Ralph's Layout Self-improvement Blog
The modeling by Big Blue members inspires me! I often see images of other people's work and think that I would like to improve my own. Sometimes I am pretty happy with things I've made. Other times I look at a photo of something I've posted and become dissatisfied with my results. This has happened a few times lately but it has motivated me to take a photo inventory of my layout (the camera is an objective critic) so I can make a list of projects I want to redo or improvements I may wish to make. This blog is really a way to motivate myself to make my layout better but you all are certainly invited to take a look and comment if you'd like.

An over all shot of my U-shaped folded dogbone with its return loops superimposed on each other on different levels to the left.
[Image: IMG_1872.jpg]

I'm happy with the overall track plan although I'd design it differently if I were starting over. I'd want less visible track and a lot more staging. Still, my current design offers a long mainline run. It takes five minutes fora train to complete a circuit on the layout and I can run two trains on the same track and power pack very easily. It creates a lot of pleasing visual action when I just want to watch trains go around. There are enough tunnels and hidden track that guests are surprised when a train appears at certain times, which is fun. From an operational stand point the current plan allows me some hidden staging and enough sidings and spurs to do sufficient switching. The improvements I'm imagining are more cosmetic than structural. I'm not changing the layout design...but I do hope to improve the scenes on it.

Messages In This Thread