Using scale people ?
Now that I am entering the final stages of my layout construction,I thought it might be a good idea if I asked the forum members their thoughts on using people on their layouts. This is one element that I never gave much thought. Do they tend to add or detract from a scene? If for example their is a scene at a freight platform and there are people but no trucks or freight cars, does having people in the scene make any sense or not?
I'd be interested in hearing your views.
Bob
In the sort of scene you described, I suppose having workers there would add to the scene - as long as there weren't too many. I suppose that's the key, make sure the people are suited to their location, and you dont add too many (a mistake i made on my last layout.)
Tom (TC) - Creator of Extremely Miniature Layouts on Disks! See Them All, and More on My Website. Latest Update: Jan '10.
[Image: 200549bd0989263ef.png]
Adding people definitely adds to a scene/layout
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
Just because there is no freight cars, doesen't mean there's no work on the dock.
Placing palletts, bags, or other types of freight with people carring boxes, using forklifts or such on the dock, could mean they are getting ready for the next load, or finishing up a load they had to hurry to get off the truck, or box car.

I always try to have my loading dock doors open, with a psuedo interior with some sort of activity going on inside. Structures, straight from the kits, usually are built, like its Sunday, all the doors are all closed, and everyone is home watching the race.

Lately, I've also been putting LPB's in my cars. Can't see having traffic on the road, with cars steered by ghosts.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I think people can really enhance model scenes as long as they are reasonably well made. Human figures that look like toys seem to detract from even the best scenes.

Ralph
Ralph said basically what I was going to, I'll just add that the more toy like ones can look fine in the background.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
A lot of good points made.I appreciate them all. OK-if a human figure looks toy like,which mfg makes the better looking figures?
Bob
Prieser, Merten and even Woodland Scenics. They are a little pricey, but they are the best looking ones.
Life-Like and Bachmann, do make LPB's, they are cheaper, and with a little work would look ok. I usually hack these up for drivers in my cars. They would also make good background and structure interior people straight from the box.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
88fan-Thanks.I've seen the WS figures and they are nice looking.This will probably be one of the last things I do on the layout.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Prieser, Merten and even Woodland Scenics. They are a little pricey, but they are the best looking ones.
Life-Like and Bachmann, do make LPB's, they are cheaper, and with a little work would look ok. I usually hack these up for drivers in my cars. They would also make good background and structure interior people straight from the box.

The way prices keep rising, Model Power painted figures are as much as Woodland Scene at my LHS Nope
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
If you don't mind painting them yourself, you can get unpainted Preiser figures quite reasonably. I think if I remember correctly they are about 120 figures for around $20.00, maybe a little more now. They are very easy to paint. I leave them on the sprue and paint one color at a time on a bunch of figures. I start with skin colors, painting the figures colors ranging from light flesh colors to dark browns. Then I paint hair color, and finally paint the clothes last.
I think TC said it the best. Make sure the people are suited to the scene or area. I have seen scenes spoiled by having the wrong figures in the wrong place.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Even though the LPB's sometimes looks silly, a completely vacant town looks worse. Drivers in cars on the roads are a must. But drivers in parked cars makes no sense. Likewise, an engineer in a locomotive that is moving looks right, but an engineer in every locomotive in a diesel consist is incorrect. Same could be said for passenger cars. Seeing them full of passengers while moving is good, but seeing them full of passengers while at a terminal is not so good. It takes some thought to populate a layout in a believable fashion, but having an unpopulated layout feels like the rapture.

Painting people is relatively easy, and somewhat fun, but definitely cheaper than the painted figures. Pick up one of those optivisors or some kind of magnifying lamp if you don't have one already. Then, head down to the craft store and pick up a dozen or more bottles of assorted craft paints (the ones that cost about a buck fifty per bottle) and a teeny brush or two. Then, while watching your favorite sporting event or listening to your favorite radio program, start painting. You will quickly develop your own techniques. If you have train buddies in town, perhaps you can get together and have figure painting parties. I could easily paint 10 during a football game. During the course of a single NFL season, I would have more than I need for my entire layout.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
oh, and the unpainted atlas ones are cheap, but it seems like there are only about 4-5 usable people in the whole box. The rest are duplicates or have ridiculous poses.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Should of mentioned the right era also.
Don't think you want a woman passenger, wearing short shorts, and a tank top, on the platform of a station, waiting for SP's Daylight Special., or a fair maiden and dapper gentleman from the 1880's getting ready to board the Acela..

Interesting, but out of place.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87