The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-05-2022

Good morning
        We have a beautiful day once again with highs in the 70's predicted. It was near 80 degrees yesterday. 

I ran the mower over the leaves in the front yard to mulch them up. I will use the lawn sweeoer today to gather them for the garden. I will till them in next week 

I ordered new phones for us yesterday. I don't use mine much but my wife does and with our current service, which is a great company, but we have no service here even with an outdoor antenna installed. 

I may work on trains this evening. 

I saw diesel over 6 bucks yesterday yet as I watched the news this morning they were telling about all the job growth and how sales have increased.  Now if sales are up 8%, and inflation is 8.2% are sales really up?  And now with Thanksgiving coming the turkey flocks have been destroyed by the bird flu.  We are having ham cooked in root beer in the crock pot.  I also saw where over 9 million dollars worth of meat has been stollen from packing plants. At todays inflation that amount could almost fit in an employees lunch box  Goldth

Have a good day folks and I know I shouldn't watch the news. Wink

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-05-2022

Hello Blue
Just checking in.
We have clouds & sun, expecting rain and Hi winds later today. 64 now 70 later.
Tiss a Buckeye football day at noon. 
Gas went from $3.89 to $4.29 overnight. We will all pay for the high price of diesel when we go shopping.
Did you guys see the accident at Strasburg? Fault can easily go to several employees.
Has the rain out west helped the low water situation, maybe even a little?
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-06-2022

Good morning all, still a bit chilly this morning, low 50's, expect high 70's today, 80 by tomorrow. Suppose to rain this week, no clue when, neither does the weather guessers.... Every forecast is different.

Watched a bit of football yesterday, just couldn't get into any game. Arizona State was ahead when I went to sleep, but apparently UCLA won.

Just going to take it easy today, more football, nothing to build and I'm not in good enough shape to work on my layout, so I guess it's more football.For us old folk, fix one problem and a new one pops up.

No SJ, not enough rain to do anything but hold our own. They keep talking about water allotments and stuff, but we here get most of our water from the water table, which by now should also be low. Lake Mead is down almost 200', but they have found six bodies so far, some may be missing swimmers, others are pretty obvious. And yeah, I did see video of that crash in Strasburg, gotta be human error, somebody didn't throw the switch.

Take care, enjoy what's left of the weekend, stay safe and stay out of the snow if you have any.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-06-2022

Good morning
       We had a high of 79 yesterday and at 07:30 it way 67 degrees. 

The incident at Strasburg shows how important it is to be alert. From what I read the train crew was paying more attention to the cameras than they were to the track. The M&W did not alline the switch as required but final responsibility lays with the train crew.  

I had a dead spot in a switch that I repaired yesterday and replace the couples on a new old 50 foot Athearn box car and used the axle tuner on it. I have many more to do but they are not a problem. 

We are back to having the darkness arrive in the middle of the afternoon for a couple months so I need to readjust my body schedule. 

Have a great day everyone. 
        Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 11-06-2022

Don thanks for the reply. I know one or two storms won't fill anything but I did hope it would help some.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-07-2022

Good morning everyone, temps back to 80 today and tomorrow, but down around 70 by Wednesday with a chance of rain. Speaking of back down, Costco and Sam's Club both dropped back down to $4.09 for regular gas, many stations now at $4.39. Bouncy, bouncy, you can get seasick watching the gas prices. Walmart and several other big box stores are dropping their prices on holiday food items. I saw Butterball turkeys at $1.19 a pound, down from $1.68. Other brands were down to 98¢ a pound. Cranberry sauce down 20¢ to $1.79. It wasn't too many years ago that turkeys were 39¢ and Cranberry sauce was three cans for $1.00. Talk about inflation.... Waiting

I did pick up some ammo at Walmart, no more lines or rationing, there hasn't been much of that for the past year, but I did have a choice of about four brands of .22LR, and that is a change, plus the prices were reasonable.

Tomorrow is election day, whoopee, no more negative ads for at least two months, remember, there's another election coming up in 2024, so candidates will want to get their digs in early.

Ya all have a great day, stay warm and stay dry.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-07-2022

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 29 at the moment headed for sunny and maybe 50 later on.

Yesterday was pretty quiet for me. In the morning I tended to my wife and son's graves. I like to do it early in the morning as there is a restaurant directly across the street and I prefer to perform that task privately. Also I have to do it on the weekend as my next door neighbor is the head groundskeeper for the cemetery and I don't want him to feel like he's not doing his job.

Not much planned for today. Probably the gym this morning and look into possibly renting a SUV to take some stuff to my son in Texas.

Gas was down to $3.62 yesterday.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 11-07-2022

Good morning, folks

It is weird weather Monday here in Juvember. Temperature is 68 degrees and going up to 75 degrees. The weekend was pretty much the same.

We started raking some leaves. I got one corner done before my back started. My daughter helped and bagged a couple of bags. I pulled the filter out of the fishpond and sunk the water lilies. It is now ready for the netting to be place over it. Inside we began the slow process of taking down the Halloween decorations. I still have a couple of bins to bring up from the basement. I threw a couple of loads of wash in the machines.

I finally finished a MKT Roundhouse 50 FT wood express reefer kit I have been working on. The last thing I had to do was replace the trucks. This was an older kit that I got for a few bucks on that auction site and the trucks that came with it snapped in half when I tried to replace the plastic wheels. Took me awhile to find my stash of extra Roundhouse express trucks. I ran some trains. I unboxed and ran my new Rapido Amtrak “First Day” E8. It is a very some runner. It handled seven Walters Mainline Budd Amtrak Phase 1 cars I got new over the last few months. I am hoping to record a video in the next couple of days.

I need to get gas on the way home from work and make a pharmacy run. Later it will be installing a replacement toilet seat and Halloween decorations.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - TMo - 11-07-2022

Juvember here in Maryland as well. A bunch of us play a golf event on Veteran's Day since we're all gov't employees and have the day off anyway. Sometimes the weather is nice, and then there are the other days. This week is all beautiful UNTIL Friday when moisture from the gulf is due to hit a cold front. I'm the organizer and have to make the decision to play or not. A roll of the dice.

Every Monday I roll into the office and decrement my counters of days until I'm retirement eligible and the counter when I hit 65 (that's my personal limit). 103 days on the retirement eligibility date (or what I refer to as the FU or KMA date). Pretty good feeling that I'm almost in double digits.

My wife is in Hawaii for two weeks, so it's me and the dog. She left me a pretty easy list, so I stand a decent chance of getting some model railroading accomplished. Joined a couple of small pieces of plywood together - they'll be supporting the portion of the Lehigh River near Mud Run. Tomorrow I should be able to cut out the edge profile and start the supporting structure of the riverbanks.

No more baseball to glue me to the boob tube. My Phillies had a great run, just ran out of luck and clutch hitting at the wrong time.

Figured out I had the wrong snowplow for my SD45 - actually need one without the MU pockets. Ordered one (another Details West item) from Midwest Model Railroad - they have a nice site and somewhat reasonable shipping charges. If anyone needs an HO PL-256 snowplow, I have one you can buy for a couple of bucks. There's always ebay for resale if I get around to it.

Also bought another camera on ebay last night. My Nikon point-and-shoot fell off my desk into a container of water. I wanted something better anyway - got a cheap Nikon L105. It's only a 12 Mp sensor but seems to have some nice features.

Night all. May all of your switches be aligned. I'm about an hour from Strasburg but have never been to the museum across the street - on the bucket list.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 11-08-2022

Happy (or not) Election Day, gang.

38 and cloudy at the moment. Supposed to get to the upper 50s with a slight chance of rain. Temperatures and chances for rain increase through Thursday when the bottom falls out. Friday through Monday the temperatures are not predicted to be above freeing. Brrr!

Lots of visual encouragement at the gym yesterday. Grocery and other shopping this morning.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-08-2022

Good morning folks,

HOT off the press, the voting polls have been open now for 24 minutes, we've done an exit poll and so far there are 42 votes for "Smith", 23 for "Jones", 2 for "Green", with 2,953,144 votes to go. So based on that, we're declaring "Green" the winner in this tight race. Yes, "Green" had outspent their rivals by 100 million with some of the nastiest commercials, but that's why we get those big bucks to make these predictions. Oh yeah, and there's a 50% chance of rain today with a bit of overcast (I'm also the weathercaster on this channel, so stay tuned) Icon_rolleyes 

Yeah, that's what you can expect today on TV along with a few more nasty ads that candidates forgot to cancel.

Went shooting yesterday, really nice weather, took our jackets off around 10 o'clock. Had a problem with my new gun, need to contact the manufacturer and get it fixed. But regardless, we had a great time.

No change in temps today, gas is down a few pennies at some stations, I see one station at $3.99 and one at $5.09 at different ends of the valley. The rest are anywhere in between.

Have a nice day and do get out and vote regardless of what those pollsters say, your vote does count.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-08-2022

Hi gang
      Its sunny but cool here in southeast Ohio 

I bagged the leaves in the back yard (fenced dog play area which is about a quarter acre) then I sprayed it one final time for fleas and ticks. It was a bad year for them and the collars and the Advantage wasn't doing the job. I think we have them under control now. 

I stripped the paint from some ore cars yesterday and they are ready for repaint. I ordered decals from K4 decals in Ohio. He has a nice selection and a great price. 

I cleaned the sprayer and it is drying out in the sun. Ill put it away in a while. 

I awoke to see a portion of the eclipse, actually I was up to potty so I did watch it for a minute and went back to bed. I think watching a lunar eclipse is as exciting as watching antique tractor pulls (unless they are steam powered). 

Fedex is playing with another package, this time they claim to have replaced an illegible label twice. I guess they can't put labels on any better than the shipper did.  Icon_lol. 8 days so far for a 3 day shipping item. I know help is hard to find but I will say our regular drivers for all services are great. 

Have a great evening 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 11-09-2022

Good morning all, election day is behind us, or is it? Still so many races too close to call, here they had much trouble with machines not working and long lines, some folks waiting two hours to vote. Why not do 100% mail-in? Then count the ballots as the come in so on election day they have the final results. I mailed mine several weeks ago.

Charlie, you hassle with FedEx made me think, it seems as if scammers have gotten one of my email addresses. I've gotten some, "Package delivery" scams from FedEx and UPS. "we have a package to deliver and need to verify your address", there's no package, just want some data from me.  I also keep getting email for surveys with $100 gift cards as a reward. The past few weeks I've gotten them from FedEX, UPS, Walmart and other big box stores, yesterday one came from the Post Office. Then there's been the, "We are charging your credit card $99.99 for a subscription. Please click below if you want to cancel". Which credit card to what subscription, they don't say.... I play with scammers when they call my home phone, but email scammers are too dangerous to do that with, so I just click on "junk" and move on. The telling giveaway is looking at the email addresses, usually something like, "fedex.ioma432ljh32@83427jsgy.ru", but only when you hover over the "fedex.com".

That about it, today I'm going to stop by Brenda's house. She had lots of antiques on the walls when she sold the restaurant, she changed then with whatever holiday was coming up. Well, her husband said that she took most of them with her and what she couldn't put on the walls of their house, she is having a yard sale for today.

Ya all have a great day, I hope your candidate won, just as long as it's the same one I voted for...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 11-09-2022

Good morning, folks

It is quite chilly this morning at 42. However, when I was out at the job site a little over an hour ago the car thermometer said it was 37. They say the high will be 55.

I saw a spine surgeon yesterday and he is sending me to an injectionist to discuss getting an injection in back to help with the pain. He still wants me to do physical therapy but understands right now with the pain I cannot tolerate much, thus the reason to the injectionist.

Due to the township being off for Election Day and Veterans Day this week I had to put our trash out last night. Our usual pick up is recyclables on Wednesday and trash on Friday. This week there no recyclables. I moved around some laundry, and we began collecting the Halloween decorations in one location so we can put them away in their proper bins.

I ran my Amtrak “Frist Day” E8 with seven Walthers Mainline cars. I ran the train for a good hour. I also tried out my new photo lights and took some video and photos. Funny thing I had no problems with the train until near the end of the run and slowed the train down and then a car split a switch. Two different cars on two different switches. Running at 15 to 20 on the controller fine. Slow down to 5 or 7 problems.

Tonight, is work on the Halloween decorations and begin moving the potted plants indoors for the winter. I hope to run some more trains and experiment with the lights some more.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 11-09-2022

Good afternoon. 
        We got our new phones yesterday and we now have excellent service at home. I am ditching the Straight talk land line. It worked fine until they started going to 5g. I wanted to use the home phone number on my cell but all I got was grief and aggravation. I try to do everything I can with online typed chat because the folks on the other end do not speak the same English that I understand and usually the phones they have are a step lower in quality than the ones we played with as kids. All I needed was the account number and a pin but we had to go through the verification BS of a text message and a phone call. The text was ok but the call was not at all understandable. I got back to the rep and just frankly told them that making things hard to quit would not work with me because I use a virtual credit card that can be canceled (which I did) so no more auto pay. 

We were using US Mobile for our cell phones but even though we got a good connection most places (they use verizon towers) we had no service at home. I had called many times and tech support had me download an app but nothing worked. I asked if they could change my service to another one of their partners but I was told nothing was available to do that. Lo and behold when I called to port my number they kept trying to keep me, and offered to switch my service to the T-mobile tower (which I can see and is 8/10 of a mile away. I finally told them just give me the needed account number and pin and then I was told I wasn't logged in to my account so they would have to have me log in.  I played their silly game because I wanted to keep our numbers but had to go through with a sales pitch the second time. I had to get a bit testy but the rep finally gave me what I needed and we are up and running and the service and the new phones are so good I might even use mine. We went with T-mobile and got a very reasonable plan with unlimited everything so the landline will soon be a memory. 

I need more rest today than I would have needed had I run a marathon. 

Getting packed for a couple days visit to Wayne and Ed. It has been a long time. I hope the weather holds.

G'day
        Charlie