GEC's Layout Progress
In the spirit of my round robin approach to everything, i've started rehabing my GP40FH-2 NJ transit commuter locomotive. I've had it for years, and i've even modified an athearn frame to fit it properly, but I rarely photographed it because i did a horrible job on the paint and accidentally put gouges in the shell. I've just filled in the deepest ones, and i'm in the process of doing just a little repainting to reveal where the problem spots are.

Because the paint was so badly gummed up, i'm going to replace the old fans with Cannon & Co fans,and modify some S&S hobbies F40PH grills to fit my the GP40FH-2.

I've also ordered the frame for the NJ Transit PL42AC, as well as truck sideframes. since i already have a motor, drive, and trucks, the model should be running as soon as i install a decoder in it.

I've also acquired decals for the PL42AC and ALP46, so those will at least have completed shells soon.

I hope to get new decals to repair my C32-8, which is, like the GP40FH-2, in good shape details wise, but horrible shape paint/decal wise, so i'm going to have to get a new set of "Conrail Ballast Express" decals.

finally, i have another E60MA i'm going to start on as soon as the PL42AC, and C32-8 are finished. I'll try to finish the GP40FH-2 along side it, and then if i'm lucky, the parts for the ALP46 will be out in time for me to start building it before the year is out.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Well, i worked on my layout some, and also got working on my NJ transit locomotives. not much to say to day, just pictures, lol. none of it is ever really finished, but i'm getting closer to completion. the PL42AC can probably be made to run by tommorow.

ALP46 is coming out alright, but as usual i've knocked some decals out of place without realizing it, they will need to be fixed.

[Image: wrecksoftheshop005z.jpg]

PL42AC frame

[Image: wrecksoftheshop007.jpg]

PL42AC body shell. not all the decals are in place, and i need to find additional decals to supplement these.

[Image: wrecksoftheshop008.jpg]
Looks Good GEC. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
Well, i got some more trucks and vehicles for the layout, as well as completed some ugly track work fixes. my camera is down for now, but soon i should have pictures.
YOU'RE MAD CHRIS! MAD!!!!!!

Indeed I am! Cheers

Reason #1) I've begun buying more train stuff. I probably shouldn't (god knows i have to many locomotive kits), but i've lucked out. The girl i've been dating really wants to try and build some models, and she really did seem excited about it (she could tell i was skeptical, lol). so now I'm excited to get back to work.

I have just recieved Magic Pan Bakery, and a yellow/black Conrail X73 (better known as a FGE insulated boxcar). The Boxcar i'm holding for my girlfriend, because its a good kit to get her started. This leaves the bakery, which leads to...

Reason #2) I'm removing ALL of my industries from my layout, and replacing them with Magic Pan Bakery. Why? When i originally planned the layout, i had hoped to have a nice mixe of rolling stock. I planed to have An oil refinery (Oil Loading racks), Geo. Roberts Printing (never found the kit until las summer, used American Hardware Supply instead), and a Plastic pellet transfer.

First the oil industry didn't fit all that well, so i had planned to replace it with a loading dock. That has not worked out yet. it pretty much limited my layout to a billion boxcars and then some hoppers.

However, i finally bought Magic Pan Bakery, and as it turns out, the main structure fits perfectly in the space American Hardware Supply stands, and can realistically fit two 50' boxcars (instead of one), and requires a great variety of rolling stock.

This way, i can have insulated/clean box cars, Pressuraide or Airslide Hoppers, as well as at least 4 different varieties of corn syrup tank cars (1,600 gal. funnel flow, 8,000 gal. "soda cans", etc.) and maybe a vegetable oil car.

where once i had three different kinds of cars, i now have a huge and colorful choice for what i want to run. The silos for the bakery will go where the silos for the Plastic pellets were. I'm pretty sure the contents of those siloes can be pumped that far. Where i originally had the loading racks for oil, i can install Pumps for draining out the contents of tank cars. Unlike the oil-loaded tank cars, i'm sure these don't require as much space between them and nearby structures, so they fit better.

Reason 3) I've moved my layout to a new part of the basement, opening an 8' X 11' area to build in. If i reposition some stuff a little more, i may actually have a longer (still 8' wide) area to work with. While i'm still not sure what i want to do, i am getting closer to a solid idea. I won't even bother asking for idea, because space and requirements change so quickly for me that who knows what they'll be tommorow. Hopefully, i'll finally be able to build that refinery scene, and i'll have to re-use my old stuctures, as well as the geo. roberts printing and the refinery cracking tower.

I also have a Ford Auto Assembly plant, Stamping plant, and an additional Distribuition center kit being held at my hobby shop that i'm picking up a little at a time each trip i make (the kits cost to much for my weekly spending budget to buy individually at once). These might be to much to add, but i'll keep them in mind.

I've decided that the greatest priority is under-layout staging and continuous running. If i can accomplish that, i'll be happy with whatever space is left on the top deck and long as it looks nice.

Reason 4)
I might switch to electric traction (leave diesels for the addition). My layout is better suited to things like 44 tonners than it is even GP40-2s. However, i love my electrics, most of which are big. I would have liked a model similar to Niagara Junction's E10B (which is small but still Heavy Duty), but i cannot find such a model. If anyone knows a good heavy electric switcher locomotive, please tell me.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the steeple cab switchers available. They all have trolley poles and such, and i'm looking for something with a big pantograph, like a PRR B1, or the aforementioned E10B. However, if a trolley will run with heavy electric (PRR/NEC style) catenary, i'll be fine with it. worst comes to worse i'll just slap on a bigger pantograph.

anyway, thats all thats new for now.
I've also just grabbed two Corn Syrup cars, an 17,600 gal Atlas MNCX tanker, and a athearn "beer can" UTLX tanker. I like these since they are shorter and fit my small 4x8 better.
Wow, you're really stirring it up, hope it all goes well, seems like a good plan. Thumbsup

And a big high five to you for finding someone who wants to enjoy the hobby with you Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Well, I figure this needs an update. Rather than the normal wordy updates, I'm just gonna post a couple pictures and caption them (and then word bomb for those who still have the patience!).

First up, the Conrail X73 me and my girlfriend put together:

[Image: newstuff019.jpg]

This is what things will eventually look like, if stuff goes right.

[Image: newstuff007.jpg]

This is the new "look." Yeah, its still getting there. as you can sort of see, the new tracks are in place, and I've even started getting them painted this past friday (more on that in a second). I think i just need to reconnect a few wires, and it should all work.

The E33 needs a decoder, but should otherwise be fine. The E44 is going to need an E33's frame, since the drive is just to old, even with a new motor and new decoder. i could put some more elbow-grease into it, but i don't think it would pay to do so. Luckily, E33s come real cheap from some websites, so when i get some extra money, I'll pick up a few.

The Silverliner IIs also need work, including closer couplers, and a new power truck/decoder. There is a lot of lighting fixtures in them already, and those I'll replace when i can. These will be an easy rehab once i get the power truck for it. It needs a strange 9' power truck with 33" wheels, so I'll have to find one. I know the black beetle company has them, but I'll have to hunt them down.

The Magic Pan bakery is one wall being propped up by an AEM7, but right now my girlfriend and I are assembling that. We just started on painting it, and I'm thinking by next week it will be done. For the purposes of education, i wish i was taking a video. She was using an Airbrush for the first time, and she was doing just fine. In fact, she did perfectly. Meanwhile, i was the one making silly mistakes! In fact, i knocked over a whole jar of RR Tie Brown paint, and we ended up rushing to paint my tracks so that the paint wouldn't get wasted. despite the large number of tracks and things that needed that paint, there was still a big puddle, but my jar is luckily still more than half full.

I might remove one spur track (closest to the mainline) so that catenary will fit better, since i don't really see a need for this track with my current plans. Most places similar to Magic pan have at most three corn syrup tank cars, and maybe a box car or two by the main building, and the piping provided by the kit only can fit about 2 Atlas pressuraide cars, and maybe three single bay Air slide hoppers.
Well, I repositioned my layout again so that i have a better approach for building an addition, cleaned some stuff up, repaired some old buildings, and set them up for one more photo shoot. I was hoping i could save my Plastic Pellet Transfer, but there is no room anywhere else for the Magic Pan bakery's silos. Its looking like my new Magic Pan Bakery kit is going to dominate the layout.

The Plastic pellet transfer was the first structure i knew i wanted to have for an HO layout. It had all the piping and fittings, and looked a lot more interesting back in 2004 than the same old railroad Depots and other generic structures. I had originally intended to use George Roberts Printing, the Bralick Building, the Plastic Pellet Transfer, Oil Loading racks (and related oil structures like the truck loading dock and a guard house), and a Rix modern highway. anything else was just stuff to add in.

As of now, the "butterfly" station, Highway and the bralick building are the only kits that remain.

And so, transferring its last load of plastics to a DSM Melamine Pressuraide hopper, is the oldest structure on my layout.

[Image: 61809buildings007.jpg]

Here is a similar seen WAY back sometime in 2005. In fact, this photo was taken four years ago yesterday. I guess i went from a highschool freshmen to a college freshmen in that time span. Imagine that! You can see some key structures taking shape in the background.

[Image: ge44tonnerparked.jpg]

Similarly, American Hardware supply was one of my favorites. While originally i was unhappy to have to use it instead of Geo. Roberts printing, i grew to like the kit very much, and i am sad to see it go, but progress is progress! It is still in excellent shape, and like the plastic pellet transfer, probably has a place on anything new i build.

[Image: 61809buildings011.jpg]

Unfortunately, So much planning went into using this structure that i now have lots of people, vehicles, and scenery meant to support it's scene that now will have to find a new home. These workers and forklifts will have to find a new job. the news stand can probably make it in a similar location to where i intended for it. The truck will have to move with the building.

[Image: 61809buildings010.jpg]

A supervisor oversees the last load from American Hardware supply at this location.

[Image: 61809buildings008.jpg]

In March of 2005, nearly everything was a mock up made from either packing foam, paint cans, blocks, or Xbox game cases.

[Image: 1000039img2.jpg]

7 months later in October, my layout has the basic shape it will have retained for the past 4 years, even though its far from complete.

[Image: img0234.jpg]

If you want to know what it all looks like up to now, just scroll through previous pages, But now, the sun sets...

[Image: 73007036le5.jpg]
Looking Good. Cheers
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
Quick update-

I've ordered PRR Catenary insulator details (for the catenary), Fiber Optics (for the Arrows, and anything else that needs light), and fresh new decals for my C32-8

Speaking of my C32-8, i'm repainting it, since it's paint was a disaster the first time around. This time I plan to get the decal placement absolutely correct (there were some errors before), and the paint dead on.

The Arrow III EMU model only needs this lighting to be completed before i can finish the outside of it, so the fiber optics is welcome.

Also, My E44 is no longer painted. I have disassembled as much as i could without having to break out the soldering iron (its brass), and now i have a fresh, clean brass body shell. I left the walk way, side sills, and pilots alone, i can copy those with styrene easily, but the body shell will be difficult.

I plan to make a mold of the E44 and cast myself several new E44 bodies (then i can have a few PRR, Conrail, and i'll repaint the brass one back into Penn Central), and even see if i can't modify one casting to make an E44A, the 5,000 silicon-diode rectifier variant of the E44.

I plan to power them with modified E33 frames.

I also think i might have time to fix and finish the decals on my PL42AC and ALP46 models.
I just realized i totally forgot about this new locomotive i got months ago. for $30, i picked up a nice new Conrail SD9! I'd always liked my UP SD7 until it exploded, but now i have nearly the same thing, except more fitting to my railroad, so i can't complain.

you can also see in the picture that i have some catenary wire up, which is cool to say the least. Thats an Arrow III Electric Multiple Unit in the background.

[Image: catenaryproject034.jpg]

[Image: catenaryproject035.jpg]

some other cool pictures.

[Image: catenaryproject019.jpg]

I've stripped my E44's body shell, so hopefully i can make resin castings of it.

[Image: catenaryproject036.jpg]

A SEPTA train blows past Norfolk Southern 5287

[Image: catenaryproject037.jpg]
I've nearly resurrected my GP40FH-2 and C32-8. the C32-8 is closest to being finished, just needs final details and a decoder.

the layout is slowly moving forward. I reorganized my parts and tools, and hopefully all the part i'll need for my catenary will come in soon. its getting late in the summer!
Nice find on the SD7!

Keep up the good work, I enjoy watching your progress Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Wow...great work so far. I love those cat wires!
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)