Hedley Junction
Hi everybody,

Alpha_1 worte to me recently about one of my kitbash and he awaken that train bug sleeping peacefully since a few months... So I paid myself a visit to the club this very evening.

Hedley Junction is our "club layout" depicting Quebec City Area (harbour and insdustrial borough) circa 1957. It is strongly flavoured with QRL&PCo rolling stocks and structure to give it a distinctive character.

This evening, we decided to play with some ideas I had previously developped for the challenge contest this spring. Mainly, we selected Legrade Meat Packing and the sawmill. Few months ago, we built a small peninsula to enlarge the switching district but didn't decided on any specific industries. Now it was time to mock up something!

Legrade:

Version 1: We decided to use the buildings as I built them for the small switching layout. The main problem is dealing with the cars. Not fun at all to switch with a two storeys high building in from of your track...

[Image: IMG_0097.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0101.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0105.jpg]

Version 2: Buildings were placed according to the real prototype. It means cattle pens are in front, so no more obstacles. It also provides a better interaction between the meat packers entrance, Lairet Station and the underpass road. However, we will have to rebuild the main structure in a mirrored fashion. The positive aspect of this is that it will be oriented as the prototype. This industry is quite nice to operate because it handle 4 different car-type: stock cars, reefers, tank car (grease) and hopper (coal). It provides a lot of operation in small and simple track plan.

[Image: IMG_0110.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0114.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0124.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0128.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0133.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0134.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0136.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0143.jpg]

Léo Cauchon sawmill:

This sawmill is located near Cape Tourmente tunnel portal. Its footprint takes advantage of the space available. The spur can old 3 40-ft boxcars, 1 hopper (or 2) for woodchip service and 3 flat cars full of timber. Another effective way to handle many different cars with one "small" industry. Vegetation was put just for fun.

[Image: IMG_0154.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0157.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0164.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0167.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0170.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0179.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0180.jpg]

Enjoy!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread