ExactRail Boxcars
Bit the bullet and bought a couple of the Evolution Series when they were on sale at the LHS. Detail on the body and printing are excellent, as are the grabs and stirrups. Definitely good products.

Now, for those of us with magnetic uncoupling, the steel weight has to be removed (which isn't all that easy) and replaced with something non-magnetic, the steel truck screws need to be replaced with brass, and unfortunately, the metal wheelsets have to be replaced because they are definitely magnetic and cause the car to do the hoochy-coochy when set out at a magnet location. :x

As an experiment, I started adding lead to the car to see if I could create some rolling friction to negate the magnetic attraction. At 6 ounces total car weight, there was only a slight indication of attraction, which was probably acceptable. At 7.5 ounces, the movement was neglible. The NMRA recommendation would be 4.5 ounces for a 50 foot car?

All in all, it's a nice car, but I don't know if I will spend the money considering that I have to dismantle them and change the weights and wheelsets. Someone uncoupling by hand wouldn't have these issues.

[Image: image.php?album_id=175&image_id=3376]

Messages In This Thread