Static Trackside Signs
How does one know which trackside signs (not signals) to use (for what purposes) and where they would go on a layout when many prototype signs consist only of a letter, a number or a symbol of one kind or another and no wording?  

My GN freight layout, c. 1945-1955, is a small 5' x 7' with a double reverse loop, five track crossings by road, a wayside siding and two freight depot sidings, so there would be a need for only a modicum of signage. 

I've already placed crossbucks where the roads cross the tracks.  What other non-operational signs would be appropriate and practical for the GN line in my era?  Color photos with interpretations (uses) and appropriate locations along the route would be most helpful.

I've already contacted the GNRHS, but did not receive a helpful reply.  I've also since learned that the only books even remotely related to my question are long-winded recitations of rules and regulations, with basically zero graphics, that were written for railroad employees, not the general public.
If I'm not mistaken, I offered a few options over on the MR Forum, mostly because the photos I have of signs are in photobucket, and will not show here as photos.  When I attempt to post them here, all that shows-up is the word "undefined".
I lost a large file of photos from my previous computer, and many of them had been in photobucket, too.  That site is now gone to other owners, and has changed somewhat...the photos are mostly there, but seemingly cannot be copied  and stored privately, for use here, as they would have been on the former site.
I certainly don't want to chase you away from Big Blue, but it won't hurt if you go take a look.  I'll eventually get around to taking new photos, which can be used here.

Wayne
google railroad signs meaning you will find a lot of signs. this is another sight https://www.alaskarails.org/terminology/...signs.html .
Jim
Sorry, I neglected to provide a link to that thread on the MR Forum, so I'll add it HERE.

Wayne
(09-06-2020, 06:57 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Sorry, I neglected to provide a link to that thread on the MR Forum, so I'll add it HERE.

Wayne

Yep, I read and replied to your earlier post on the other forum.  Many thanks.
(09-06-2020, 06:14 PM)jim currie Wrote: google railroad signs meaning you will find a lot of signs. this is another sight  https://www.alaskarails.org/terminology/...signs.html .
Jim

Jim,

Many thanks for the variety of signs - just what I'm after.  Louis sent the same a few weeks ago on another site, though your images came through a little more clearly.