Bob_suruncle builds a layout
I actually have another kit sitting on the shelf and was considering writing a how too article with the build..... in my copious spare time... Icon_lol

I used this kit: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/360-302">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/360-302</a><!-- m --> with a bachmann power truck from the older version of their 44 ton locos (newer ones have central can motors and gear towers), I had to widen the hoods on each end of the loco slightly to allow the power truck to fit up underneath but outside of that the model is pretty much built the way it comes with some added grabs and details. I did add a small flat car permanently with pickups on the trucks to help with turnouts but I imagine that it would work fine with powered frogs. It will pull a couple of cars on level track but don't throw any grades at it Big Grin
Layout update.....

Kids have bought a house and the closing date is August 1 so no more building on the layout until it moves downstairs in 54 days, 11 hours and 43 minutes but whose counting. Icon_lol
Aahhh...A fresh start...Another chance to make all those mistakes we made in the first go around.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Have you tried to save that turnout? It looks like you could slide another rail in to replace the old one. You just have to remove the inner web of the rail where it touches the switch points.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
okay so I have been somewhat delinquent both in my posting and in my work on the layout. I backed off on the layout earlier this year when my son finally started looking seriously at buying a house and moving out of my new layout room.....errrrr.. his bedroom. He has since vacated the premesis, I have painted the room and appropriate blue color and then gotten side tracked with a new layout for the store...<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1100&p=62805#p62805">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1100&p=62805#p62805</a><!-- l -->

So not much has happened other than blue paint and some revisions/ additions to the track plan now that there is more space. Draft revisions are posted below... I am really torn as half of this layout is the existing switching layout from my old room.... I could probably do more with the space but it would mean scrapping what I had and I can't quite bring myself to do that. Only real issue is that there are no view blocks so when working on one of the peninsulas you will be able to see the other side of the layout. Track along the wall on the far right will continue down to staging

Attached Files Image(s)

No view blocks is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if the area you are modeling is a vast industrial switching district. How high will the layout be?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Hey! That's not the plan you showed me! Confusedhock:

How're you going to get into that thing? You're not as spry as you used to be... and neither am I, for that matter. Or maybe that was your plan... keep me out by forcing me to duckunder?
Ummm yeah I did send this one to you.... you just ignored it as you were too busy with OTHER stuff 24 Icon_lol 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Squid: If you recall where the door to the room is I was going to put in a removable duck under or swing bridge in there... you can see it outlined in the image about 3' over from the left on the bottom of the pic. With the size of the room I think around the walls is the only way to go as blobs out into the room with sufficient radius will not leave room for aisles and operators.

I am open to suggestions oh mighty Squidely the layout designer (or from others if they feel so inclined) but I would like to keep cutting on the existing layout to a minimum for the redesign.

The existing layout needs to be mounted back up on its brackets and legs which will require assistance from my 8 armed compadre... you can hold the sections in place whilst I put the screws in.
bob_suruncle Wrote:Ummm yeah I did send this one to you.... you just ignored it as you were too busy with OTHER stuff 24 Icon_lol 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Squid: If you recall where the door to the room is I was going to put in a removable duck under or swing bridge in there... you can see it outlined in the image about 3' over from the left on the bottom of the pic. With the size of the room I think around the walls is the only way to go as blobs out into the room with sufficient radius will not leave room for aisles and operators.

I am open to suggestions oh mighty Squidely the layout designer (or from others if they feel so inclined) but I would like to keep cutting on the existing layout to a minimum for the redesign.

The existing layout needs to be mounted back up on its brackets and legs which will require assistance from my 8 armed compadre... you can hold the sections in place whilst I put the screws in.

by the way... I recall a challenge regarding layout building.... how is your Christmas tree layout coming? I believe I have 2 operational layouts to my credit, one with hardshell scenery in place... and you have....................................... :mrgreen:
Bob, how far is the "reach in" the spur on the top right corner? It looks like it could be a 3 foot reach over some structures.
ocalicreek Wrote:No view blocks is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if the area you are modeling is a vast industrial switching district. How high will the layout be?

Galen

Wow Sorry Russ... a bit slow in responding!! Track level is 52ish inches for the most part
bob_suruncle Wrote:Wow Sorry Russ... a bit slow in responding!! Track level is 52ish inches for the most part

At 53 inches, how will you reach to the industry track at the upper left corner? It appears that you will need to reach over some structures, and it looks to be 30 inches - 3 feet in.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Bob, how far is the "reach in" the spur on the top right corner? It looks like it could be a 3 foot reach over some structures.

33" to the very end of the spur so worst case scenario is stand on a stool if there was a derailment in the very corner. With no buildings its quite easy to reach though
Squidbait dragged himself over for Beer and pasta last night and then we spent an hour or so putting the existing bench work up on its legs and fastening it to the walls in the new layout room. I went from no layout to 1/3 of the benchwork installed in a few minutes. Pic is grainy... yeah I promise to bring my good camera home... some day. That is the new store switching layout sitting on the table in middle of the room from this thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1100">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1100</a><!-- l -->

Attached Files Image(s)

Very cool and very exciting at the same time. Looking forward to your continued progress. Thumbsup