Plastic cement
Sumpter250 Wrote:Hypo syringe needles can be purchased with "blunt" ( square cut, as opposed to angle cut...helps prevent accidental injections of "glue" )tips. I use one for applying carpenter's glue, when building small wood structures. It got a lot of use, so far, with the "Lobster Pound" construction.
I keep a short piece of Brass rod ( of the required diameter to fit ) in the tip of the needle. It helps keep the glue, in the needle, from drying out and plugging the needle.
MEK, is a great plastic cement ! H O W E V E R , Seriously !!, use adequate ventilation, and avoid, as much as possible, skin contact. MEK can do ugly things. I use a small paint brush to apply the MEK to the joint. ( it evaporates too quickly to apply it to the part and then try to join it to the model, or another part )
MEK was used to assemble this "Junkbuild" space craft, out of plastic pill bottles, flash cubes, salvaged plastic kit parts, etc.
Oh yeah, there's a plastic "shot glass", and a Ping Pong ball in there too ! Icon_twisted Wink Big Grin
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I like the MEK because it wicks between the parts and doesn't leave any ugly residue behind. I agree, it there is no working time when you use it. I did find another syringe that I had, but no needle, so I'm using a small bottle that I had with a fine needle on it. I forgot about these things until Charlie mentioned it. Thank you Charlie, I can now put away the bottle with the brush in the cap.... Worship

Pete: really neat warship. It looks like you had a lot of salvaged parts. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread