The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-10-2024

Good morning everyone, had to reset some of my clocks this morning. Not that we change here, but some, like my truck, knows I'm in MST zone, just that I'm in Arizona and don't change. My GPS knows where I am, but doesn't tell the clock. My wristwatch has a dual time zone and knows that I live in Arizona, but can also tell me the correct time where I am if I'm out of state. It also tells me what time it is in London, NYC, Berlin, Tokyo, Jamaica and some dozen other places in the world, as if I really care.

All the weeds are gone, just like in the Mama's and Papa's song ("All the leaves are brown"....), so, "let it rain" (ah, an Eric Clapton song).  The guy showed up a 7:30 and worked steady for eight hours. it would have taken me eight days and wouldn't have looked as good and I might have wound up in ICU as well.

Not much going on, it's Sunday, a day of rest and that's what I intend to do. I hope you do too....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 03-11-2024

Hello Blue
Just checking in. We had our monthly club meet Saturday night. A good turnout, still some sick members, a product of winter weather. Don't like the time changing, seems if at all DST should be in the winter months when it gets dark at 5pm.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 03-11-2024

HI all. Well, its Monday again don't know what happened to Thursday or Saturday time just fly's. With the weather change we have had the old knees have been bad so i haven't been able to work on the 4th level of layout.
stay safe all Jim.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - LiveSteamer - 03-11-2024

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Well we had a snow storm move through the area yesterday. We got around 3 inches of snow from yesterday morning until early this morning.

Gas prices are slowly coming down but not fast enough. Thank god for places that do fuel perks especially if our vehicle is almost empty.

I did have to take the numbers off of all the engines as the numbers were too big and I put smaller numbers on them. They do look much better with the smaller numbers. I'll admit it that I made an opps. So I will finish up renumbering the engines today and I am also painting the former conrail engine that is becoming C&I #33.

Hope you all have a great day today. Take care.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 03-11-2024

Good evening folks

Long day at work. My day started at 5:30 AM with being up at the site at 6:30 until 2:30. Then I had an hour of paperwork. The contractor began backfilling on both sides of two of the bulkheads. The bulkheads are 20 feet high and about 30 plus feet wide. The backfill needs to be placed in 8-inch lifts and compacted. We did 300 plus cubic yards today and barely came up two feet. We will be doing this all week.

I had a great weekend modeling. I began laying the roads town for the city. I am using Walthers Stret System and it seems to working out. I basically completed one intersection. I also began building the bridge that will be used to carry the tracks from the station so that the roads are not blocked for extended periods of time. I finished the bridge tonight.

I hope everybody has a good night.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 03-13-2024

Good morning folks

It is 46 in the predawn. High today is supposed to be 71.

We had another long day at work with all the backfilling. We are now at almost 700 cubic yards with a bunch more to go.

We may get my wife’s car back from the body shop today. I talked to the shop last evening and they said all they have to do is some detailing. My car will be ready either tomorrow or Friday.

I worked some on digging out the foam under the tracks where the overpass is going. I will need to order a smaller bridge for the third track and a tunnel portal for the roadway tunnel.

Broadway Limited has assaulted my wallet. They just announced a new locomotive; PRR B6sb 0-6-0. They are doing one in Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines. The first steamer I have seen in PRSL.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-13-2024

Greetings, gang.

Clear now at 35 degrees but the National Weather Service has scheduled clouds and rain for this evening. They also plan to double the current temperature. Chances for rain are 70% tonight and tomorrow. Keep in mind though that I had a 70% chance last week and never received a drop. Just sayin'.

Pretty decent day yesterday. Swam for a half mile and then rode the bike for 7 miles. After that I washed the car. Not sure why I did that with the high percentage chance for rain tonight and tomorrow. Also got a new computer mouse in the mail. I had bought a cheapie one from Walmart but it was less than satisfactory. I really like the new one - faster and more accurate. All the exercise yesterday was good but I'm paying the price for it. Both shoulders are sore and kept waking me up overnight. I'll probably skip the gym today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 03-14-2024

Good morning folks

It is 52. It is looking like a gorgeous day with a high of 77 as I count dump trucks.

My wife got her car back yesterday. My car is supposed to be done later today.

I worked some more on the bridge area. I hogged out the foam under the rails and test fit the bridge. I now realize I will need to remove the foam roadbed. I order a single-track bridge for the third track.

I am hoping to work on the bridge location. I need to make room for the abutments and wing walls.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-14-2024

Happy Pi Day, gang.

And another day of no rain, even with a 70% chance yesterday and last night. Today is only a 60% chance but I'm pretty sure I won't see a drop. 46 now going to the low 50s later.

I did skip the gym yesterday but did get in a 7 mile bike ride. Feels good to get back on the bike. Now, if I could just get my car fixed...

Spent another half hour on the phone with my previous phone company. Now they are saying "wait for the final bill which will show a credit." Fine. I expect I'll have to spend more time on the phone trying to get the "credit" turned into a check for me. Also still no check from the cable company after discontinuing service from them. Enough ranting for today. Only item tentatively planned for today is a trip to the gym.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-14-2024

Good morning everyone, after a couple of weeks in the low 80's, we could be somewhere in the 60's for a few days and looking for some rain. Why so cold? This big "L" is coming down from the north where it'll be snowing and that always makes it close to sub-freezing in Phoenix when that happens.

Tom, if you were late paying one of those bills, they'd cut your service and send the bill to collection. I got a letter in December from a medical organization that I hadn't been to in over a year. They said that they owed me $9.33 and would send it to the state if I didn't call them. Well I did, "why didn't you send me a check instead?", I asked. "Not so easy", she said. Well, two more calls later and the check finally showed up. Sorry folks, but thanks to their stupidity, I'm going to see a different group next week.

Speaking of stupidity, I needed gas yesterday, but put it off until today. Now I will be paying 20-30 cents more per gallon. Prices are jumping around like a rubber ball... One station near me was $3.29 yesterday, is now $3.59.

Take care, enjoy the day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 03-14-2024

Hello Blue
We will have a rainy day with a Hi in the 50s. The last 2 days we enjoyed 70s. Now back to March weather. I have a cough that won't go away, it's becoming annoying. This is my wife's bowling day so I will do my usual nothing while she's gone.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 03-14-2024

Good morning.

We had a beautiful day yesterday with the high reaching 70°. Same today with a chance of a storm this afternoon.

I got my lawn mower gas filled yesterday even though it is way to wet to mow but now I am ready. I decaled a couple more cars yesterday evening. 

I have to take my wife for an appointment this morning, she normally goes by herself but they are doing a proceedure that may render her unable to drive home so I am the back up driver. 

Nothing else to report. Stay safe and healthy. 

Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-15-2024

Beware the Ides of March, gang.

Wound up with about a half inch of a slow steady rain yesterday but the temperature never made it out of the 40s. Mid 50s and light breezes are promised for today.

Never made it to the gym yesterday. Just too darn lazy and since I've already been up for a half hour I'm probably not going today either, It would be a little awkward falling asleep while swimming laps.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-15-2024

Good morning folks, another cool day in the Valley of the Sun. Got a trickle of rain during the night and a good chance of more today. Spring Training games start around 2:00, it looks like some of the games will be washed out. I often wonder, whey do they play football in the rain and snow, but not baseball? Some people have suffered frost bite from a recent football game that they played in -4 degree weather.

We have St. Patrick's Day coming up on Sunday. We've already had our corned beef and cabbage dinner for this year at our weekly family dinner, so that will do.

Not much else going on over the weekend, we might go out target shooting sometime this coming week, not sure but temps will be back in the 80's by mid-week, so that sounds good. Take care, enjoy the weekend and stay safe.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 03-15-2024

Good morning folks

The temperature is 55 with a high of 74.

Hopefully today will be as nice as yesterday. I started out with a heavy coat and by quitting time I was down to a T-shirt.

I had to run around and deal with the rental car yesterday. I had to transfer it from my wife’s claim to my claim as my car did not get done in time. It is done now except for the paperwork. I am hoping to get it after work today.

Saturday I will be working some overtime. The rest of the weekend will include running to the produce store, grocery store, and who knows where else. There is a large pile of laundry that has been neglected this week due to me working mostly 10 hour days starting a 5 AM. Sunday is St Patrick’s Day which means I will be cooking the corned beef and cabbage.

On the layout I want to get the bridge in place. It now appears that my attempt to save the tracks are futile. It looks like I need to pull the existing track and replace it with new. I plan on placing the bridge and abutments temporarily unit I get a second bridge in place for the third track. The second bridge should be delivered on Saturday so I may work on that. I was going to build the Parkview Tenements kit next but after discovering a box with two Lundy Studio kits and two City Classic kits I may assemble of them.

I everybody has a good day.