NW 58th St., Miami
Welcome Steve Welcome
It's always nice to see new members arrive. Kick back and enjoy the neighborhood! 2285_
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Welcome Steve Welcome
It's always nice to see new members arrive. Kick back and enjoy the neighborhood! 2285_
Pete

Thanks Pete. Much appreciated.

Steve
Hi Steve, welcome to the Gauge Welcome and thank you for your kind comments!
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Hi Steve, welcome to the Gauge Welcome and thank you for your kind comments!

Thanks Kurt. I have just managed to get to the end of the thread (a most enjoyable and informative journey), only to find that the layout is no longer in existence Eek However, I have followed the link to your new enterprise and, having subscribed to the thread, look forward to developments. One quick question. When cutting out window openings from 80 thou plasticard, what method do you use, as the normal score and bend until it snaps method is not really applicable? Do you just keep scoring half the line until right through and then start from the other corner, ensuring accurate alignment with the first cut, or is there another technique to ensure sharp, accurate openings?

Regards

Steve
Steve, in the end happened what I was concerned about when I started to build this layout: I got bored by the uniform look of the structures - all about the same shape and height and all concrete buildings. BTW, when you followed the link to my Plymouth Street layout, you will see that I no longer work on it. Unfortunately it did not work out as I thought it would, though building a Plymouth Street diorama is still high on my list of things to do. If you want to take a look, this is the link to my current layout: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4455">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4455</a><!-- l --> .
When I cut out openings for windows, I am scoring only from on side until right through and I only cut right through on three sides of the openings. You can just scribe the forth side and then bend and snap. When cutting openings for masonry windows I always make the openings a bit too small, so that a little cutting and sanding is necessary to make the windows fit.
Kurt
Thanks Kurt, that's useful to know about the windows. I hadn't realised that you had stopped working on the one layout - I hadn't got to the end of the thread. Have subscribed to the latest, it's looking very interesting all ready, and I see you have got more height variation in your buildings as well. keep up the excellent work.

Regards

Steve
I need about 3 actual feet of chain link in Z scale.Any volinteers? Eek :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I was looking at your East Rail layout. You mention that your layout has removable extensions. I have a situation where I need to use my layout room for other things. How and where did you store the extensions? How did you connect them? Any information would be helpful. Thanks, JK.
Catt Wrote:I need about 3 actual feet of chain link in Z scale.Any volinteers? Eek :mrgreen:

Wallbang Wallbang and I just broke my last, steel micro wire, knitting needles Wallbang Wallbang Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Hi kinjo44, welcome to the Gauge! Sorry for the late reply.

I wanted to just plug in the extensions without having to crawl under the layout and use nuts and bolts to connect everything. I store the extensions on a wardrobe in the bedroom. These pics show the extension on the left side:

[Image: m11.jpg]

[Image: m12.jpg]

[Image: m13.jpg]

[Image: m14.jpg]

[Image: m15.jpg]

[Image: m16.jpg]

Here are three pics that show how I connected the extension on the right end (the short leg of the L). Because I had two brackets to hold the extension in place, I used them to make the electrical connections, so that I did not have to use an extra plug to power the tracks on the extension.

[Image: m24.jpg]

[Image: m25.jpg]

[Image: m26.jpg]
Kurt
Awesome thread I am planning on building a switching layout next year and your photos are fantastic. look forward to seeing more posts
Welcome to the Gauge Welcome .

Thank you for the kind remaks on my Miami layout, but there will not be any more posts on this thread as I tore the layout down 2 1/2 years ago. I started working on a new layout 2 months ago, perhaps you like this one too: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6560">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6560</a><!-- l -->
Kurt