Freelance 2017-2
How about Oberammergau(sp?)? That was a nice little town right after WWII! But park the SUV in front of a store. Have kids in the car while a parent carrying a bag back to SUV.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
At the next morning. I will keep it nice and clean. An office building with financial services, layers etc. at the far east end of the layout.

[Image: 35455876632_fdd21e6fd6_o.jpg]

Got some new fire hydrants to be painted dark gray/weathered black with silver caps to match NYC style.
Reinhard
Doing background scenery is great but there are still some railroad tracks in the foreground that need to have some purpose. As I am inspired by the Bronx for the background is Hunts Point the perfect inspiration for the foreground.
https://www.google.de/maps/@40.8060972,-...312!8i6656

[Image: 35464864672_b4dcf110a0_o.jpg]

I like the clean front with the reefers. I like the commercial background too but they do not blend well together without some kind of transition. May be I get used to it or I get a better idea how to match the background with "something" justifying the tracks. The new building will be kept "only put" on the layout until that conflict is solved.

[Image: 35502933801_e3e2981799_o.jpg]
Reinhard
The old trick still works. If a structure is to much dominating do not shorten it but lower it. The white ribbon covers the cut reducing the height from 10cm down to 8cm (3.9" - 3.1"). I will proceed and detail the scenery.

[Image: 35467384422_3092189ed7_o.jpg]
[Image: 35467384692_6598242341_o.jpg]
Reinhard
A great solution, and it gives a better view of the street behind - very neat!
Hunts Point was a really rough neighborhood. If you have overgrown weeds and some suspiciously well dressed people with shovels by the railroad yard, it may lend some authenticity. A little waterfrontish looking scenery would definitely give it a hunts Point look.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
That spot where the refrigerated building is could also be a building supplier with boxcars and center beams of lumber, brick/block and/or bagged cement. A small yard won't block the view of your street and is very prototypical of NYC.
Weathered the building and put it into the ground. The almost never visible backside got six simple loading docks.

I wish I had more space to model Hunts Point. A layout around E. 149th St divided by the Bruckner Expw into commercial/residential part and an industrial part with the CSX yard.
For now it is only a structure with some/few similarities. I will serve it with reefers and boxcars as well. Center beams are nasty vehicles. Their excessive length make all my track curves look dull and the space required to unload them from both sides is enormous. I tried that two times over the last years without much success.

[Image: 34839221073_83d8719804_o.jpg]
[Image: 34839221183_6a1159cf36_o.jpg]

Got 100 people in an affordable bulk pack. They make a nice touch from the distance. 100 more to come but still far away from a crowded city. More like Oberammergau Wink

[Image: 35482203902_14d668dc40_o.jpg]
[Image: 35482203602_8f8e909f17_o.jpg]
Reinhard
Center beams do take up space I thought if you moved the chain link fence closer to your main line it would be convincing enough but you know better than us when it comes to your layout. What will you do with the track that the tank car is spotted on? Will it be part of your refrigerated (maybe food processing) building?
Rscott417 Wrote:Center beams do take up space I thought if you moved the chain link fence closer to your main line it would be convincing enough but you know better than us when it comes to your layout. What will you do with the track that the tank car is spotted on? Will it be part of your refrigerated (maybe food processing) building?

That is the track with th NS boxcar on this old photo. I intend to kit bash the Cornerstone Grocery Distributor kit (933-3760) replacing the place holder shed on the photo to justify that track. The kit is behind me and Sunday is in front of me. Sounds good!

[Image: 35134347200_aa6927718a_c.jpg]

ps. I had to suspend the 53" reefer operation. They do not pass the extreme tight curve on the hatch built some month ago... Sad

pps. My last center beam theme
[Image: 23975953990_39ce857166_o.jpg]
Reinhard
I guess now that you have an issue with reefers on your lift out the centerbeams won't be any better.
Rscott417 Wrote:I guess now that you have an issue with reefers on your lift out the centerbeams won't be any better.

Absolutely, I am not going to try it and the center beams are stored in the basement anyway. But I will pause making buildings on the layout soon and prepare the reefers to negotiate that far to tight curve. The inner wheel flanges need a tad more space to swing in the curve. Did that already with some other cars. That is really a good lesson to be learned. I will never again be to optimistic when laying tracks in tight curves.

My topic for the next time. That used to be the Walthers kit 933-3760 until my knife and glue got involved.

[Image: 35669201495_d797321c6a_o.jpg]
Reinhard
Mike Kieran Wrote:Hunts Point was a really rough neighborhood. If you have overgrown weeds and some suspiciously well dressed people with shovels by the railroad yard, it may lend some authenticity. A little waterfrontish looking scenery would definitely give it a hunts Point look.
I concentrated on the market only in the past but started reading about Hunts Point and explored the other areas after you posting. Wikipedia is surprisingly open describing that area and it's problems. The same it true for most of the Bronx. Youtube has some clips done by citizens showing the action in front of their window and immediate neighborhood. Don't worry. Germany is no paradise and drugs and poverty have similar effects.
Reinhard
A flat low profile structure not interfering with the background but large enough to justify a track with one boxcar.

[Image: 35289859270_65461ecc0f_o.jpg]
[Image: 35289858930_f8a68391df_o.jpg]

I wrote yesterday "I had to suspend the 53" reefer operation. They do not pass the extreme tight curve on the hatch built some month ago."

Problem solved. The screws of the trucks were to tight. A quarter turn left and the trucks can "climb" over vertical steps. The curve is at but not beyond the limit and that was not the immediate problem. Anyhow the trackage is lousy.
Reinhard
A busy city street needs to be protected by a fence from the railroad property(e.g. Bruckner Blvd or Park Ave in the Bronx) or vice versa.... The fence is Micron Art 93405. I suggest you try more cost effective home made solutions first and keep this in mind as a backup solution for fingers and eyes like mine.

[Image: 35650128036_a56f85d48b_o.jpg]
[Image: 35650127586_d4ba046b07_o.jpg]
Reinhard