SIDI FONTANA MOROCCO 1916 scale 1/72 oo9
[Image: titre.jpg]

Hi,

I will start a new layout after the woolacombe bay and the nearly finished vestvagoy.

At an exhibition, a friend offered me these postcards

[Image: Meyer-photo1.jpg]

[Image: Meyer-photo2.jpg]

I wanted to do a layout based on these photos but at 1/13 scale it was not possible. So I choose to do that at 1/72 scale because at this scale there are french military figures and arabs too.

At Morocco in 1916, the french developed narrow gauge railways of 60 cm for civilian and military used. 60 cm at 1/72 scale is more of less 9mm, so I could used too the 009 material.

The layout will be an oval of 120 cm by 47 cm with an hidden part behind to finish the oval

The layout will look like more or less to that.

[Image: Preacutesentation1.jpg]
I just made a mock up at scale of my layout in order to have of tracks, volume, oasis area and village. It's helping my also to visualize the size of the convoy

[Image: IMG_3907.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3908.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3909.jpg]
Well, here's is something you don't see every day! Looking forward to developments!
The trains in the postcards already look like toys ... or, at least, models.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Very interesting build.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I've enjoyed your other builds, looking forward to following this one.
Cheers, the Bear. Cheers
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Hi there,

nice looking scene of an unusual model....

Cheers,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Hi Frank,
I think it is safe to say that you wont have anyone complaining about "having seen so many layouts like this" as may happen when modelling other better known locales. In fact you are more likely to have people question if there really had been trains in Morocco, so maybe copying the post cards for use as a side display will stop that. 35
Big thumbs up though for taking on a very very very unknown prototype, that takes a bit of guts as well as good railroad knowledge and hobby skills/research skills. Thumbsup
Do you plan on making it portable enough to display at train shows?
What brand loco and cars are you using?
The loco in the postcard appears to me to be possibly a 3 truck Heisler or Shay. Does any one have any educated guesses?
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:Hi Frank,
I think it is safe to say that you wont have anyone complaining about "having seen so many layouts like this" as may happen when modelling other better known locales. In fact you are more likely to have people question if there really had been trains in Morocco, so maybe copying the post cards for use as a side display will stop that. 35
Big thumbs up though for taking on a very very very unknown prototype, that takes a bit of guts as well as good railroad knowledge and hobby skills/research skills. Thumbsup
Do you plan on making it portable enough to display at train shows?
What brand loco and cars are you using?
The loco in the postcard appears to me to be possibly a 3 truck Heisler or Shay. Does any one have any educated guesses?
Mark

Yours remarks are very interesting.

During exhibition I will have a digital frame picture that will display photos of tihs location in this era. It will help to set up the layout.

It's a quite unknown prototype, mainly for me but I have friend that can help me. In France we have a lot of informations on this railway system because the french build it. What I was ignoring before is that there is 2000 km (1500 miles) of rails at 2 feet gauge in Morocco.

Since 16 years, it will be only the second layout on this thema and it will be the first one at this scale. I love exotic and unusual layout.

It will be a portable layout for train shows.

What brand loco and cars are you using : I have to buy kit, 3d locos and I have also to do it by myself on 3d printers with the help of a friend.

The loco in the postcard appears is a 030+030 Mallet Decauville

http://www.maroc-protectorat-chemindefer...-et-autres
I'm building the layout

[Image: IMG_3919.jpg]
I have started to shape the foam.

[Image: IMG_3942.jpg]
Excellent initiative! And your totally qualified to turn this idea into a great looking layout.

Happy to hear you'll try to build the little mallet locomotive. It really caught my eye in the first postcard.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
I have done some progress with figures, trees (more than 140) and buildings.

My friend Jean-Pierre draw a rolling specificly for this layout. We hanve now to prind it. We are going to print it one at Sculptéo, one at shapeaway in translucid ultra frost detail and one at immaterialize in order to compare the various quality of suppliers

[Image: 1455472724900.png]

[Image: 1455472892349.png]
I'm doing more than 120 palm trees

[Image: IMG_4679.jpg]
The stems with the residual of the old foliage look very good. How are they made?
Reinhard