Dc throttles available?
Loren - that is the one I refered to above - I bought it ready built, rather than as parts - very pleased - I hadn't realised that it also has the ability to do an inertia simulation (well, Mine does!) You adjust the amount for your intended use by adjusting a pot through a hole in the bottom end - Off for switching and set it as you want for mainline running
nomad Wrote:Well, the Powercab gasped it's last breath and was consigned to the junk box.
After lots of thinking, I realized the only reason I wanted dcc was for locomotive sounds (someday). So, considering the price of all the dcc components I would need eventually, I decided to go back to dc. That is what I started with, so I have all the Atlas Selectors and Connectors I will need.
For walk around throttles, I am looking into these.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/851.HTM">http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/851.HTM</a><!-- m -->

Loren

The Varipulse is a great little throttle! and Ken is great to deal with. I had the 851 and really liked it until it died suddenly. I contacted Ken and he repaired it no charge years after I had purchased it. If I was running DC I would probably be using this throttle still.
Shortliner, thanks for the link and the good recommendation, I have e-mailed him and am waiting for a reply.
bob_suruncle, thanks. Two good reviews. Now I know I can't go wrong.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Loren - usual thing - looking for something else and came across this. HIH

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://home.iprimus.com.au/nuggles58/Making%20A%20Basic%20DC%20Controller.pdf">http://home.iprimus.com.au/nuggles58/Ma ... roller.pdf</a><!-- m -->
That is great. Even has the instructions. To bad it is just a basic throttle. If the Varipulse had build instructions I would try to build one of them. That is the problem. I don't understand the schematic.
Anyone willing to decipher the schematic and write up some instructions for the Varipulse Throttle?

Loren
How about these?

I just did a Google search on "DC pulse throttle schematic". It was the first hit.
That is great Squid, but can you translate? Schematics are Greek to me. If somebody could translate the schematic and write some instructions on the build, then I would attempt to build one. It seems all these sites assume you know what your looking at.

Loren
Loren,

If you're going to play with electronics, you've got to be able to speak the lingo, otherwise you may as well just have someone build it (or kit it) for you.

Start off by learning what the symbols on the schematic represent, and you'll be off to a good start. It's not like trying to learn to speak Russian or anything. Wink

OTOH, if you're not handy with a soldering iron, it can be frustrating to try to assemble an electronic circuit, since many components are sensitive to heat, and over-doing it can cook the component.

There's lots of Electronics-101 stuff on the web... read a bit, and see if you think you're up to it... it's not that hard once you've tackled a few projects, and the satisfaction of building your own is very nice.

Also, most electronic components are pretty cheap, so if you do toast one, it's not going to break the bank to replace it. OTOH, if you don't know how to test the components to see if they're working, then debugging your new device can be a frustrating experience if it doesn't work right off the bat.

From the sounds of it, I think you might be better off just getting an RTR throttle like the Stapleton one.
Squidbait Wrote:Loren,

If you're going to play with electronics, you've got to be able to speak the lingo, otherwise you may as well just have someone build it (or kit it) for you.

Start off by learning what the symbols on the schematic represent, and you'll be off to a good start. It's not like trying to learn to speak Russian or anything. Wink

OTOH, if you're not handy with a soldering iron, it can be frustrating to try to assemble an electronic circuit, since many components are sensitive to heat, and over-doing it can cook the component.

There's lots of Electronics-101 stuff on the web... read a bit, and see if you think you're up to it... it's not that hard once you've tackled a few projects, and the satisfaction of building your own is very nice.

Also, most electronic components are pretty cheap, so if you do toast one, it's not going to break the bank to replace it. OTOH, if you don't know how to test the components to see if they're working, then debugging your new device can be a frustrating experience if it doesn't work right off the bat.

From the sounds of it, I think you might be better off just getting an RTR throttle like the Stapleton one.

Squid, thanks for being honest. I am waiting for a reply now to buy at least one throttle. That would give me a stationary for the the yard and a walk around for the rest.

Loren
I built two of the "basic throttle" from the site Squid posted....At first it seemed a little daunting, but after having the schematic "translated" for me by my son, it was quite easy to do.... They're unplugable so can be used at various sites around the layout.

Attached Files Image(s)

Gus (LC&P).
Hi Gus.
How is the low speed operation?

Loren
Hey Loren....The controller works great..!! Comparable to the best of commercial packs I've used in the past. Slow speed is as good as you'll find anywhere. Hope this helps.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
It sure does. I have no problem trying to build something if I have some pointers on how to proceed. Do you have any idea what it cost in materials to build this? And where did you find the parts?
Thanks

Loren
Hi...All of the parts can be found at Radio Shack, with the exception of the voltage regulator, the OP AMP, and the "Darlington" transistor. I used a PC board and the case from RS, makes building it much easier. I also added the green light to indicate the unit is ON, and the ON/OFF switch. The other parts I ordered from Newark Electronics, they're surprisingly cheap..!!
Go for it...you'll enjoy it...!! Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks Gus!

Loren