MWaz Get off your duff challenge
First off, thanks Wayne and Lutz for letting me know someone is still following all this mess. I guess I may have brought a few laughs to some. I wanted to post the good as well as the bad. Some of this stuff I posted in this thread, I posted so I could refer back to it for future builds. But anything that I've learned that truly stuck, I learned the hard way. Just my nature I guess.

So Lutz, I did a little searching on the internet tonight about what you were referring to as a torque lever. I had a vague and cloudy remembrance of seeing an installation of a NWSL gearbox with a brass strap attached to the top of the box and secured to the motor. It came back yet again to another Mark Schutzer clinic. Here's a shot he did on a brass loco he was repowering:
[Image: image024_zpsjxvnko12.jpg]

And another:

[Image: image025_zpshx2vsp3r.jpg]

I think this is what your referring to when your suggesting a torque lever. Mark calls it a torque arm. I can see how this can keep gearbox and motor "pushed" away from each other, thus not needing the little block of styrene. This is what you were describing, right? Also, both photos illustrate a dogbone shaft. I do not think I have the room under the H9 boiler to have a dogbone in there, though. I can't remember if the Helix Humper motor that used to be in the H9 had a flywheel or not. I'd have to find it.

Messages In This Thread