Electrical issue-makes no sense
Steamtrains Wrote:It's the problem solving that makes this hobby so.....(fill in the blank)... Goldth

Ummm....

Fun!
Enjoyable!
Satisfying!
Pleasing!
Relaxing!
Soothing!
Calming!
Peaceful!
Comforting!

That's what you were thinking, right? Wink

35 357 Big Grin

Andrew
ABSOLUTELY...!!!! 357 357 357
Gus (LC&P).
It might be the alignment, or maybe a thin film of glue got deposited on the points or stock rails. When I ballast turnouts, I leave the points halfway open, and place a 1/8" (+/-) piece of balsa about 1-1/2" long in the gaps, between both the point and stock rails, making it almost impossible for glue to get in there and lock the points, or preventing good contact between them. You might want to place a piece of VERY fine piece of "wet" sandpaper (the black kind), close the points and rub it back and forth to remove any grime/glue that might have sneaked in there.
Gus (LC&P).
Andrew-you took the words right out of my mouth ( thinking only clean thoughts) Icon_lol
Gus-I got one track to work.It seemed that the switch point was not making full contact with the stock rail so I bent it ever so slightly and now it works. On the other track it could be some glue in the joiners.I put some alcohol on the joints thinking it might soften any glue (probably not) If that doesn't work I may end up soldering jumper wires,bypassing the joiners on the dead track.
Bob
Well after exhausting all options trying to get power to the last problem track I was left with no other option but to have the MOW crew tear it out.A new section will be installed soon. This was a choice I really didn't want to make but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do! Wallbang
Bob
If adding the jumpers is not feasible/desirable, what about feeders to each section of track. If you're using flex, it's only two per 3 foot section, plus the turnouts.

Andrew
Andrew- the layout is wired for DC operation.I have feeders in the point side of the turnouts resulting in power routing.As I said before-before I ballasted the track everything worked just fine.Then I ballasted and ended up with a dead section.When the switch is thrown one way the engine runs fine. When I move the points in the other direction-nothing. I tried everything-making sure there was no cement on the insides of the rails at the points,checked to see that the feeder wires had not gotten messed up when I cleaned off excess ballast,I even removed the rail joiners and cleaned the rail where they were and still nothing. If as you suggest that I add another feeder it would have to be on the track connecting to the turnout.Not sure if this would mess up the electrical flow.
Bob
foulrift Wrote:Andrew- the layout is wired for DC operation.I have feeders in the point side of the turnouts resulting in power routing.As I said before-before I ballasted the track everything worked just fine.Then I ballasted and ended up with a dead section.When the switch is thrown one way the engine runs fine. When I move the points in the other direction-nothing. I tried everything-making sure there was no cement on the insides of the rails at the points,checked to see that the feeder wires had not gotten messed up when I cleaned off excess ballast,I even removed the rail joiners and cleaned the rail where they were and still nothing. If as you suggest that I add another feeder it would have to be on the track connecting to the turnout.Not sure if this would mess up the electrical flow.
Bob

Getting the trackwork right can be a pain. You spend hours laying and testing until you get it problem-free, and then you ballast and have to fiddle with it all over again. Been there, done that. Just yesterday I decided I need to rip up a rail and re-lay it - not because it is that bad, but because it will be in a tunnel and I don't want to take chances.

Let's hope you get things working again soon - running trains is fun!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Kevin-I know what you mean.I just started to replace the couplers on my cars and wanted to run the to see how they ran.I'm still thinking of adding some weight to them.
I got a new section of track this afternoon and will start to reinstall it tonight after I get back from taking my son to Boy Scouts and yipee,he graduated middle school last night-on to high school.
EUREKA!! The new section works.I cut it to size and connected it to the turnout and ran the engine.No problem.When I make the connection permanent I am going to solder the joiners and add a small copper jumper to each rail.
My thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it. Now it's time to put this one to bed.
Bob