Distilled Water?
Bob C Wrote:The stuff in your kettle (and around steam relief valves on locomotives) is calcium and other minerals from the water that evaporates - that's how distillation works to remove minerals dissolved in the water - works the same for tropical fish tank water, softens it - but you then must add back the metabolically necessary minerals. Do NOT try Tropical fish in your kettle, however ! Bob C.

And the same goes for yourself. destilled , also called demineralised water, is exactly that, it has got barely anything in it. If you drink it, the water will naturally bind itself again with minerals etc in your body, in essence flushing out the stuff that's actually good for you.... so be careful, don't drink it if you can help it, paint with it is absolutely fine though :-)
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
I originally used alcohol to thin PollyScale paints and found that the paint would dry even before leaving the airbrush - it soured me on water-based acrylics for some time. For some dumb reason I one day looked at Testors' website and saw their recommendations for thinning and spraying PollyScale - they recommend distilled water and 15/20psi for spraying, as opposed to the alcohol and 25/35psi I had seen recommended on several other sites. I took a chance that they might know something about their product, and spent almost four hours successfully airbrushing a large number of freight cars, with not one incidence of clogging or erratic spray. Who'd athunkit? Misngth

I do use a different ratio of paint to thinner, and have found that you can use up to about 90% water for applying weathering, making it easier to get some subtle effects.
Trawna tap water is probably very similar to the local offering here (outa the same lake), and I can say for sure that distilled water is preferrable for decaling. You can pick up a gallon (U.S. Wink ) cheaply at the supermarket, or, if your dehumidifier is clean, use the water from it - I was a little leery on this, but tried it and it worked very well. Thumbsup

Wayne
Our dehumidifier was always coated with something that used to be cat hair.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.