Its been a while - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Its been a while (/showthread.php?tid=9132)

Its been a while - Wheeltapper - 05-28-2020

Hello,

I am in a strange situation with my kids almost heading out to university and yet not quite. I have risk assessed the likely candidates bedroom to use and it happens to be the one who will be heading out soonest, go figure.

I have been given lots of time recently to pick up a love for model railroading after the last portable 5x4ft railroad the kids and I built. So after making my collection more focused and thinning the herd I decided, with support, on a shelf layout. The condition was that it complimented, not invade the room. 

I looked at what I could with a 12 inch wide layout around 3 walls and surprisingly its quite a bit. Rather than fill it will industries and all my rolling stock I want to go the other way and fill it with golden harvest wheat fields, maybe an elevator and maybe a farm and of course the ever popular rural grade crossing and dirt road.

I am using 1x3 inch pine lumber, nice and light with metal brackets which will hopefully be substantially covered by 3mm hardboard fascia. The surface will be my old friend pink board as I have not really found anything to beat its ease to use and its ability to give elevation. 

This will be a DC layout so I am looking for any handheld suggestions.

This layout sits in front my desk and is an extension of my thoughts as I keep on running, nominally a CNR entity.

Thanks

Sean

RE: Its been a while - doctorwayne - 05-28-2020

Sean, for DC control you'll not likely find a better hand-held throttle than one from Stapleton Electronics

I run mine with an MRC Contolmaster 20, and it has no problem handling multiple locos on heavy trains, as my layout is mostly grades and curves, usually occurring in the same locations.

The handheld, walk-around unit has an adjustable momentum feature and a very useful speed range for all types of operation, plus a memory feature which keeps the train running while you disconnect from one outlet to walk to another.
Mine is on a 25' springy telephone cord, with 'phone jacks at convenient locations of the layout fascia, needed due to the odd shape of the layout room and the layout itself.

His shop is about a fifteen minute drive from here, and I can vouch for both his product and for the fact that he stands behind it, too, as he recently replaced a defective switch on mine, while I waited, gratis.

I have run over a dozen locomotives at one time using the throttle (mainly for entertaining my grandkids, as they raced around the layout room trying to keep track of the action).

Wayne

RE: Its been a while - Wheeltapper - 05-29-2020

(05-28-2020, 11:32 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Sean, for DC control you'll not likely find a better hand-held throttle that one from Stapleton Electronics

I run mine with an MRC Contolmaster 20, and it has no problem handling multiple locos on heavy trains, as my layout is mostly grades and curves, usually occurring in the same locations.

The handheld, walk-around unit has an adjustable momentum feature and a very useful speed range for all types of operation, plus a memory feature which keeps the train running while you disconnect from one outlet to walk to another.
Mine is on a 25' springy telephone cord, with 'phone jacks at convenient locations of the layout fascia, needed due to the odd shape of the layout room and the layout itself.

His shop is about a fifteen minute drive from here, and I can vouch for both his product and for the fact that he stands behind it, too, as he recently replaced a defective switch on mine, while I waited, gratis.

I have run over a dozen locomotives at one time using the throttle (mainly for entertaining my grandkids, as they raced around the layout room trying to keep track of the action).

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

I currently use an MRC 220 which I could continue to use because of the size of the layout however I like the idea of a walk around hand held. 
Sold!

Sean

RE: Its been a while - Tyson Rayles - 05-29-2020

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing your layout build.

RE: Its been a while - UP SD40-2 - 05-29-2020

Welcome to the forum Sean! Applause 

I cant wait to see your layout come to life Icon_e_biggrin

[quote="Tyson Rayles" pid='156973' dateline='1590753162']
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing your layout build.

Well the bench is not going to take long at all. The trick will be not to fill the space with 'pink flamingos'

[quote="UP SD40-2" pid='156983' dateline='1590790793']

I cant wait to see your layout come to life 

Me either, I am currently in the straight and level phase complicated by the 'that cant be another stud' phase.

RE: Its been a while - Wheeltapper - 05-30-2020

[quote="Wheeltapper" pid='156985' dateline='1590791606']
[quote="UP SD40-2" pid='156983' dateline='1590790793']

I cant wait to see your layout come to life 

Me either, I am currently in the straight and level phase complicated by the 'that cant be another stud' phase.

So here we are on day 3 and I have added the first 8ft length across the main wall. The Railroad Committee is currently in negotiation with its board of directors about surveying the next miles of track so we will offer up these awful anemic pictures to prove progress is being made.

The last time I used 4x8ft x 1.5 inches it was simple to find now I worked hard and came up with precut 2x8ft lengths at an amazing 2inches from HomeHardware.

Sean

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49965537602_1f923830d0_m.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49964754763_4fe7f7fed1_m.jpg