NS RP Units
Hello Herc---sorry I can't comment on the technical aspects of "slugs",but I can provide some photos of CNR slugs

[Image: Latestfoe-toesfromMisterNutbar080.jpg]

[Image: img871.jpg]
Those are some great pictures...thanks!

It's amazing how interesting all this is. Hopefully, the NS media rep will shed some light on the how and why these particular engines were re-modeled.

On a related note...it wouldn't be too hard to kit-bash one of these. Take any GP-38 or GP-40, file down what isn't needed anymore on the shell, add some really shiny black paint and new decals, and that's it! (Of course, I'm really over simplifying the process.) But still, it would make for an interesting addition to an engine roster.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Well, I don't know much about anything, let alone slugs. But I can tell you that one reason NS uses them is to help the locos to pull the heavy coal trains from WV to the railyard in Salem to be sorted out. They use them in the railyard, and I have watched them work. I also saw a unit at CSX railyard that was helping an SD40-2 switch cars around. It was labeled RPD (RDP??) Slug.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Here's the reply I received from the NS Media rep...and what he found out from from the company's Locomotive section...

"The RP-E4C has all the benefits of the earlier RP-E4D from the mid 1980’s but it offers advantages for operations where two GP38-2 units are used in large measure to have operator cabs at both ends of the consist. Numerous locals operate over the mainline and then go down a branch line to switch an indusry. As a result, it is desirable and necessary to be able to operate from both ends of the consist.

The GP40-2 mother and a RP-4EC offer nearly the same tractive effort below 25 mph as two GP38-2 units and have almost as much horsepower (3000 vs. 4000) but burn less fuel and therefore this is greener solution. From a maintenance perspective we have one less engine, alternator and air compressor to maintain, making this a lower cost unit to operate with practically all the versatility of two locomotives with two diesel engines."

I guess that explains it! My thanks to Norfolk Southern for a complete explanation.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
its great to see you got a reply and i see what they were trying to do.thanks herc.--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Its nice to see a Class 1 railroad answer questions from a railfan.
Great info. Thanks for taking the time to found out what us inquiring minds wanted to know.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Its nice to see a Class 1 railroad answer questions from a railfan.
Great info. Thanks for taking the time to found out what us inquiring minds wanted to know.

Ed,I once visited a smaller NS terminal and told the yardmaster that I would be lurking around taking pictures from public land..He thanked me and then told me where most "train buffs" gather and gave a copy of the train line up sheet for that day which included the 1218! I wasn't even aware it coming through my area.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!