The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-07-2021

Good morning. I have the same temperature as Tom, without the minus in front. It's still cold, but 18 below is ridiculous.  I remember a cols day in January 1963 when I was in tech school in Chicago walking Belmont Ave. The temperature was 22 below and the wind was 40 MPH. I was young and dressed warm, but I never want to see that again. We came close in 1977, but I was always inside or in a warm truck. 

I made some more headway on those locomotive pictures but it looks like 3 or 4 more days to finish. It is a worthwhile project and it keeps me out of the bars and keeps the wild women away.  Icon_e_biggrin 

The new furkid is a prankster. He is only 14 months old and loves to play. He will take my wife's "decoratin" items outside and hide them. (small pillows, covers, nick knacks) she scolds him, but I think she loves the game too. It is a real challenge to have a Border Collie after so many Samoyeds. Bonnie, our senior Samoyed has really gotten more active since Clyde came on the scene.  

I actually have a paper to read this morning, It's yesterdays, but I still have a paper to read. 

Don, my daughter was telling me one of the Pizza chains is printing targets on the bottom of their boxes.  that is good and bad. I hope the users take them and dispose of them properly. 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-07-2021

37 and light rain.  Sausage biscuits, eggs and GRITS.  [Wifey cooked]  No Super Bowl for us.  Use to go out to eat as no one in restaurants.  Seems more and more join us.  Not this year as virus thingy.

Slept late and enjoyed the ZZZZzzz.

Menards Church coming Tues. [the say]  About all the buildings I can get on layout.  Lots of track.  Next, kitbash some buildings.  Got some Lionel grain elevators and coaling stations kits.  Think I can put them together and make one big building out of each.  They will fit where I have single buildings already.

Have a great and safe week ahead.  Hope all keep power during the winter storm up north.  

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-07-2021

Hello Blue
Sun, a dash of new snow and 10 degrees.
NO Grits here. A fried egg & bologna sandwich for me this morning.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-07-2021

(02-07-2021, 08:39 AM)Charlie B Wrote: ...Don, my daughter was telling me one of the Pizza chains is printing targets on the bottom of their boxes.  that is good and bad. I hope the users take them and dispose of them properly. 
Charlie

That's a fine idea if, as you say, they get disposed of afterwards. I might even start buying pizza there just for the targets. Too many casual shooters leave their trash behind. When we went Friday, there was a chair and table left, some empty beer cases, along with some old tires and other things that people used for targets but were too lazy to take back when they left. There are also those that come there specifically to dump their trash, mostly building material, tree trimmings and old tires that they don't want to pay to put into the landfill. Waiting

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-07-2021

(02-07-2021, 10:11 AM)ezdays Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 08:39 AM)Charlie B Wrote: ...Don, my daughter was telling me one of the Pizza chains is printing targets on the bottom of their boxes.  that is good and bad. I hope the users take them and dispose of them properly. 
Charlie

That's a fine idea if, as you say, they get disposed of afterwards. I might even start buying pizza there just for the targets. Too many casual shooters leave their trash behind. When we went Friday, there was a chair and table left, some empty beer cases, along with some old tires and other things  that people used for targets but were too lazy to take back when they left. There are also those that come there specifically to dump their trash, mostly building material, tree trimmings and old tires that they don't want to pay to put into the landfill. Waiting

Tires are a real pet peeve of mine. I know it was an attempt to help the environment but there was no forethought put into it. We used to treat old tires just like any thing else and they went to the landfill. In order to save landfill space this was outlawed so there have been many schemes hatched to dispose of all the tires that were to be recycled. What happened at first it seemed, was they would fill a truck bed and drive down some back country road while a guy in the back would roll off the tires letting the taxpayer foot the bill for clean up. That still goes on.  
When I was working the railroad in Schenley there were 3 old buildings full of tires that the manager had "disposed" of.  A very successful fire of undetermined origin eliminated the problem for one building.  Next scheme a fellow was going to bale them and surround them in concrete to repair levies. This was approved by the Corpse of Engineers and going to go, but he started to bale the tires too soon and the EPA would not issue the permit. Finally the state paid to have them baled and removed. 
Along the tracks in Bagdad there were tires piled that had been collected (charging a $2 fee) and disposed of on the old mine property.     
The photo only shows about 10% of them, they were on both sides of the track for a half mile. (The state paid to clean that up too) 

Another scam was to rent barns and warehouses, fill them with tires and then just disappear.  
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-07-2021

Tires are difficult to recycle, some can be retread, others ground up and made part of new roadbed, those that collect a "disposal fee", and then just dump them should be hung in the public square. Our deserts aren't miles of barren sand, but lots of trees, bushes and brush, enough to hide a truck dumping whatever garbage the don't want to pay to bring to the landfill or recycle centers. But on top of that, we have those dodo-heads that bring stuff out as targets and drive away leaving it for the decent shooters to cart away for them. Between them both, they wind up trashing an area so bad that it eventually gets posted, "NO SHOOTING"....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-08-2021

Greetings, gang.

Not nearly as cold this morning - only -13. High for today is supposed to be around +4.

Yesterday was another in a long string of nothing done. I've been watching movies and reading and that pretty much covers today's activities as well. High point for today will be a trip to the gym. I did try to watch the game yesterday but it seemed like there was a commercial after every play so I gave up on that.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 02-08-2021

Good morning. +8 degrees heading for 29.
      I managed to install a sound decoder in one of my F7b units yesterday. It already had the motor light decoder in it so all I had to hook up were 2 wires going to track power. normally a 5 minute job but I didn't have the right feeling in my fingers so it took almost 15 minutes to attach 2 wires.  I think it was a little bit of a reaction to the covid shot.  I was up at 5 this morning and I think I will be going back for a nap soon. 
A couple inches of snow tonight (maybe) 
Cheers
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-08-2021

Good morning all, start of another workweek for lots of folks, just another day for us that just rely on the government to keep us going.  Temps are still mild, my cheap outdoor thermometer and the one in my truck are within a few degrees of what the soothsayers have on their forecasts, and that's kind of scary... Eek 

Not much planned for this week, guess I'll have more time for my layout. Got my kits from Walthers, got one project that I'm hoping I can use one of them to get it done. My last attempt at scratchbuilding didn't work out as well as I wanted, so I move on.... Icon_e_biggrin

Have a great week.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-08-2021

Morning. Chilly but the sun is warming us fast. got to drive Miss Daisy to get pinestraw and check for new gardening/home magazines at Sam's Club. Got to go to UPS store and drop off some shipments. Maybe buy a new weather station.

Ran new layout breaker circuits for a new Menards building.  Extended a storage track to accommodate the aux tender for the N&W J.  

Seems vaccine doses increasing here. Got word several are getting notices to get their first shots. 

Hope all in the cold and snow are OK. Stay warm.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-08-2021

Good afternoon folks

It has warmed up to 30 from the 16 it was at 7 AM when I was up feeding the cats ad dog. According to the overpaid weather guessers we reach the high for today.

Been a rough one. The wife had severe pain on her right side. It kept her up most of the night. She was not sure if she strained something when she was exercising or if her kidney stones were acting up. We went to urgent care this morning and they determined it was a strained muscle. She got a script for some pain meds and is feeling better now.

I had a good weekend. Demolished almost half of the layout. Saved the Grain elevator but could not save the track. I hope to finish this half for demo tonight. I will then start on adding the wood to add the expanded width.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-09-2021

And a very good morning t' y'all. Still some decent temps, 50's in the AM, 70's later on. Got rain starting Friday though next week. So far I've been able to control the weeds, but I have to be careful, the last time, there were four little ones that I couldn't get to and they cost me a $75 HOA fine. Just too many folks take their positions on the HOA boards as being members of royalty. At my old neighborhood, they're circulating a petition to oust the current board because of nonsense like this.

They say they're trying to get as many folks vaccinated as possible, yet, the system is so screwed up here that some that made appointments are being turned away because they didn't bring an "official" confirmation printout with the QR code on it. Others are complaining because they have no computers and the only way to get an appointment with the county now is through their, not so user-friendly, website. Some locations are taking 65 and older, others say 75. The county says that they're working on solutions, but yet it's difficult at best, and you stand a chance of being turned away even when you think you're successful.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-09-2021

Happy National Pizza Day, gang.

Sunny and -20 at the moment with a predicted high of +9. There's also a chance of light sow this evening.

Very quiet day yesterday. Went to the gym and didn't feel like either working out or swimming. Just walked for 3 miles. Did some checking on the local vaccine situation. The county is getting 400 doses and are making them available on a first come first serve basis. A phone number and website will become live at 1 PM tomorrow (Wed.) until all the doses are spoken for. In other news I got an e-mail reply from my lawyer. The administrator affidavit will be available today. I will supposedly get a call from his administrative assistant with final details sometime today. Then I can move forward on taking control of my son's financial resources. Also found his prior year income tax so I can start working on that also.

Gas prices dropped a nickel on Friday and jumped a dime yesterday. Up to $2.34.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-09-2021

Good morning folks

It is 30 heading to 38. Weather people have me confused. One says we could get 1 to 3 inches of snow. Another says a winter mix. Then there is the guy who says freezing rain. Looking at the radar, there is rain to the southeast down near the Jersey Shore, and snow in the far northwest. We have not seen anything as far as I can tell.

Finished removing the last of the foam off the first table. I need to move the table base as the piece of wood is shorter than I thought, and I would have too much overhang on one end. I plan on laying down a piece of foam and placing the outer track curve to make sure there is enough room. Once I am happy with that I will begin cutting wood for the extension.

I need to run to PetSmart to get prescription dog food.

Wife is doing better. She slept better but still did not have a good night’s sleep. She is having less pain.

Wife is waiting to hear when she can schedule her vaccination. She and my daughter are both in the group for educators, but my wife is also a person with underlying conditions. She gets emails for the county saying soon they will open scheduling for her. One of the county’s mega sites had to close yesterday due to running out of vaccines.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-09-2021

Hello Blue
We have sun and 14 degrees. 
With the cold weather and the virus we only go places when we need to.
S.J.