, there'll be lots of folks on TV after the first of the year to tell you how to work those extra pounds off... Icon_e_surprised

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-24-2018

Some people! Watching new people move in across the street Guy backs a trailer up to the front steps. Unhooked the trailer and drove away. Problem is there is not enough room to lower the tailgate. Not sure how they plan to get the furniture off the trailer.

Tom