The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9237)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-05-2024

Good afternoon folks

It is currently 47. Our high was supposedly 50. It felt colder with the wind but at least there was no rain after 4 days.

I have been taking it easy around the house. I have been trying to avoid lifting anything heavy or to move in anyway that will put stress on the area where the hernia is located. Surgery is on the 18th.

I have made some progress on the bridges. I got some ¼ inch Woodland Scenics foam boards and used them under the bridges. I ran a short test train.

This weekend will be spent trying not to aggravate the hernia. I need to make runs to the grocery store, produce store, and pharmacy. The part needed for the dishwasher came in and the repairman is scheduled to come tomorrow and finish the repair. Since my wife and daughter are going over to Dalton Farms in New Jersey to pick some tulips. I am hoping after the repairman leaves, I can run to the hobby shop.

I plan on running some long test trains over the new bridges. If they are successful, I will begin working on weathering the bridges. I can also work on the tunnel portal and stairs if time permits. If I need a change of pace, I have numerous rolling stock to tune up or build.

Mikey congratulations on retirement.

I hope everybody has a good evening.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 10:02 AM)jim currie Wrote: Ng once you join the ranks you will wonder where the times go as moma said life is like a roll of toilet paper it seems to go faster toward the end it's been ten years since I joined the ranks and it seems like five .so just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Jim

I'm seeing some of that now....  One day runs into another  Smile Smile

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-06-2024

Good Saturday morning to ya all. Yup, there are many times I wonder not only about the time whizzing by, but about where did all that free time go that I had when I was working. You don't always realize it at first until one day you wake up and find it's Christmas and it seems like Easter was just two weeks ago....

Got to go fill up this morning before I need to take out a loan to pay for it. Costco is now up to $3.86, it's $4.09 and up everywhere else. I still have a half-tank full, but we're going shooting on Monday so I have to decide, do I pay 23 cents more a gallon close to home, or drive to Costco and spend $2.00 in gas to save $2.00. No brainer....

Tom, I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery. I had that done a few years ago when another surgery left some openings where they worked. I'm glad I did it, they used a robot to put in a mesh, and now that area feels and looks normal again.

That's it for now, I hope you all have a relaxing weekend and you get to do things that you enjoy doing... Goldth

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-06-2024

Hello Blue
Sun and 50 for the day.
Home from a few days in the hospital. A mild stroke affected my balance, I was bouncing around like a drunk. it took 2 interns to get me out of the car and into a wheelchair. Turned on the Tiger home opener yesterday and saw the news about the quake, WOW
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - cid - 04-06-2024

April 6, 46 BC Julius Caesar defeats Caecilius Metellus Scipio and Marcus Porcius Cato (Cato the Younger) in the battle of Thapsus.

In search of a little diversity... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-07-2024

Greeting, gang.

Another windy day. 47 currently with winds up to 28 mph. Yesterday winds were over 45 mph. One of those days when it's probably a was of time to wear a hat.

Yesterday was rather uncomfortable. I sat outside watching great-grandkids' soccer games. Upper 40s and winds near 40 mph. The things we do for family. Friday was rather exciting. I was riding my bike and getting close to a turn around point when I heard a dog bark. I looked up and 4 German shepherds were very aggressively approaching me (i.e. at a dead run) while barking and snarling at me. I stopped and got off my bike (actually almost fell of) and started backing away while keeping the bike between them and me. After about a hundred yards of walking backwards I finally felt safe enough to get back on the bike. Went directly home and notified the local constabulary. Hopefully they will get animal control involved. These dogs should not have been loose. I'm concerned about what might happen to others. To be clear this was a public bike path and I have ridden it many times in the past. Scared the crap out of me! Back story. Several years ago I was walking out of a store when a dog bit me without warning or provocation. I spent a week in the hospital recovering not from the bite but from a germ in the dog's mouth.

Watched a boring F1 race this morning and just about to watch one of my nieces in a dance competition via livestream.

Gas was down to $2.99 this morning.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 04-07-2024

(04-07-2024, 09:30 AM)FiatFan Wrote: Greeting, gang.

Friday was rather exciting.  I was riding my bike and getting close to a turn around point when I heard a dog bark. I looked up and 4 German shepherds were very aggressively approaching me (i.e. at a dead run) while barking and snarling at me. I stopped and got off my bike (actually almost fell of) and started backing away while keeping the bike between them and me. After about a hundred yards of walking backwards I finally felt safe enough to get back on the bike. Went directly home and notified the local constabulary. Hopefully they will get animal control involved. These dogs should not have been loose. I'm concerned about what might happen to others. To be clear this was a public bike path and I have ridden it many times in the past. Scared the crap out of me!  Back story. Several years ago I was walking out of a store when a dog bit me without warning or provocation. I spent a week in the hospital recovering not from the bite but from a germ in the dog's mouth.

All stay safe.

Tom

you know a funny fact that in the late 1800's and up till about 1920 that made what were called bicycle guns for that very reason.
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-07-2024

Good morning everyone,

Tom, close call, it's crazy when folks have dangerous breeds of dogs but don't take care of them. There are two pit bulls next door to me and although they've never gotten loose, I'd hate to be in their path if the ever do. They bark whenever someone walks by, they can't see them but they may just sense or hear them. Oh, I wasn't a lucky as you, I made it to Costco just as the price of gas went up to $3.95, no mercy in sight. I didn't need gas, but we're going shooting tomorrow and it's always a good idea to fill up when you can before prices rise again.

I bought a couple more of those wooden puzzle vehicles, a WWII Jeep and a running trolley car. I just want to be able to do something sitting down and that requires full attention. I just need to do that for a while, I've tried working on my layout a bit but I have physical issues right now with standing for periods of time, so those puzzles are a good diversion.

Take care, stay away from earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes at the least, and anything else that might knock you off your feet....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-08-2024

Happy Eclipse Day, gang.

Not gonna see much here in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Lots of cloud cover and a chance of rain. 46 now going to 60.

For the eclipse I plan to go to a park southeast of town that's having a hike to watch the event. I won't get to see the eclipse but the change in light should make for a few interesting photos. For the last one in 2019 I visited a friend who lived right on the centerline. Truly a remarkable sight.

Jim - if I had been carrying a weapon there would have been some dead dogs.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-08-2024

Good morning all, not too sure just how much of a eclipse we will see in our part of the country, or even when. All the talk is about where you can see a total eclipse. The TV lady yesterday was talking about watching the eclipse in an observatory outside of Tucson for $70 each.

We're heading out to do some target shooting this morning, we're leaving early so that my friend can be back in time to take his wife to her medical appointment. I saw her last week and she was using a cane and in a lot of pain. Seems as if it took an MRI to see that she had a broken leg. Wow, she finds out today how they're going to deal with it. Response times for medical care is really getting bad. If I called my doctor to make an appointment for an issue, it might clear up before I could see him.

Take care, enjoy the hype of the day and don't stare at the sun today, or any day... Yeah, it's so tempting to take a glance.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - cid - 04-08-2024

My daughter and granddaughter had good views of the eclipse from Jonesboro, AR. I'm sitting on the patio at hueys in Southaven MS with a Moscow Mule waiting for them. They're on the way home (Jackson, MS) this evening. It was a worthwhile trip. I should have gone with them.?

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 04-08-2024

We tried watching the eclipse on TV. As far as we could tell, no network sat a camera down and showed the whole event. There were lots of shots of crowds of people and then a shot of (near) totality, then interviews with people, but nothing showing the entire sequence so that we could get the effect and know how long it takes.
Being a hundred miles off the path, we did notice that it became quite dark.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 04-08-2024

(04-08-2024, 05:08 AM)FiatFan Wrote: Happy Eclipse Day, gang.

Jim - if I had been carrying a weapon there would have been some dead dogs.

All stay safe.

Tom

Tom that was a period that your safety was though more of than any animal rights. Don't know what your laws are in your area but i would look into whether you can legally buy mace and not that pepper spray stuff as it doesn't affect animals that much. I also would file a complaint against whoever owned the dogs. Ran into that problem when kids were little some guy was walking his dog without a leash and it went after the kids playing on our front porch fortunately I was off that day and heard the kids screaming grabbed my trusty baseball bat and killed the dog thew owner tried to get me  but wife had already called the cops they showed up and to make a long story short the arrested him and we filled assault charge on him we had to go to court to testify and he ended up getting 90 days and a 100 dollar fine. This was 40 years ago and 100 was a lot of money then.
Jim

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 04-09-2024

Good morning folks

It is 46. We are going up to 78’. Another day of coats in the morning, T-shirts in the afternoon.

Yesterday was just a crazy day at work and home. I did not get a chance to respond here. We had a concrete pour that was supposed to be a couple of hours turn into an all day thing. When I got home I had to help my daughter do her taxes. Since the dishwasher has been finally repaired I had to load it up and test it.

I did get to see most of the partial eclipse for us. Here in Philly we had about 90%. We did not have total darkness but it was like a twilight. The temperature did go down 4 degrees. Of course the maximum coverage was at 3:23, cue the heavy clouds at 3:15. I did catch a small glimpse of the maximum coverage. My wife and son in our backyard, 9 miles from me got some great pictures as the clouds broke for them at 3:23.

The weekend did go quite as planned. The dishwasher repairman came to finish the job but couldn’t because he found another part that was leaking. It was a common part but as luck would have it he had a bunch in the shop but none on the truck. He came back yesterday and finished. My wife and daughter went to Daltons Farms in Swedesboro, NJ and picked tulips. Once the repairman left I made my way to the local hobby shop in Claymont, DE. I picked up the foam board I needed and three Athearn blue box wood reefer kits for Heinz. Sunday I had to drop off a couple of Amazon returns; one to Kohl’s , the other UPS. I also stopped at the grocery store and the local Ace Hardware to get potting soil, mulch, and garden soil. I did not touch them with hernia. The store employees loaded my car and my daughter unloaded. My wife then planted our window boxes.

I entered a few cars into my inventory program. The only thing I did get to do on the layout was run a train. It was a 30 car mixed freight pulled by a B&O F7A and F7B by Walthers Proto. I did make a video but I wanted to do more photos but I just couldn't find the time.

Today after work I need to stop and get my blood work done for my hernia surgery next week. I am hoping to get those modeling photos done tonight.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 04-09-2024

Greetings, gang.

34 going to 65 with clear skies.

Now that the dust has settled after the eclipse there will be lots of free space on your favorite website/newspaper/tv channel for more important stuff like "What's the latest electronic gizmo?  Click here to find out!"  I went to a nearby state park to get a few shots of the eclipse.  The local conservation agency sponsored a walk to a good viewing spot. Turned out very well.  Had about 20 people.  Lots of conversation.  There were scattered clouds which actually worked quite well for getting a few pictures.

Nothing else of import from yesterday.  Today looks to be the same.

Gas jumped from $2.99 to $3.34.

All tay safe.

Tom