I'm Still Wondering...
I'm still wondering, where are the loggers from the old forum...or just - "where are the loggers?", period.
Maybe they got treed off? Icon_lol
Cute. As soon as I'm done gagging with laughter, we can resume. Icon_lol

Come on, Squidbait; you of all people know what I'm talking about.
Sawing logs?

Sorry couldn't resist Icon_lol
Jim

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi">http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php">http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php</a><!-- m -->
MountainMan Wrote:I'm still wondering, where are the loggers from the old forum...or just - "where are the loggers?", period.

If there are specific people from the old forum that haven't joined us here, they may be unaware of the existence of Big Blue. If you have an e-mail address, send them a link. An alternative, if you have no e-mail info, is to PM them, including a link to either this forum in general, or, even better, to a specific thread that you think "might appeal to their interests". Wink
I'm told that it's poor "netiquette" to solicit Members from another forum, but that shouldn't preclude us from at least sharing our knowledge of the existence of another interesting site, such as Big Blue. Goldth

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:If there are specific people from the old forum that haven't joined us here, they may be unaware of the existence of Big Blue. If you have an e-mail address, send them a link. An alternative, if you have no e-mail info, is to PM them, including a link to either this forum in general, or, even better, to a specific thread that you think "might appeal to their interests". Wink
I'm told that it's poor "netiquette" to solicit Members from another forum, but that shouldn't preclude us from at least sharing our knowledge of the existence of another interesting site, such as Big Blue. Goldth

Wayne
It is indeed poor 'netiquette' to solicit members on other forums, so for this reason, we would prefer not to post specific links to Big Blue on other train forums. One very friendly forum invited us to post an announcement there when we first opened, but we declined since it just didn't feel right. We don't have a problem with links here to other forum threads, but some others may not take as kindly to them as we do. We don't even want to use others PM systems directly to let others know where we are. The best thing is to PM them and ask for the email address if you don't already know it,, so we can email them a link. Some forums allow you to email members directly, that's fair as well. This may be a bit overreacting, but we'd prefer to err on the side of keeping the peace.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Quote:This may be a bit overreacting, but we'd prefer to err on the side of keeping the peace.
Cheers I'll second that.
There are also a couple of "loggers" that may have chosen to.......remain "distant".

With all the "controversy", elsewhere in life, it is nice to have a place to escape to, that stays relatively peaceful.........like here 219
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
My bad. :oops: I recall the difficulties which I had trying to notify Zealot members of our new forum here, as many folks don't like to share their e-mail addresses. I sent many, many PMs requesting e-mail addresses (and included my own, of course), saying that I had information which I preferred to not share via PM. Misngth Most replied, eventually, with the requested info.

Wayne
So loggers don't use this forum because it's "more peaceful" elsewhere. I never would have come up with that answer, but...interesting.
MountainMan Wrote:So loggers don't use this forum because it's "more peaceful" elsewhere. I never would have come up with that answer, but...interesting.
Don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. What I said was we don't like to leave links to here on other forums or appear to be soliciting new members in any way or shape by using the facilities of other forums, just in order to "keep the peace". Pete agreed and said that it was nice to come here because it was so peaceful. No one has yet answered your question about why all the loggers from the old forum haven't showed up here. It's apparent that not too many of them are posting there either, so we all have to wonder...

To repeat Wayne's suggestion, if you know of any that might be missing and you know how to get a hold of them, please do so, we'd love to see them, and they are surely welcome.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
My memory is probably slipping in my auld age...but I don't remember all that many "loggers" in the auld place. The real home for all the serious loggers that I know is the 4L Yahoo Group (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4L/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4L/</a><!-- m -->). 4L stands for Loyal Legion of Logged-on Loggers. Not that I qualify as a serious logger, or even as a non-serious logger. But I am trying to recreate some of the dog hole logging with my 1900-era HOn3 line, Port Oford & Elk River Railway & Navigation Co - Land of the Tall Cedars.

Current status is now that it finally stopped snowing on weekends, I've only got to plant 25 more Ponderosa Pines and then I can build my benchwork for the test layout.

yours in having fun
Fred Wright
See Sumpter's reply. Everyone else is talking about the ethics of notifying the members of the old forum. Or is it that the thread got side-tracked?

I find it puzzling that none of the loggers came over to this forum, nor has the forum attracted any from "outside". I'm not a big believer is coincidence.
MountainMan Wrote:See Sumpter's reply. Everyone else is talking about the ethics of notifying the members of the old forum. Or is it that the thread got side-tracked?
I did, and I'm still confused. But then again, I easily confused. :? I hope you're not upset about us discussing the way we would like to find and contact these logging people that haven't showed up, just in case we did miss someone.

MountainMan Wrote:I find it puzzling that none of the loggers came over to this forum, nor has the forum attracted any from "outside". I'm not a big believer is coincidence.
How many people are we talking about? It could be that some got invited and didn't care to check us out, or at a minimum, register. Possibly they could be among the many that had old email addresses and their invitations bounced. (almost half the invites we sent out initially came back with bad email addresses). I don't know, at this point it's all speculation. If you do find out, I'm sure that Mikey and myself would be interested in knowing if there was a consorted effort to avoid us, we certainly didn't intend to ignore them, that's for sure.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I know whom you are referring to, and I think most of them were relatively new members late last year. I am hoping that those that got "left behind" for one reason or another noticed the lack of activity at the other site and figured things out.

My assumption (and I could be wrong) is that some of the newer members at the old site had little connection to many of the rest of us (because they were brand new) and didn't know what this switchover was about, so they never bothered to join over here. Or perhaps they never got the memo, in which case, MM, you may want to try sending them a PM at the old site, and let them know.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
ezdays Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:See Sumpter's reply. Everyone else is talking about the ethics of notifying the members of the old forum. Or is it that the thread got side-tracked?
I did, and I'm still confused. But then again, I easily confused. :? I hope you're not upset about us discussing the way we would like to find and contact these logging people that haven't showed up, just in case we did miss someone.

MountainMan Wrote:I find it puzzling that none of the loggers came over to this forum, nor has the forum attracted any from "outside". I'm not a big believer is coincidence.
How many people are we talking about? It could be that some got invited and didn't care to check us out, or at a minimum, register. Possibly they could be among the many that had old email addresses and their invitations bounced. (almost half the invites we sent out initially came back with bad email addresses). I don't know, at this point it's all speculation. If you do find out, I'm sure that Mikey and myself would be interested in knowing if there was a consorted effort to avoid us, we certainly didn't intend to ignore them, that's for sure.

Not upset at all. I've noticed that ignoring the actual question to focus on some other issue is quite common here. It reminds me of trying to talk to my ex-wife.