The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 01-26-2024

Good Afternoon Everyone, Well mother nature is at it. It is in the 60s here today and the snow is melting at a rapid pace. That is to all change this weekend though as they are calling for another storm to bring more snow. It sure did feel like spring today.

I got a package in the mail today from tichy train group and they are HO Scale handcar and pushcar for the MOW crew. According to the box I can build 6 handcars or 6 pushcars. I probably will build 2 or 3 handcars and the rest will be pushcar. I am also on the search for a decently priced speeder. I've only been able through my research, was only able to find one speeder for the C&I. So this weekend will be a quiet one sitting at home and building.

Have a Safe & Wonderful Weekend All.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-27-2024

Greetings, gang.

32 and still foggy. Been this way since Wednesday with visibility down to as low as a block or two at tines. Supposed to start clearing off tomorrow. NWS talking upper 40s by the end of next week.

Very quiet around here. I do need to stop at the grocery store for milk and bread. Laundry today but I have the washer and dryer in stealth mode so as not to wake Don.

I've been dealing with an intestinal issue recently. While talking with one of my daughters yesterday she asked how I was doing. I told here that I had been doing better lately but had a flare up just the day before. Without thinking she said "Well, crap!" Needless to say a GREAT deal of laughter ensued!

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-27-2024

Good morning

It looks like another dreary day in store in south east Ohio. It's 42°  with clouds and the dogs are confined to the side yard because of mud in the back yard. 

I saw gas yesterday at $2.893.  Yes, a 3 instead of a 9. It got my attention, but I had a full tank. 

It was warm enough that I could airbrush some clear on a sheet of decals I have made for some hopper cars. I am going to letter some for Rosebud Mining, the company that I worked for the last 5 years before retiring. They bought the railroad and it was a great thing to work for such a nice man.     

I built a couple 2 bay covered hoppers last night to round out the evening. I may build a few more today. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend followed by a great year.

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 01-27-2024

(01-27-2024, 07:35 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Good morning

It looks like another dreary day in store in south east Ohio. It's 42°  with clouds and the dogs are confined to the side yard because of mud in the back yard. 

I saw gas yesterday at $2.893.  Yes, a 3 instead of a 9. It got my attention, but I had a full tank. 

It was warm enough that I could airbrush some clear on a sheet of decals I have made for some hopper cars. I am going to letter some for Rosebud Mining, the company that I worked for the last 5 years before retiring. They bought the railroad and it was a great thing to work for such a nice man. 

I built a couple 2 bay covered hoppers last night to round out the evening. I may build a few more today. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend followed by a great year.

Charlie

you worked for a mine was it underground?
jim

Hi all. been some time since i poster but the status quo is the same been working on buildings for Ludlow just finished TG&Y, added a run passing track to layout, we did get a lot of rain from last storm about 1 inch but it was mostly a gentle rain and soaked in good.
stay safe warm and dry Jim.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-27-2024

(01-27-2024, 10:14 AM)jim currie Wrote: [you worked for a mine was it underground?

jim
[/quote]
Jim   I worked for the owner of the mining company after he bought the railroad.  I could never work in a mine, heck Cliff gave us a calendar with pictures of miners underground and I couldn't even look at the photos so the calendar was hid away.  My grandfather left the UK in 1918. He was a coal miner and swore he would never enter another one.  Icon_e_biggrin   to  say I am claustrophobic would really be an understatement. Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-27-2024

(01-27-2024, 01:03 PM)Charlie B Wrote: Jim   I worked for the owner of the mining company after he bought the railroad.  I could never work in a mine, heck Cliff gave us a calendar with pictures of miners underground and I couldn't even look at the photos so the calendar was hid away.  My grandfather left the UK in 1918. He was a coal miner and swore he would never enter another one.  Icon_e_biggrin   to  say I am claustrophobic would really be an understatement. Charlie

My mother was brought up in a mining town in PA. I was very young when we went to visit my grandmother. There was a man there that never came over to talk to us, I thought it was my grandfather and it was rather strange, but later found that it was her third husband. Miners don't last long doing what they do where they do it, especially back then.

(01-27-2024, 01:03 PM)Charlie B Wrote:
(01-27-2024, 10:14 AM)jim currie Wrote: [you worked for a mine was it underground?

jim
Jim   I worked for the owner of the mining company after he bought the railroad.  I could never work in a mine, heck Cliff gave us a calendar with pictures of miners underground and I couldn't even look at the photos so the calendar was hid away.  My grandfather left the UK in 1918. He was a coal miner and swore he would never enter another one.  Icon_e_biggrin   to  say I am claustrophobic would really be an understatement. Charlie
[/quote]

the mine i worked at the height of employee's that were underground  miners the number was 450 of that we had three claustrophobic that couldn't sit in a bathroom stall with the door shut, underground they were fine the mine entries were 20ft. wide and 11 feet tall later they  went rock to rock at 13 ft. and most entries were 3000 ft long or longer some went beyond a mile, nothing like the mines in the east of 100 Yeas ago .

Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 01-27-2024

Good Evening Everyone, I hope you all had a good day today. The temps dropped down into the 40's here today and a low pressure system is moving in. They are still calling for snow tomorrow but not sure how much we are to get yet. I spent the day painting and putting together one of the handcars. You can see the progress in the HO Scale forum. I did have a little bit of trouble getting to the point I am at now. I had to take a break as I was afraid I would break more of it and started to remove decals off a B&O hopper. I got one side done and C&I decals put on that side of the car. Now I am working on the other side and should have it done in the next half hour or so. It can then be placed on the oval track with the other hoppers and run for a bit. 

Gas prices have jumped back up to around $3.27 a gallon. We did pay $2.97 the other day by using our points we got at the local grocery store so it wasn't so bad. 

Hope you all have a good evening. Take Care My Friends.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 01-28-2024

Happy Sunday All,

Well we had a rain storm move through last night and it dumped about 2-3 inches of rain. No snow as of yet but apparently it's still on its way. Last night was a productive night as I got the C&I Caboose ( tuscan red in color ) stripped of the decals and is waiting to be painted yellow today. I also stripped the decals off of a C&O hopper but I have to wait for the mail to get here this week before I can apply the new decals. I also started to number a flatcar for the C&I as it's the only one I can find on their roster. 

The fiance wants to watch football today so that's what we will be doing from 3 o'clock on today. That won't stop me from getting the caboose done today. I hope everyone has a great day today and if it's cold where you are at stay warm and if it's hot stay cool.

Take Care My Friends

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-29-2024

Good morning all, welcome to a new work-week. Well, for some of you, Mikey as a half-week's worth, me, I'm heading out to the desert to do some target shooting. Why not, temps hit 78 yesterday, could get to 80 today. No rain until later this week so it's perfect timing.

Filled up at Costco yesterday, $2.95, I see today they've dropped ten cents as did Sam's.

Got to go load the truck, we leave early, rarely anybody else out there until later which is good, a lot safer for sure.

Take care, have a great day, and you all stay safe as well...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-29-2024

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 30 this morning after several days of dense for with visibility down to a couple of blocks at times. 47 today and 40s for the rest of the week. Very nice for the end of January.

Pretty quiet around here over the weekend. Not much accomplished. This morning I'll be heading to Ames for a doctor appointment and Wednesday I have an eye exam out of town. In both cases I have to rent a car. Still no word on the recall for my car and I'm not a big fan of getting stuck out in the country with a dead car.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 01-29-2024

Good morning folks

It is 36, heading up to 44 with no rain. I will be heading up to the project site in a few minutes to see how bad the mud is this morning.

I had a good weekend. I got all the outside decorations in and packed away. We were able to get the Christmas tree down and packed much to the displeasure of the cats. All the bins are packed and ready to go up into the attic. We did our running to the post office, and grocery stores. I even did a couple of loads of laundry.

This weekend was cleaning and organizing. I removed a bunch of junk from the basement. It is amazing how much collects when you are not paying attention. I then was able to reorganize the storage for my rolling stock and locomotives. Passenger equipment is next. I also got most of the rolling stock that was on the layout waiting for the reorganization put away. I did not get to run any trains, sadly. I did place the Ashmore Hotel on the layout and began working on the next kit; Bachmann Spectrum Ambassador Hotel.

Tonight we hope to get those bins into the attic. I want to finish the reorganization of the storage for the trains as much as I can and work on the Ambassador Hotel.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-29-2024

Hello Blue
Another week into winter. Overcast as usual. Temp for the day 32/36. No snow on the ground.
A sad Monday morning for us Lions fans. They started out hot then so many things went wrong in the second half it would take a list. 
Still the best team we have had in years.
Gas was $2.89 on Friday.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 01-29-2024

Good morning

We are halfway through winter but the worst is yet to come. February has been a brutal month for the past several years around here.
 It is currently 33° and rain/snow. We got an inch of rain yesterday.  

Gas is 2.89 slightly more than the 54.9 cents advertised on this day in 1977 and we now think 2.89 is cheap  Icon_redface      

I have some 2 bay hopper frames ready to paint so I am hoping to get that done.

Cheers
      Charlie