The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-17-2024

Good morning 
       It is 60 below the temperature I would like to feel right now at 13°.  I had a dentist appointment but I cancelled until it warms a bit. 

I am still working on all of my scanned photos from my mother's albums. I am identifying everyone and adding captions so future generations can make sense of them.  Mom  and Grandpa are not much help identifying people, even harder if you are working with photos other than family.  Icon_e_biggrin

Tom,  can you be reimbursed for your car rental if you car is not save to drive? Maybe your car insurance would cover the rental if not. I find it ridiculous that the cost of a rental when a car is not safe to drive is not a law. Some recalls are not urgent as others but if there is a danger you should be reimbursed and in your case being stranded is probable cause not to drive. 

Inside work will on the agenda for today, everyone else stay home  if you can, and stay safe if you can't.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-17-2024

Charlie, you have a good point there. I would also talk to the dealer and see if they wouldn't provide a loaner car. It gives them incentive to do the repairs quickly. I too have a recall coming up, but doing a Google search, the notices won't go out until Feb. 4. My truck can stall without warning due to a faulty fuel pump, and has done so probably four times in the past two years, but I was stopped when it did it.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 01-17-2024

Afternoon Everyone, The temps are in the low teens with the windchill it's making it feel like it's below zero. Not to much going on today other than having to run to the store to get a few things. They are calling for an additional 2-6 inches of snow thursday night into friday. Then next week temps are supposed to get up into the 40s and 50s, so that means a good amount of the snow will melt yet again.

Charlie I agree with Don. Usually if you say about a loaner they get the lead out of their rear ends and get the repairs done in a timely manner. We had a recall on the wiper motor for our equinox we had and it took them a few months to send out the notice ( after we researched it ) that the ball joint that had the shaft connected to it for the left wiper would randomly just break. I had to fix it about four times before we got the notice in the mail. They wanted to keep the car for the day and was going to leave us without a vehicle. Needless to say I argued with them and it took all of ten minutes to fix. Hope it all works out for you in the end.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-17-2024

Don
I remember when coffee in Toronto went from .10 to .15, back in my early days working. There was a tremendous protest and the price dropped back to .12.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-17-2024

(01-17-2024, 08:11 PM)BR60103 Wrote: Don
I remember when coffee in Toronto went from .10 to .15, back in my early days working.  There was a tremendous protest and the price dropped back to .12.

OMG our age is showing.....I remember my mother saying she would quit drinking coffee if it went to a dollar a pound in the 50's when something ws going on with the coffee bean crop (I think)  Heck I remember getting a quart of milk and a loaf of bred and a huge Nickle candy bar for a quarter and 2 cents change back.  I also remember 10 cent donuts and cigarettes at 17 cents a pack.  I remember vending machine cigarettes with pennies inside the celephane to make the 4 cent change for a quarter.   And even at these prices they were outrageous.

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-18-2024

Good morning, good morning... yeah, I remember those days too. I was upset when the vending machine at work went up to 35 cents a pack, and quit smoking shortly after. It was tough back then since a lot of folks smoked in the office and meetings. Now they rate me as a "former smoker", even though it's been 57 years since I quit. Notice too, when packaged coffee goes up due to some crises, so does the prices at restaurants, but when it goes back down, the restaurants keep it up since we've become use to it.

We should be in the mid-70's for the next few days, then rain starting Sunday will cool us back down, just in time for all the auto auctions to start although the big one is indoors and the rest are in tents. Still, it's colder than normal, following a summer that was hotter than normal.

Did go to Sofie's yesterday, never again on Wednesday. The place is small and after two small groups came in, the noise level went up, then another group of 14 men sat down, and you couldn't hear yourself think. I doubt that my breakfast buddy would want to go back on any day.

Take care, have a great day, rain, snow, sunshine, it doesn't matter, we are here to enjoy it, and that's the main thing.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-18-2024

Greetings, gang.

18 and cloudy.  Snow supposed to start after lunch.  1-3 inches followed by dropping temperatures and high winds.  Could be really nasty.

Thanks everyone for the info.  The recall is not completed yet as no solution has been found (read - it's too expensive to fix).  Below is a copy and paste from Acura's website:

SUMMARY:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain 2015-20 model year TLX and 2016-20 model year MDX vehicles. Due to a manufacturing defect of the engine crankshaft, the connecting rod bearing can prematurely wear and seize.
SAFETY RISK:

If the connecting rod bearing seizes, the engine can be damaged and run improperly, stall, stop while driving, and/or not start, increasing the risk of a fire, crash or injury.
REMEDY:

Registered owners of all affected vehicles will be contacted by mail and asked to take their vehicle to an authorized Acura dealer, as applicable. The dealer will inspect and, if necessary, repair or replace the engine. Owners who have paid to have these repairs completed at their own expense will be eligible for reimbursement, in accord with the recall reimbursement plan on file with NHTSA. For additional questions, owners may contact American Honda's Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138.

At this point they apparently don't consider it dangerous as the vehicle can be pulled over even if the engine stops.  My concern is that it could stop in the middle of nowhere leaving me stranded in an empty cornfield in the middle of a snow storm.  I'm just being cautious.

Gas was goofy again yesterday.  ON the way to the gym it was $2.64.  An hour later on the way home it was $2.79

All stay saf.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-19-2024

Good morning all, nice day yesterday, 76 for a high, 74 in the forecast for today. Sunday is another story, temps in the high 50's and rain.

Tom, Honda isn't very prompt about sending out recall notices. I read about mine a few weeks ago and they still aren't notifying us until next month. Mine isn't as drastic as yours, but I have had several stalls and need the recall. Good luck.

Gas pricing is crazy, both Costco and Sam's went up six cents, others down ten cents. Doesn't really matter when we think about what we were paying a year ago.

I finished my wooden machine gun, and it works, it shoots as many rubber bands as you have loaded and does it in the full-auto mode. I'll take more photos today and post them in my build thread.

Take care, I hope you all have decent weather to contend with, we have lots of activities coming up here, car auctions, horse auctions, golf tournaments, baseball spring training, just to name a few, so the weather had better be good for all those folks.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-19-2024

Hello Blue.
It is snowing. Temp is 20 and that's where it will stay. We haven't gone anywhere so I have been starting the car each day. Several days this week the hi was below 10. Our club house will be open tonight but the weather is so crappy, I'm staying in.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-20-2024

And a great weekend morning to ya, still chilly mornings (high 40's), got to 77 yesterday, but still looking at around 60 tomorrow with rain. So glad that most paid weather guessers are on the same track although their numbers are always different, so I just kind of average them out.

Yup, gas pricing is screwy for sure, some stations going up, others down. Costco now down to $2.82.  The lowest price in Arizona is $2.59 down in Eloy.

Enjoy the weekend. I, of course, took the opportunity to sleep in, really, I get along quite well for as old as I am, but need to do things slow and easy.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-20-2024

Good afternoon
     I slept way too late this morning. I was up too late last night working on a blue box caboose. I can put the finishing touches on it today.

My "a" on the lap top requires more pressure than the other keys so I am constantly spelling words and leaving out the a and then I have to go back and repair if I remember to do it.  being an Englishman if it was the "H" I could leave it out.  Icon_e_biggrin

Nothing new to report.  Still white stuff on the ground and still too cold.
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 01-20-2024

Charlie:
The period . on my laptop hs become unreliable. Big problem entering internet addresses.
and in this post, it worked perfectly.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-21-2024

Good morning, expecting rain around 8:30 this morning, right now it's 52 and not going to get past 60 today. Lots of snow up north which always brings chilly weather down into the desert areas.

I have keyboard issues too, I frequently get extra letters, especially "a", press a and get aa. Bought a new keyboard, same issue. Been on the Internet and can't find a solution that works. I brought the new keyboard back, it was flat, like a laptop and I don't like that, I could not find one that was stepped like a typewriter. I'm sure there are some out there but my keyboard isn't the problem.

Y'all have a great weekend given the weather most of us are dealing with, staying home is the best plan...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-22-2024

Good morning folks

It is a whole 19 at the moment. Our high is supposed to be 33. The water pipes to our trailer have been frozen since last Wednesday but we have heat. The contractor’s trailer has water but their heat is broken.

It was a productive weekend despite the 4 or 5 inches of snow. My kids shoveled this time around so I did not have to stress out my hip. My wife and daughter went to an English High Tea on Saturday and I went to the hobby shop in Claymont, DE. I picked up some more Rapido F30G TOFC flat cars, a Rapido NE Caboose for Western Maryland, and a couple of Roundhouse (Athearn) tank cars. Sunday was a lazy day that we put away some more Christmas decorations. Over the weekend I finished adding the window interiors on the Ashmore Hotel. I also assembled the four walls, the main roof, and the top floor. I installed one awning and have another one to do. I have the top floor roof and some details to do, and it is finished. I discovered I need some silver paint for the vents. There was more laundry to do.

Today I hope to finish the Ashmore Hotel. There are Christmas decorations bins to put away and laundry to do.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-22-2024

Greetings, gang.

25 now going above freezing later on. It will be the first time above freezing since Jan. 9th. Daytime highs fro the next several days are predicted to be similar.

Very quiet weekend around here. This morning I need to do some shopping and this afternoon should find me at the gym.

All stay safe.

Tom