What to do here ?
What would you do here ? I need advice, please.
The track on the bottom goes to the table on the left, and the upper area could be a industry of some kind.
The original plan was to put a water feature of some kind, with a industry up above, and maybe a bridge or trestle, but it seems to me there are lots of other possibilities here. One is a coal dealer with a trestle for unloading on the upper track. Or, the track for the upper siding could drop down to the table on the left at a 3% grade. I don't know why that would be done, just an idea. The area measures 24x78 inches.
So, what would you do ?

Loren

Attached Files Image(s)

I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Same thing you're doing...
Stare at the space and wonder what I could do with it.

But...here's an idea.
Not knowing what era you're modeling, I assumed(You all know what happens there), you're doing steam era.
Soooo................

Arrows are numbered.
1. Could be a good spot for a boiler house.
2. Covered coal unloading for the boiler house. Maybe a coveyor to the boiler house. Assuming(again) that the factory still uses coal to power its boilers.
3. factory along the wall. Maybe with a loading dock.(think of the switching!)

Just an idea.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Thanks, That is what I need. Great ideas like that !
Sorry about leaving the era out, but there really is none. I like the mid fifties, but I also plan on running billboard reefers, so anything goes. I will be running steam and a s 2 diesel.

Loren
Quote:Same thing you're doing...
Stare at the space and wonder what I could do with it.
Icon_lol

Cheers

I'm thinking about it...

Some sort of extension of the upper line around the wall, paralleling the lower track and maybe crossing over it? If you can live with the incongruity, the curve along the lower track is a nice place for a flag stop and small siding, like say another cattle loading pen. You've got the length to create a two-division railroad. Lemme sketch and get back to you.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Here's what the area looks like on paper right now.

Loren

Attached Files Image(s)

Galen, somehow I missed your post. Sorry :oops:
Your idea sounds interesting. Can't wait to see it.

Loren
The upper line could come into a logging camp.You could have a river coming through and a waterfall.

The lower level could be the saw mill and maybe a small company town. General store, repair building, couple of large houses for the management, a boarding house and some company houses, a saloon. Goldth
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->
I like the idea of a narrow gauge line up top. Assuming (yeah, I am guilty of that too from time to time) you are building this in HO, an HOn3 line up there would be cool. I'd go up from there with mountain scenery and tall trees. Maybe a Sawmill at the far left that is 2 story perhaps, served by both the narrow gauge (raw lumber, logs) and the standard gauge below (finished lumber).
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Will and Tom, your ideas sound good. I could definitely see a logging camp up there. Narrow gauge too! And the lower level table would make a great logging town. I need to think about this. Thanks !
Oh, and your right Tom, it is ho. Can you imagine the layout I could have if this was n? But my eyes can't see that small.

Loren
Here's the track plan to give a better idea of what there is to work with. The area in question is at the upper left corner.
Ho scale, no specific era or industries, mix of steam and diesel power.
The yard and tables are built. I would like to leave the yard as is, but everything else is changeable.

Loren

Attached Files Image(s)

im kind of biased here as im building a logging layout,but a small narrow gauge line feeding a sawmill would look pretty slick,it can use the narrow gauge on one side for raw lumber and standard for finished.you could even go the easy route and make it dual.--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Thanks Josh.
Your the third person to mention logging. And not long ago Mountain Man had a thread wondering where all the loggers went to. :o
I am waiting to see what Galen comes up with. His idea sounds interesting also. Where are you, Galen ?

Loren
Loren,

I'm still here! Came up with an idea last night for the area in question, plus a couple minor changes on the peninsula. I am scannerless at the moment so if you're in the area drop in and I'll show you, or I should have everything up and running again shortly. I have confidence that you'll be able to take the concept and flesh it out in XtrkCad to look much better than my scrawl.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Galen, I sent you a p.m.

Loren