An orphaned passenger car truck... - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Railroad Marketplace (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Swap Meet (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: An orphaned passenger car truck... (/showthread.php?tid=9278)

An orphaned passenger car truck... - doctorwayne - 02-14-2021

Anybody know who made this truck?

I have only the one shown, but can't find a similar one on-line, or any reference to who might have offered it.  It looks to me like it might be from Model Die Casting, especially since it doesn't have an extension for a coupler, like the passenger car trucks that were offered by Athearn.

If anybody has one to offer, or even several, I might be interested if the price is right.

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

RE: An orphaned passenger car truck... - nachoman - 02-14-2021

Mdc Challenger trucks?

RE: An orphaned passenger car truck... - doctorwayne - 02-14-2021

(02-14-2021, 10:29 PM)nachoman Wrote: Mdc Challenger trucks?

That was my first thought, but I seem to recall them having either somewhat pointy or swoopy-looking ends.

I was surprised to find this photo fairly quickly in photobucket, and was able to copy and paste it into a folder on my computer (I cannot post photos directly from photobucket on Big Blue for some reason).

The lack of an extension for a coupler does reinforce my opinion that my lonely truck is a MDC product, though.

Wayne

RE: An orphaned passenger car truck... - doctorwayne - 02-15-2021

Well, after some thought on where I might have used the missing partner for this lonely truck, it came to me after clouting myself in the head several times with a ball peen hammer (punishment for being so stoopid)...

I also found, while going through a box of passenger car stuff, a small piece of cardstock with the hand-written notation....

MDC 4 wheel Pullman trucks   Part #480-2937  (wonder which dummy wrote that?)

A previous search using that info yielded absolutely nothing, but about two minutes ago I found a pair of what appears to be the same trucks, but with a -2935 suffix.  I can afford the trucks, but the shipping is more than double that cost.  I can do without, I think, and maybe will find some at a train show later this year....or maybe even later, the following year.

Wayne

RE: An orphaned passenger car truck... - dave1905 - 02-17-2021

That is the rear truck for an Athearn streamlined observation car, one of the boat tail stainless steel cars. All the other passenger car trucks had a coupler attached. Teh rear truck of those cars did not. Kits for those cars had one truck with a coupler and one truck without.

RE: An orphaned passenger car truck... - doctorwayne - 02-17-2021

Thanks for that information, Dave.  As I recall, I bought two identical trucks (no extensions for couplers) in a plastic bag, with the blue and yellow Athearn tag stapled to it.  As I noted above, I had used one of them for that kitbashed centipede tender.  They must have changed the part number when Horizon took over Athearn, as I can't seem find them.  I thought that if someone had a lone matching truck, I'd offer to buy it, just because, other than on centipede tenders, there's not much use for just one.

Wayne