The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-28-2019

Greetings, gang.

The cold has started to arrive. It was 16 when I got out of bed about an hour ago. Right now it's 9 and headed to about 2 by daylight's end. Wind is about 20-25 mph so it's kinda nasty out there. The NWS is predicted a low on Wed. morning of -25F with a high on Wed. of -13F. Those are actual temperatures without wind chill. I'm checking Google maps to make sure I haven't been annexed by Canada. On the bright side the NWS is also predicting a high by Saturday of 41.

This morning I need go go out and clean up about 2 inches of snow we received overnight.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-28-2019

Good Monday morning to you all, yup, it's getting pretty cold in some areas so I'm not going to rub it in by giving our weather. However, there is rain in the schedule for this weekend, kinda not nice for those folks trying to play and watch golf at the Phoenix Open.

Gas is starting to come down, in some areas around town, it's as low as $2.29, our area isn't so good, but went from $2.59 to $2.49 last week. We could drive to Tucson if we want and only pay $2.09, but then again, it wouldn't pay unless you had another reason to go there.

Making progress, got my layout bench designed and still playing around with the layout. Time I guess to start a progress thread, remember, N scale.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-28-2019

Passing through.  Good day.  48 but feels cooler.  Cold on the way thanks to Tom.  Tom, stay in stay warm.

DAZ, stay in too.

Later

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-28-2019

Hello Blue
Well the all day snow has been cleared from our driveway and walk. Now the bitter cold arrives soon.
I'm sittin here watching TV and playing with the laptop.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-29-2019

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and -2. The cold has started to arrive. It's already dropped a degree and is supposed to be about -10 by late afternoon.

I had a "first" yesterday. It was cold and windy enough (+8F and 30 mph winds) that I had to come in and warm up before I could finish running the snow blower. Must be the global warming everyone is talking about.

(01-28-2019, 01:55 PM)Chief Eagles Wrote: Cold on the way thanks to Tom. 

I'm always happy to share with my forum friends.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-29-2019

Good morning everyone, I hope those of you in the freeze zone are making it OK. I hate to think of what my life would be like right now if I lived there, trying to shovel snow or even driving on icy streets. Most of all, freezing my rear off.

Went to Home Depot to buy a 4' x 8' sheet of MDF and have them cut it. No can do, big sign, "panel cutter broke". Went across the street to Lowe's and guess what, their panel cutter is also broke.... Just don't feel up to lifting a full sheet to cut in on my table saw, so off to a different Home Depot/Loew's, about a 10 mile drive away....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-29-2019

No snow.  Rain and then wind.  Temps dropping.  32 degrees.  Wind to howl tomorrow.

Stay warm all.  Especially Tom.  News said Iowa was one of the places schools closed and etc. due to cold.

Had busy day.  Sleep tight.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-30-2019

Good morning all, I hope everyone is kept warm in one way or another. I see those videos and weather reports on TV and cringe.

Did get to another Home Depot, "yeah, that saw at the other store has been busted a long time", says the guy that cut my panel. I guess they're in no rush to fix it in order to help their customers.

Some chance of rain tomorrow late and into Friday. Same for the weekend. We could use it, but I don't think the folks doing that golf thing will be too happy about it. That tournament has been rained on before to the point where the final rounds had to be postponed a few days. I don't follow golf, but that's such a big deal around here that the TV "news", won't let you forget it.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-30-2019

Greetings, gang.

Clear and cold this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. -24F with a wind chill of -46. Wind is only at 10 mph so the wind chill will get worse as the winds pick up to 15-20 mph later this morning. High for today is supposed to be about -12. Pretty much all the schools in the state are closed, as is mail delivery. Will probably be that way tomorrow also. Hats off the the paper carrier. The newspaper was on my porch when I got up this morning.

Oh, the exciting life of a swinging single guy. Yesterday I scrubbed the kitchen floor, did some ironing, cleaned the drip pans on the stove, and made some corn bread. Bet you guys are all jealous of all the fun I'm having.

I do have to go out this evening. The mother of one of my daughter's oldest friends passed away. Visitation is this evening. Daughter will be there also. She is staying with a friend in far NW Iowa. Her son has a hockey tournament in Sioux Falls over the weekend. The rest of her family is driving from Rapid City on Friday after school.

Don - count your blessings. My nearest Lowes is 60 miles away and Home Depot is 80 miles away. I do have a Menards in town but they won't cut lumber.

All stay warm.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-30-2019

Well, to listen to the local weather people it is the coldest it has been in a million years. Virtually everything has closed. Our temperature got to 0. Yes, that is ZERO. possibly drop to 5 below this afternoon with a low of 10 below tonight.  in 1978 the temperature got to 23 below and I was out taking pictures. They have even suspended mail delivery here because of the cold. That being the case I wonder if folks in North Dakota get any mail at all between December 1st and March 31st.  
The local weather girl even showed how an egg will freeze on the sidewalk. Now that's another useless demonstration, but I have seen them fry an egg on the side walk so I guess it's another way to waste food. 
Have we reared a generation  that can't go out in cold weather because they have spent their lives in front of the computer, TV and their phones?
I'm retired and I don't have to go out but my wife has left for her volunteer day at the local Angels for Animals 
Yes, it is cold, but we have all seen a lot worse. 

Everyone stay warm. 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-30-2019

All jokes aside, you Yanks stay warm.  I feel for you.  We were 28 this AM.  Wind to kick in.  In a few days we are to hit near 60.  Even when north and west to be cold.  

Errands, yearly eye exam and big mixed use development meeting.  BJ's with SIL and her hubby tonight. 

Stay warm.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-30-2019

Quote:Don - count your blessings. My nearest Lowes is 60 miles away and Home Depot is 80 miles away. I do have a Menards in town but they won't cut lumber.

Been kinda jealous not having a Menards anywhere near us. Both Home Depot and Lowe's will usually give you two cuts on a panel free. I could do those at home, but a 1/2" MDF panel weights in at around 70# and I'm just not into lifting weights anymore, not that I ever was... Icon_lol

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-31-2019

Greetings, gang.

Clear and -9 after an overnight low of -23 at midnight. Been warming up ever since. Some light snow is also on the way. Upper 40s by Sunday.

Not much to talk about this morning. Just staying inside for one more day.

Charlie - I've lived in the midwest all my life and yeah, it's been about as cold as I can remember. One thing I have learned is if a person wants to but warm clothing, go north. I've found warm coats and sweaters in Minneapolis and Duluth. Bring them back here to Iowa and I can really stay warm.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-31-2019

Morning.  Cold but not bitter.  Guessers say 70's next week.

Stay warm.  On the run.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-31-2019

Good morning, local newspaper lead story, "Arctic blast sends travelers to Phoenix...", yup, that and today they're expecting some 300,000 people to follow around pro golfers, or better yet, spend the day in the "Bird's Nest" (a gigantic watering hole at the Phoenix Open), getting sloshed. 

Good luck to all of you in the path of what they're calling the "vortex", and hope it gets back to normal real soon.