Freelance 2012
I have made up my mind about the next evolutionary step of my layout to last at least until end of 2012.

- The current layout will be backdated into the 1950th. The prototypical reference to the south of LA will remain unchanged. However, it will be a freelance layout again.
- The track plan will not be changed unless I find minor modification vital to the overall layout impression or operation.
- I do not plan to model prototypical buildings because I learned my skills to do brick buildings after prototypes are insufficient. I will go with freelance brick buildings based on DPM and Cornerstone modules. We will see if and how well I can create an overall impression of south LA in the 50th.
- Operation will be performed by Santa Fe HH600, HH1000, S2 and S4. I am undecided at this time if I will/can modify a SF S4 into a LAJ S4. It is at least not mandatory for south LA. SF did serve that area primary with HH600 and HH1000 engines. The Atlas HH660 can be stripped down to plain black and an early SF paint scheme with minor tiger stripes (at the sill only) should be doable. An even older paint scheme has a white sill only. That will even more easy to do but will stretch the prototype into the 50th very much.
- The four track staging yard / north yard will stay untouched without scenery. May be it will get a simple matching backdrop.

The thing I need most urgent are photos of the streets and industries in south LA in the 50th. I have to get a feeling about all the details like traffic signs (e.g. yellow markings for no parking?), street markings, security gates (none?) in the 50th. Looks like there are lots of photos of the really historic LA but the 1950 are barely covered.

I will continue this thread as my work will progress.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread