Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Back Shop (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: Tips and Tricks (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track (/showthread.php?tid=9102)

Pages: 1 2

Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - RobertInOntario - 04-01-2020

Hi all,

I used to use rubbing alcohol to clean my track which worked really well.  Well, for obvious reasons, rubbing alcohol is almost impossible to find. Can anyone recommend any alternatives? 

Out of desperation, I started using some Humbrol enamel thinner -- I dab a bit of this onto an old T shirt/ rag and it seems to be cleaning up the grime nicely!   I might continue using this but could it cause any problems anywhere?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - Tyson Rayles - 04-02-2020

I use electric motor cleaner, comes in a spray can and can be found at auto parts houses and hardware and box stores like home depot. It leaves no residue but it will melt plastic so spray a little on a rag and carefully wipe your track if you use plastic ties. You can use WD-40 and it won't hurt anything but it does leave a slippery residue so when you are done cleaning you need to take a clean rag or paper towel and wipe down the track.

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - RobertInOntario - 04-02-2020

(04-02-2020, 06:25 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: I use electric motor cleaner, comes in a spray can and can be found at auto parts houses and hardware and box stores like home depot. It leaves no residue but it will melt plastic so spray a little on a rag and carefully wipe your track if you use plastic ties. You can use WD-40 and it won't hurt anything but it does leave a slippery residue so when you are done cleaning you need to take a clean rag or paper towel and wipe down the track.

Thanks, Mike. I will consider this or the WD40.

I've also used Wahl (barber's) oil in the past so that might work. My wife also suggested vinegar! I should try that too.

Cheers, Rob

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - UP SD40-2 - 04-02-2020

Rob, I pretty much just use rubbing alcohol, but my dad always used Goo Gone, and he swore by it. I remember ya had to get it off pretty good though, if you left a coat on the track ya would get wheel slippage sometimes.

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - BR60103 - 04-02-2020

I use a track cleaner from AeroCar or AeroModels. It's a clear liquid in a tall bottle. I managed to get a long eye dropper with a screwon cap for the bottle.
I don't use GooGone since I heard it leaves a residue but it sometimes takes a stcky deposit off.
I've also used Peco Electrolube, but that may not be available everywhere. Looks like oil but conducts.

I saw someone using some wipes from the hardware store that take off or clean up all sorts of paint -- may have turpentine. I used one of them on the Lionel layout.
You could try the wipes after you use them on your hands.

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - RobertInOntario - 04-03-2020

(04-02-2020, 08:00 PM)BR60103 Wrote: I use a track cleaner from AeroCar or AeroModels. It's a clear liquid in a tall bottle. I managed to get a long eye dropper with a screwon cap for the bottle.
I don't use GooGone since I heard it leaves a residue but it sometimes takes a stcky deposit off.
I've also used Peco Electrolube, but that may not be available everywhere. Looks like oil but conducts.

I saw someone using some wipes from the hardware store that take off or clean up all sorts of paint -- may have turpentine.  I used one of them on the Lionel layout.
You could try the wipes after you use them on your hands.

Thanks... I've tried wipes and they seem to work OK. Thanks for the other ideas too.

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - RobertInOntario - 04-03-2020

(04-02-2020, 07:39 PM)UP SD40-2 Wrote: Rob, I pretty much just use rubbing alcohol, but my dad always used Goo Gone, and he swore by it. I remember ya had to get it off pretty good though, if you left a coat on the track ya would get wheel slippage sometimes.

Yes, rubbing alcohol works really well but it's almost impossible to find right now. So I'm using a variety of options.  The paint thinner seemed to work really well but may be too strong (and smelly). Wipes are a good idea and I still have yet to try my wife's suggestion of using vinegar -- that could be a good option as well.

Cheers, Rob

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - ezdays - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 07:30 AM)RobertInOntario Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 07:39 PM)UP SD40-2 Wrote: Rob, I pretty much just use rubbing alcohol, but my dad always used Goo Gone, and he swore by it. I remember ya had to get it off pretty good though, if you left a coat on the track ya would get wheel slippage sometimes.

Yes, rubbing alcohol works really well but it's almost impossible to find right now. So I'm using a variety of options.  The paint thinner seemed to work really well but may be too strong (and smelly). Wipes are a good idea and I still have yet to try my wife's suggestion of using vinegar -- that could be a good option as well.

Cheers, Rob
 Went to Walmart the other day and they had a few cases of 90% alcohol on the floor plus a full shelf. I picked up a bottle. Also great for cleaning up dried acrylic paint, especially in brushes that didn't get washed too good.

(04-03-2020, 10:21 AM)ezdays Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 07:30 AM)RobertInOntario Wrote:

Cheers, Rob
 Went to Walmart the other day and they had a few cases of 90% alcohol on the floor plus a full shelf. I picked up a bottle. Also great for cleaning up dried acrylic paint, especially in brushes that didn't get washed too good.

Thanks, Don. I may try that, just depends on how brave I am to go into WalMart!

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - Tucson Frank - 04-05-2020

Hi Rob, I use denatured alcohol on my z scale layout. Be careful as it is very flammable. I also use a electronic track cleaner on the z layout with great results but it doesn't work on DCC. Ztrack.com has them for most scales. Good luck.

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - Charlie B - 04-05-2020

(04-05-2020, 08:19 PM)Tucson Frank Wrote: Hi Rob, I use denatured alcohol on my z scale layout. Be careful as it is very flammable. I also use a electronic track cleaner on the z layout with great results but it doesn't work on DCC. Ztrack.com has them for most scales. Good luck.

Welcome aboard Frank Jump into the Hobo campfire thread and introduce yourself. https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=8627&page=141&highlight=hobo EZdays is a fellow Arizonan and models N and is also co-owner of the forum. 
Charlie

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - RobertInOntario - 04-06-2020

(04-05-2020, 09:08 PM)Charlie B Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 08:19 PM)Tucson Frank Wrote: Hi Rob, I use denatured alcohol on my z scale layout. Be careful as it is very flammable. I also use a electronic track cleaner on the z layout with great results but it doesn't work on DCC. Ztrack.com has them for most scales. Good luck.

Welcome aboard Frank Jump into the Hobo campfire thread and introduce yourself. https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=8627&page=141&highlight=hobo EZdays is a fellow Arizonan and models N and is also co-owner of the forum. 
Charlie

Thanks! Where is the best place to buy denatured alcohol... I'll google it as well.

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - doctorwayne - 04-06-2020

Rob, you can buy 99% alcohol at any drugstore (at some, you may have to ask for it), and can likely find denatured alcohol at Canadian Tire - as far as I know, the latter is still open, but limiting the number of people entering at one time.

Wayne

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - RobertInOntario - 04-06-2020

(04-06-2020, 08:46 AM)doctorwayne Wrote: Rob, you can buy 99% alcohol at any drugstore (at some, you may have to ask for it), and can likely find denatured alcohol at Canadian Tire - as far as I know, the latter is still open, but limiting the number of people entering at one time.

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne.  I'll try Shoppers first then possibly Canadian Tire.

RE: Alternatives to rubbing alcohol for cleaning track - Tucson Frank - 04-06-2020

Rob, I bought mine at Ace hardware but any hardware store should have it. It is in the paint products area sold in quarts up to 1 gallon cans. Sometimes it is labeled as Fuel for alcohol stoves. If you use it shut off the power to the layout and have good ventilation. You want no sparks.

Frank