It's been a long time....
That looks pretty-darn decent to me, Shane......

(03-14-2019, 09:20 AM)tetters Wrote: .....I'm not looking for Bob Ross level scenery painting....

...but you're right - I don't see any "happy little squirrels".

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. ;-)
(03-10-2019, 07:13 AM)tetters Wrote: Hi Jim.  I assume you're referring to the Schlitz beer reefers?  Those were Roundhouse RTR cars I picked up a few years ago.

I do also plan on adding some green on the wider ledges...when I decide to get around to it.  LOL.

the reason I ask about the beer reefer  is I have a old metal varney one that looks just like it .

So things are progressing...slowly.  I finished up an area of rock work that I'd been avoiding for awhile.  Plus Ive been doing some scenery work on the Club layout as well...primarily making trees for it.

Anyways.  After mulling it over I ending up painting my entire mountain cliff face a stone grey colour.  As opposed to the light clay colour you've seen in previous pics.  I then gave the entire feature a wash of watered down black and brown acrylic paints.  

Now jump ahead to today.  Seen above are the results of an afternoon of playing with some more acrylics and a combination of wetting the paint with water and some dry brushing.  I found the best results I got came from using a fine point brush and applying it in streaks and then using a wet stiff bristled fan brush and dragging it downward sideways to make streaks...trying very hard to not get too carried away.  I like the results so far.  The next step after this is to do some weathering powders to dusty things up a bit.  Suggestions and comments are always welcome of course.
That looks Great!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
looks quite realistic , will see if I can find some of the photos I took of the Yampa river canyon years ago.
Thumbsup  Thumbsup   Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Agree, very realistic. I'll give you 100% for how well it looks Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Wonderful work! It's a lovely little layout. Your backdrop efforts are quite good. You captured the majestic appearance of Rockies with your use of colors and shades.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the compliments guys. I really do appreciate them.

So....you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs...am I right?   After some thought (it honestly only took a second) I decided I didn't want to use the snowshed I had built infront of the tunnel portal for my mountain area scenery.  The problem was the plaster rock behind it had been shaved and carved flat to accommodate it.  So with some degree of courage I grabbed my oscillating tool and carved out the section of plaster.  Once I carefully knocked it loose with a small hammer I mixed up a fresh batch of plaster and gooped it in place.  I really did...it's sort of the consistency of not quite soft ice cream.  Anyways...as it sets up I can start shaping it and then carving it to match the surrounding area.  Next steps are my base coat of grey paint, a wash coat and then the colouring stage.

I think that went rather well.  Once I applied the wash and allowed it to dry thoroughly I started applying my paints and doing my wet and dry brush method.  I'm also using a fine tipped brush to apply paints in tiny streaks which seems to add a nice effect to me.  As I do this I'm thankful that I haven't finished work on my float and tug at this time as the lake bed provides a nice shelf to rest my colour pallette on as well as a comfy place to rest my arms as I work on the cliff face.  This feels like a battle of inches as I creep along.
Wonderful!!!

Worship Worship Worship
Applause Applause Applause
Icon_e_surprised Icon_e_surprised Icon_e_surprised
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
https://youtu.be/Pr5g8Ct6Fgo

Sometimes we have to stop "working" on the railroad to remind us why we work on the railroad.  #letsrunatrain
Very nice indeed. Nice recovery, great repair. 
Charlie