The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-06-2021

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 42 at the moment headed for sunny and 68 with light winds this afternoon. Same for tomorrow only a little breezier.

I did go for a walk yesterday afternoon since it was a little too windy for bike riding (over 35 mph). Otherwise not much accomplished. Talk about ask and ye shall receive. In yesterday morning's paper there was an article that the local burning ban will be lifted starting today for a week. With the light winds predicted for today it looks like that pile of brush on the patio will be history.

While reading last month's MR (yes, I'm a little behind) I saw a review of an Athearn GP-18. It took a second look at the photo to realize the engine was decorated with the old Illinois Central green diamond logo. I've been hooping for a 1st gen diesel with that for a long time. The engine should be here Monday. That green diamond was on the engines I saw while growing up in Waterloo, IA.

On tap for this morning is a scrimmage involving one of the great-grandsons at 10. The rest of the day will be occupied with outdoor projects such as the aforementioned brush burning. I'll be taping the football game for later.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-06-2021

Good morning all, just about ready to plant my Denny's on my layout, now I find something isn't level. It could be the structure after all that rebuilding, not sure how I'm going to deal with that if that's what it is. But it's my main project for today.

Windows 11 has been released, I went to "update and security" to find a message there saying my computer doesn't comply with the requirements. Apparently, there is a process that needs to be enabled, but can't be if you don't have a particular chip installed. My son Pat tells me you can buy that chip on the Internet. It used to sell for a few bucks, now there seems to be no limit what people are asking. No biggie, I'm doing fine with Windows 10, which incidentally, they said was going to be the last Windows version. I think they forgot they said that a few years ago. Waiting I wouldn't upgrade right now if I could, I hear of lots of problems.

Slept late again, why not, it's Saturday, no appointments, no going out for breakfast, just do what I want when I want to.... I hope you all can do so as well....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-07-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 50 headed for partly cloudy and 69 but kind of breezy with winds near 25 mph at time.

Beautiful day yesterday. Watched a great-grandson play basketball. Then burned some brush. After that I got the leaves cleaned up again. Then took a long bike ride. Got my shower and fixed a nice steak on the grill. Also got my clocks reset last night so everything looked right this morning. Not sure what I'm going to do today other than either a walk or a bike ride.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-07-2021

Good morning all, well, it's closer to noon than morning. Let's just say I had a miserable experience in the ER, left the house around 6:30 last night heading the Urgent Care, they sent me to the ER to get a CAT scan, and didn't get home until 2:30 this morning. People lined up in chairs up and down a hallway waiting to be seen or moved to a room. Lots of moans and groans, (oh wait, that was me) Icon_rolleyes All this and it turned out that it wasn't what they thought, but I had sprained a muscle when I lifted my great-grandson above my head the night before. Still hurts a lot, but I just have to wait and heal. Guess there's some football to watch today, not much else I can do right now. It's good that it wasn't worse, but they're telling me that this is the new normal for emergency care depending on what they think your problems are. I'm just telling you all this because I'm sure it's no different where you are; just controlled chaos....

Hope everyone made it through the time change, we here in Arizona don't adhere to those doings, although I could have used that extra hour of sleep this morning.

Take care, enjoy the rest of the weekend and have a great week....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-08-2021

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 44 in my back yard this morning. The high for today is supposed to be in the upper 50s with light to moderate winds.

Didn't do a lot yesterday other than a bike ride. Probably shouldn't have done that or at least worn a heavier sweatshirt. Got chilled and couldn't get warm. Finally took a hot shower and made some hot chocolate. Today I need to work on leaves again and maybe take another bike ride. Also on tap for today is the arrival of my Athearn Genesis GP-18 with the IC green diamond logo. Looks to be a good day.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-08-2021

Good morning all, just around 60 here right now, heading to the mid-80's today, low 80's for the rest of the week. Welcome to paradise...

Feeling a bit better today, but not going to get much done if I have to do it standing up, which means I may try to build or repair something. Today is clear but the rest  of the week is busy with appointments. Nothing exciting for sure.

Take it easy today, after all, it is Monday and you don't want to overdo it right out of the gate... Nope

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-08-2021

Hello Blue
Sun and 60 today, won't last, winter is coming.
A memorial service on Monday, another on Friday, then in that afternoon we got word that my wife's brother had died. 
He has cheated death for years but didn't make it this time.(85)
A nice football Saturday and even Sunday as the lowly Lions had the week off. I usually can't watch them past the first quarter.
No train news although we do have a club meet on Saturday.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 11-08-2021

hi all . time keeps rolling on were into November already , shees were has the year gone i seem like a cat chasing its own tail work on the layout is going slower that I'd like wife's to do list keeps getting longer .
jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-09-2021

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 38 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. The remainder of the day is supposed to be a little less clear with a high in the mid to upper 50s. Then tomorrow about lunch time the ugly part of fall moves in. Rain wind, and much cooler temperatures with highs by the weekend only in the 30s.

Yesterday was somewhat productive. Got another batch of leaves rounded up and hauled away. Also stopped at Menards and picked up some super glue. I got some last week but it was too runny and kept ruining the plexiglass. This is a gel type and should stay in place better. Also got in another long bike ride. When I got home from that the new GP-18 had arrived. Beautiful engine but I need to weather it to bring out all of the details. The flat black paint scheme really hides them.

This morning I need to make a grocery/Walmart run and round up another herd of leaves. Also on tap for today is the arrival of the new NAS box. That will be followed by several hours of data transfer from the old hard drive to the new one. I've been skipping the gym this week since the weather has been so mild. Only 25 miles to go to hit 1500 miles for the season. A long ride today and a shorter one tomorrow should see me hit that goal.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-09-2021

Good early morning to ya, early for sure, not even 5:00AM yet. Not much going on, I need some wood finish for the Christmas presents that I'm making, want to use spray stain in order to get an even coat and not have the end grain darker than the rest. Cannot find any, I heard that spray cans were in short supply and that's evident if you look at the shelves in the paint dept. Lots of clear spray still available, but that may end when hoarders find that they "need" a dozen cans, "just in case"..... Never know when you might run out of clear gloss poly... Icon_rolleyes Oh, I did find two products on the Walmart website, one was $25, the other $50 a can. Normal pricing is usually $8 or 9. I think that was third-party sellers, typical Internet treatment.

Taking my son over to Del Webb Hospital for a test today. After spending six hours sitting in a hallway in the ER Saturday night, I have a bit of a disdain for that place. I know it's hard for them with a steady flow of patients and not enough staff to deal with them, but regardless, it was not a pleasant experience. The one tech told me that they don't get a break, it's this way all the time now. Once you check in, you cannot just walk out and expect the insurance company to pay the bill. That's the rules....

Take care and have a great day today and stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-09-2021

Good evening everyone. 
We had another beautiful day here in southeast Ohio. I had to take a trip to the local license bureau to get my drivers license renewed and license plates for the car, truck, motor home and utility trailer.  $254 for everything. The vehicles renew every year but the drivers license is good until December, 2025. 

The right hand was swollen today so I had to take some ibprophran  to help reduce the swelling. It's OK tonight. 

Worked on the trains for a short while last night but the hand is not quite ready for tiny detail work.  

We are down to the end of the jobs to do on the motor home.  My son has been going over it . finally found something that he didn't think needed replaced. The rear brakes are good for 20,000 miles he says and with the price of gas that will be a long time coming. He will change the oil and do an alignment and we will call it quits for a while. 

Everyone stay safe and healthy.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 11-09-2021

I was called in because SWMBO couldn't find the Bookmarks tab -- was replaced by something called Apps.
I can't find it either. No idea what happened.
Have to look everything up first.
At least my login still works.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-10-2021

Good morning everyone, it's been really nice here, mid to high 80's for at least another week, then high 70's for a while. Beyond that, I think they're just guessing.

Around here, we take a big hit on vehicle licenses. It's based on the list price of your vehicle when it was born, and for say a $30,000 car, that's around $500 to 600 for the first year (fees plus taxes), then the taxes part gets assessed at around 84% of the previous year after that. Pretty steep I think. As for drivers licenses, you get one for "life", however, if you live beyond 50, you need to renew every five years. Fees depend on your age, but after 50, it is $10 to renew.

Heading to Denny's for breakfast this morning, my go there tomorrow too, giving a free Grand Slam to vets on Veterans Day....

Got my roadbed down, now I'll procrastinate for a while before I get the track laid. Not my favorite part of model railroading, but then, what's a railroad without track? It's called a big diorama.... Waiting

Have a great day folks, stay safe and be happy. Icon_lol

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-10-2021

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 42 outside my window this morning. 52 for a high but conditions will deteriorate by lunch time. Rain, wind, and falling temperatures will move me a little closer to winter. Snow is in the forecast a couple of times over the next few days.

I'm moving ever closer to my goal of 1500 miles. Only 6 to go after yesterday's ride. Also cleaned up another batch of leaves and had a nice chat with the neighbor. Finally have the guest list set for Thanksgiving day - 6 plus myself. Then on the day after some of us will be heading to Sioux Falls for the start of my grandson's final year of hockey. He will be graduating from high school in the spring and has already enlisted in the Army.

Got my new Network Attached Storage box yesterday. Tried to access it using the supplied instructions. My ISP kept blocking me from my local network? Goofy. Finally had to resort to some good old fashioned DOS commands and got everything working, or so I thought. The device show up in Windows explorer but when I try to access it explorer tells me it can't be found. More research today. I bought a 4 TB box but it's configured in RAID 1 which cuts its capacity in half. I'll need to reconfigure to RAID 0 once I can talk to it.

Still waiting for the paper to arrive. Gas price goofy again. $3.29 on Friday. Dropped to #3.24 on Saturday and then to #$3.19 on Sunday. Monday down to $3.14. Yesterday it jumped to $3.29 for a while then mysteriously dropped to $3.09 by mid day. Go figure.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-11-2021

Good morning all, up really early today, it's Veterans Day and we've decided to go to Denny's when they open. Free Grand Slams to all vets and service people from 5 to noon. We're normally there before 6 anyway, so we just want to beat the crowd. Looks like IHOP is doing the same starting at 7:00, Golden Corral is giving a free dinner to vets as well today, really don't think that I want to hit that one, I can just see a line clear into the parking lot for most of these, if so, we'll head to Brenda's, nothing free, but no crowds either...

Am heading to Mo Money Pawn Shop today. They just opened their new store and are giving a $25 discount to any current customer that spends $75, and my shooting buddy says they have lots of ammo and no limits.....

Not much else going on, been taking it real easy the past few days, I really did  a number on my side picking up my great-grandson the way I did. From now on, it's, "just sit on my lap little buddy"....

Uh, gas jumps here in leaps and bounds, the norm is now $3.69, and goes up ten cents every few days.

Take care, have a fine day today....