transition at top of a grade
I know how to ease into the bottom of a grade by using buisness cards but I am still confused as to how make an easement at the top of the grade! What would be the best method to use at the top of a 2% or 3% grade and approximately how much more length would be needed for the easement if any at all.

Thanks
Leon
If you are using WS inclines and risers with foam, like I do, I simply take my foam rasp and smooth out the transition by filing down the edge at the top of the grade. I'm bettin' you could do something similar with the other methods of construction.
I like to use the natural bend in Homasote: at least 1 foot each side of the crest and preferably 2. If it's straight I try to tack down the first foot on the grade and then bend it around to tack the last foot on the level. Then add risers to just support the bend.
Another trick is to use 2" thick foam sideways and carve a very large radius into it. I have a 60" radius template for this.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Hi Leon,

Leave the track loose after you've laid it where the transition is to be ..... then test a loco over it slowly seeing where the incline material needs to be trimmed under the track to allow a smooth transition, i use foam for building up inclines and take an old hacksaw blade under the track to trim parallel ..... keep testing the loco till your happy with it check the rails are level and straight as you do it, turn off the power to the layout when you are trimming.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
You didn't mention what you are using for subroadbed. If you are using plywood, it will bend into a natural easement, just be sure that you don't put a joint at the top or bottom of a grade.
Again---Thanks a bunch. I am sure all of your info will give nice grades.

leon train