I'm Still Wondering...
doctorwayne Wrote:In a more serious vein, perhaps some of the "missing" loggers can be found at one of these sites:

Railroad Line Forums

The Whistle Post

All Model Railroading

Not being a modeller of the logging scene, I'm unsure of for whom in particular you're searching, but a quick "google" yielded those three links. There are many more to be had, too.

Wayne

The Whistle Post has always seemed to me to be a virtual copy of the Z site. I drop in now and then, but it is rare to find much that isn't copied eslewhere.
Just read over this thread...sorry for showing up late to the party! Misngth

Anyway, my own logging outfit, the "Big Tujunga Lumber Co." still has to get on the rails. I have a Bachmann 3 truck shay (unlettered, but destined to be a BTLC engine), a bobber caboose and IHC old time wood tank car as a water car lettered BTLC. And, finally after much searching, I found an MDC 'Twin Pack' of log cars. I kicked myself for not buying some when I had the chance all the way to Victoria, BC before finding these. They are still unassembled.

The BTLC was never meant to be a large outfit, at least not on the layout. It's always just been planned as a connection and branch to staging, never will full-blown sawmill, log camps, etc. So that may not qualify me as a logger, but eventually when I reach the point of developing that line...someday...I may be considerably more active in this vein. I live in the Pacific NW just a short trip away from the Mount Rainier Scenic and Chehalis-Centralia RR's, so it stands to reason that some of this logging stuff is going to rub off on me eventually. OH, and of course I've made a few pilgrimages to Cass and those memories are very rich years later.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Hi All......newby here, but I am involved in some other forums as I'm sure most of us are. Re: 'I'm still wondering'..... is a very good question from my point of view as well. I don't know anything about the history of this site and to be fair I've found lots of stuff of interest here......plan to stay here.

So-o-o-ooooo, I'm wondering where all the miners are. Would it make sense to move the narrow gauge to it's own forum topic? There's a lot of interest in it. It might also make a difference to have a dedicated 'Logging and Mining' forum topic as well. There ARE a lot of standard gauge mining railways, not so many logging, but they're out there. We might find then more miners and loggers that would show up here. Narrow gauge mining and logging should be welcome as well. As I look through this topic I find there is a preponderance of interest in the trains for their own sake.......nothing wrong with that, but what about mining and logging?

Just some thoughts.

Cheers!
Gord Schneider
Port Credit, Ontario
President and Chief Engineer
Kootenay Lakes Steam & Navigation Co. Ltd.
Hi Gord, and welcome!

I'm not the mod of this particular forum but I noticed your post. Do you think the inclusion of narrow gauge in the forum title might be making modelers of logging and mining think this isn't the place to post?

Ralph
alpha_1 Wrote:So-o-o-ooooo, I'm wondering where all the miners are. Would it make sense to move the narrow gauge to it's own forum topic? There's a lot of interest in it. It might also make a difference to have a dedicated 'Logging and Mining' forum topic as well. Cheers!

In my experience, the majority of logging, and mining discussions ( forum, and magazine ) seem to have Narrow Gauge, as the "introducing" factor.
There are some magazines like Timber Times, and the "Logging and Mining" Annual, that speak to the industries themselves, with the railroads as an almost secondary aspect.
There is a possibility that with the apparent popularity of ISL's ( Industrial Switching Layouts ), that lumber, and mined resources( coal, silver, gold, iron, aluminum, etc. ) might see some growth, but I suspect that the mining industry doesn't provide that well known a subject for model building. There is a lot more models of lumbering equipment, probably because it is the more "visible" of the two industries.

A search of "Mining" found 179 matches, here in the forum, so it gets mentioned, but apparently, not heavily participated in. The best I can offer, is for someone to start a mining thread, perhaps asking for, or posting, ideas, pictures, information, and see what turns up.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
some good points for sure, Sumpter....thanks. My thoughts were more along the lines of a dedicated topic on Logging & Mining combined but if most guys prefer it the way it is, that'll work just fine for me. Also, to be fair, I should tell you that my model railroad, just out of the planning stages, beginning construction is based on the railways of Southern British Columbia and these were mostly concerned with mining copper, gold, some zinc. In fact the whole transportation system in that area, including barge and sternwheeler, was geared to the mines. There was one narrow gauge railway, the rest, including the Canadian Pacific and the Burlington Northern, prevelent through this area's history were standard gauge.

Great stuff! 2285_
Gord Schneider
Port Credit, Ontario
alpha_1 Wrote:Also, to be fair, I should tell you that my model railroad, just out of the planning stages, beginning construction is based on the railways of Southern British Columbia and these were mostly concerned with mining copper, gold, some zinc. In fact the whole transportation system in that area, including barge and sternwheeler, was geared to the mines.

......that barge and sternwheeler going to be part of your layout?? That would be an interesting build. Wink Wink

Somewhere, I have a photo of a stern wheel paddle, log float pusher, powered by a standard "Donkey engine", that someone gave me in hopes that we would design and market a kit for.......someday, I really should draw up a set of plans.....
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
You betcha! I have a full set of plans for a lake Sternwheeler plus a set for a transfer slip and barge.....some decent general arrangement drawings of the lake tugs as well. I figure I'll actually get to building them sometime next year......late next year. My first priority, of course, is to get some benchwork done, then some track laid. This'll be handlaid all the way, using custom made turnouts (I can't build one to save my life! Wallbang ) and a lot of scratchbuilt everything else because there are few to no kits existing for the equipment I want to model.

I figure I'll need to live until I'm 105 at least to get this done 35 .........don't mind me, just imagineering somewhat. Glad I finally got started though.....it's been a very long time. The Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette has published some good looking mine structures in the last couple of editions, with more to come......and though I be a humble retired draftsman, that will save me a lot of time just drawing plans.

If I could have one wish granted right now, it would be to have the skills of a Tetters, for example......but I'll take what God gave me, put it to good use and see what I get.

Cheers!
Gord Schneider
Port Credit, Ontario