NW 58th St., Miami
Cant see the pics in this thread either for some reason Nope Can anyone else? :oops:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
I see the pics now in this thread as well 2285_

Kurt, that is some BEAUTIFUL work. I love the buildings and how much detail you put into them!!!

One thing, what did you use for the yellow metal? around the bottom of the pole? That is really cool!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Goldth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
steinjr Wrote:I enjoy watching the work you post. As always, it looks great!

Hey Stein, that’s mutual Wink .

Ralph, Josh, to make this structure look good is pretty easy, I just have to copy what I see in the pic of the prototype ...

After sleeping on how to go on building Sentry, I decided to build the styrene structure all around my cardboard mock-up. Makes it much easier to put the walls together and saves me a lot of styrene I’d otherwise need for the roof and to brace the walls on the inside.

[Image: m45.jpg]

I am pretty content with the building so far, but I bet you all know the phenomenon that pictures reveal all your mistakes. By looking at the next pic, I can see something’s wrong with the rear of the structure. If I could only grasp what it is ... I guess I’d better sleep on it ....

[Image: m47.jpg]
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:I am pretty confident with the building so far, but I bet you all know the phenomenon that pictures reveal all your mistakes. By looking at the next pic, I can see something’s wrong with the rear of the structure. If I could only grasp what it is ... I guess I’d better sleep on it ....

Looks like a big chunk of the wall is missing. Icon_lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I appreciate you taking the time to share with us. You've given me some really neat ideas for structures of my own. Thumbsup
Fantastic modeling & photos Kurt!
I especially love your beautifully weathered RR equipment!
I also like it when I see structures that are scaled really well the way yours are...The structures look large enough to support some heavy rail traffic!
I remember this guy from back in the days when I subscribed to Model RR Mag.
I think his name was David Barrows or something like that...He had a layout that was called the Santa Fe Cat Mountain Div. & he was a proponent of what he called the "Domino" system of layout design...He built his HO layout in these 2x4 modules...
I picked up a lot of great ideas from reading his stuff, particularly to do with industrial modeling & switching ops...
Your layout reminds me a lot of his stuff, although I think you've done a much better job with the equipment!
Great work!
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
tetters Wrote:Looks like a big chunk of the wall is missing. Icon_lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I appreciate you taking the time to share with us. You've given me some really neat ideas for structures of my own. Thumbsup

Really??????? You got a sharp eye! Thanks for giving me the hint ......... Goldth Goldth Icon_lol

Tetters, sharing my modeling is part of the fun and I’d feel honored if anybody was inspired by what I am doing.

BTW, if anyone likes to have one of the drawings I am doing for my structures, just tell me.
Kurt
Drew Wrote:I remember this guy from back in the days when I subscribed to Model RR Mag.
I think his name was David Barrows or something like that...He had a layout that was called the Santa Fe Cat Mountain Div. & he was a proponent of what he called the "Domino" system of layout design...He built his HO layout in these 2x4 modules...
I picked up a lot of great ideas from reading his stuff, particularly to do with industrial modeling & switching ops...
Your layout reminds me a lot of his stuff, although I think you've done a much better job with the equipment!
Great work!

David Barrow. Yes - he was one of the people who popularized building layouts in "dominos" (modules).

For another cool application of this principle, have a look at Model Railroad Planning 1999, page 66. "Big Industries in Small Spaces: Industrial Dominoes" by Linda Sand. She draws up track plans for 6-7 different industries which each has 3-5 tracks and quite a few car spots for different types of cars, and will fit into the typical corner spot on a layout.

Sorry about the short hijack of your thread, Kurt.

Smile,
Stein
Stein, you’re welcome!

Drew, thank you for your kind words. As you may have seen, I like to model prototypical scenes and I’d rather have two big industries than six small ones on my layout. This Miami switching district with all these warehouses so close together is something special and I think it lends itself to being modeled. It allows to model some realistic scenes almost without scenic compression, even on a small layout.
Kurt
I always get the same feeling when you start posting project threads....something special is going on! Thumbsup This one is no exception.
It all seems simple when you explain it (maybe it is).......but pulling it off is another thing entirely! That is where you excell, my friend!
Beautiful work!!!!
It just looks right!
Steve
Steve, my friend, thank you for your kind words – but hey, you should know that it is as simple as it seems to be Wink (Wollenberg??!!!)

After Tetters gave me the hint, I was able to finish Sentry industries, well almost. I still have to add some details to the roof, but that has to wait until it is painted and painting the structure has to wait until I can spray it with a primer and that has to wait until it is warm enough outside to use a spray can .... life ain’t easy Nope Goldth . So here are the last pics of Sentry for now, I don’t want to bore you to death.

[Image: m48.jpg]

[Image: m46.jpg]
Kurt
Fantastic attention to detail! Top notch work, I must say. Artistry in styrene. Cheers
Wow, even unpainted, that building looks great! Thumbsup That second picture, with the sky and the cars and the power poles is already looking real! Great job, and as always, thank you for sharing your wonderful skills!
Scott
Kurt, i dont know what to say, that second picture is absolutely just beautiful!!! Excellent work my friend, you are making me very jealous and anxious to start my M&ET mods. delays delays delays, im hoping soon i will be able to start them

anyways, you did an amazing job on that scene, and as it stands right now, it looks beautiful, and its not even painted yet! i cant wait to see it all painted up, keep up the beautiful work Kurt Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
cnw1961 Wrote:(snip)After Tetters gave me the hint,...(snip)

Hey. Anything I can do to help man. 35 :mrgreen:

BTW - It looks utterly fantastic!
Those two pics of the buildings and cars could fit right in in a modern art museum. As they are, they are outstanding.
I can't wait to see them "finished"... Worship Worship Worship
Gus (LC&P).